Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>For Those That Close Or Reduce Days During The Summer...
LittleScholars 09:40 AM 06-23-2017
I'm considering a change in summer care beginning next summer when over half of my group heads off to kindergarten. This summer I'm finding that most of my families want to keep their kiddos home more this summer and they don't want to pay for their spaces. They ARE paying, but I find myself not loving this arrangement and wishing I had just closed for at least part of the summer. I now have my own five month old and I'd love to spend the time with him. If I plan ahead I can swing it financially, and I work with mostly teachers kiddos. The other kiddos will be old enough to go to camp for the summer if they choose to remain enrolled.

I'm interested in learning a few things from those of you that do this:
-Do any of you close entirely? For how long?
-Do any of you close for part of the summer or part of the week?
-Does doing this kill your t/s (I plan to crunch numbers and re-write my policies as soon as my graduate classes are over for the summer)?
-What an I not considering?
trix23 09:59 AM 06-23-2017
I wouldn't consider doing this because I want consistent enrollment year-round. Or tout could increase your rates for teachers so that they pay in 9 months what a normal amount would be in 12 months. An adjusted rate. Or have them pay 1/2 rate each week to hold the spot.
LittleScholars 10:10 AM 06-23-2017
Originally Posted by trix23:
I wouldn't consider doing this because I want consistent enrollment year-round. Or tout could increase your rates for teachers so that they pay in 9 months what a normal amount would be in 12 months. An adjusted rate. Or have them pay 1/2 rate each week to hold the spot.
Thanks, Trix .

I'm actually not that concerned with the payment piece. I'm at a point that I'd rather have less money and more time with my family. I do think I could raise rates if I did this. I don't think I'd lose a single client if I closed for all or part of the summer, so I suppose my main questions and concerns are:

-Am I making a bad business decision regarding taxes? My time/space already isn't crazy high (I do think it was calculated too low, as I have a whole floor designated to care, but I don't want it to go much lower).
-What creative solutions for scheduling do other programs have? I work super hard to get kids on a great schedule, so I don't love the idea of undoing that work completely. Also, I think as my guy gets older I might want his friends around throughout the summer at least some of the time. I think I'm a better candidate for closing part of the summer.

I allow families to drop back to two days a week during the summer, but they have to decide to do so at enrollment. I've remained full during the summers by allowing other part-time families to pick up extra days. Last summer families loved this. This summer, it seems most families are realizing how fast the time with their kiddos goes and they want to spend as much time together as possible. I'm still full each day, but parents have requested reduced time and pay. I'm upholding the contract, but it feels lame.
LittleScholars 10:11 AM 06-23-2017
Originally Posted by trix23:
You're making me realize that I do need a way to hold spots, and it needs to be enough to make them decide in advance if they plan to return.
kendallina 10:33 AM 06-23-2017
I closed last year for summer. Some years I do only part time or different days in the summer. It works for me for a couple of reasons-- I run a preschool. So my kids are old enough to attend a local camp at our rec center (or some families hire a nanny). Families enroll on a school- year basis with me. Also, I live in a town where lot of families have reduced work schedules in the summer. So many only need me a few days a week when school's out.

I found it didn't really kill my t/s % much at all when I closed and maybe only affected my taxes by a couple hundred dollars if that.

Alternatively, you could consider dropping down to one kiddo or a family of two if you want a reduced easier summer and still want to keep your ts%.

ETA: Some years I run a Summer Camp for 3-4 hours/day. Then everyone's gone by 1pm and I have the rest of my days with my kids...
Annalee 10:35 AM 06-23-2017
I work alot of 3-day weeks in the Summer and I charge 52 weeks a year.....this way I get pay but also get extra family time!
LittleScholars 10:53 AM 06-23-2017
Originally Posted by kendallina:
I closed last year for summer. Some years I do only part time or different days in the summer. It works for me for a couple of reasons-- I run a preschool. So my kids are old enough to attend a local camp at our rec center (or some families hire a nanny). Families enroll on a school- year basis with me. Also, I live in a town where lot of families have reduced work schedules in the summer. So many only need me a few days a week when school's out.

I found it didn't really kill my t/s % much at all when I closed and maybe only affected my taxes by a couple hundred dollars if that.

Alternatively, you could consider dropping down to one kiddo or a family of two if you want a reduced easier summer and still want to keep your ts%.

ETA: Some years I run a Summer Camp for 3-4 hours/day. Then everyone's gone by 1pm and I have the rest of my days with my kids...
Summer camp!!! I LOVE this!!
kendallina 10:58 AM 06-23-2017
Originally Posted by LittleScholars:
Summer camp!!! I LOVE this!!
I prefer part time summer camp to what Im doing this summer-full day every day. The money isgood with full day though.

