Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>State Assistant Payments
melissa ann 01:17 PM 01-30-2010
First of all, I should have listened to everyone who said don't bother with it. It's more of a headache than anything. Okay, with that being said. I told grandpa okay I would do it. So I paid the $36 for fingerprinting, had my appt with CCIS to do all the paperwork. I gave grandpa an agreement for him to sign stating he would pay any and all