Summer Camp is super fun though, I plan out different themes (my preschool is much more child led...) and we are busy busy busy. Water Play a few times a week. Lots of time hiking in my woods and lots of awesome messy art.
LittleScholars 10:59 AM 06-23-2017
Originally Posted by Annalee:
I work alot of 3-day weeks in the Summer and I charge 52 weeks a year.....this way I get pay but also get extra family time!
This sounds amazing! I should have added that I have at least a few families that will send kids if they have to pay, even if they would rather have them home (no judgment, they are totally justified doing so). And it doesn't matter to me if I have 1 or 5 kids, I still have to stay home and provide care. And I find fewer kids to be harder because they miss their friends.

So, perhaps I'll borrow from all of these ideas and just open a few days a week.
LittleScholars 11:03 AM 06-23-2017
I prefer part time summer camp to what Im doing this summer-full day every day. The money isgood with full day though.

Summer Camp is super fun though, I plan out different themes (my preschool is much more child led...) and we are busy busy busy. Water Play a few times a week. Lots of time hiking in my woods and lots of awesome messy art.
How did you determine interest and did you require attendance? My only hesitation would be switching to this model and finding out only one kid will be attending. To me, these are the hardest days. The kids find such joy in each other, you know?

My program sounds similar to yours. I only accept older kiddos (except my own baby who tags along for all activities), and I run a preschool program during the school year. I switch to "summer camp" in the summer, but it is full day. I could do so much more and really make it campy if it was limited days/hours.
kendallina 11:15 AM 06-23-2017
How did you determine interest and did you require attendance? My only hesitation would be switching to this model and finding out only one kid will be attending. To me, these are the hardest days. The kids find such joy in each other, you know?

My program sounds similar to yours. I only accept older kiddos (except my own baby who tags along for all activities), and I run a preschool program during the school year. I switch to "summer camp" in the summer, but it is full day. I could do so much more and really make it campy if it was limited days/hours.
When I first opened I ran a part time 2/day week preschool. So running a part time Summer Camp was an easy transition.

For the last few years Ive been full time during the school year. (children must attend 5 days/week at least 6 hours/day). I live in a small town and knows lots of families and *think* I could still find enough kids that just wanted a few hours/day.

If you don't absolutely need the money, you could always try it out next summer and see if there's interest. For me, I only ran the day if I had at least three kids attending (usually I have 6).

I also found that having a sign up sheet in my parent area that clearly shows the days I have available helps hugely! I would get a parent in who realizes they could be kid-free for the next morning and they'd snap it up. I still do this now for kids vacations and it usually fills up.

I now have some families that come see me every summer ( and sometimes only for summer as their kids get free -special needs- preschool).
LittleScholars 11:21 AM 06-23-2017
When I first opened I ran a part time 2/day week preschool. So running a part time Summer Camp was an easy transition.

For the last few years Ive been full time during the school year. (children must attend 5 days/week at least 6 hours/day). I live in a small town and knows lots of families and *think* I could still find enough kids that just wanted a few hours/day.

If you don't absolutely need the money, you could always try it out next summer and see if there's interest. For me, I only ran the day if I had at least three kids attending (usually I have 6).

I also found that having a sign up sheet in my parent area that clearly shows the days I have available helps hugely! I would get a parent in who realizes they could be kid-free for the next morning and they'd snap it up. I still do this now for kids vacations and it usually fills up.

I now have some families that come see me every summer ( and sometimes only for summer as their kids get free -special needs- preschool).
This is all SO helpful! I imagine you ran the program at a somewhat discounted rate? How did you determine how much to charge for the summer program? In some ways, I think it could be just as expensive to run.
kendallina 05:15 PM 06-23-2017
This is all SO helpful! I imagine you ran the program at a somewhat discounted rate? How did you determine how much to charge for the summer program? In some ways, I think it could be just as expensive to run.
Yes, I definitely had to watch my budget in the summer months. And yes, it was a greatly discounted rate. I charged 1/2 what I would normally charge for a day. I think I could have gotten away with charging a couple dollars more than half once my program was established. There's no way I could have charged full day or even close to it. But, I did it to be with my kiddos and it was great to still make a little bit of money.
kendallina 05:22 PM 06-23-2017
More on the budget...

I do find that I use more consummables during the summer months. Themes like 'Potions Week' and "Kitchen Science" eat into my budget. I could be more careful on these weeks, but I like to have fun too! Themes like, "Mysteries of the Forest" and "ICE!" are free!! I try to find a balance.
flying_babyb 07:22 PM 06-24-2017
if your a camper, camping week was always a blast, finishing with a special "parents night out" where the kids get to spend the night and sleep in a tent and do campout activites, for a upcharge of course!
Tags:4 day week
Reply Up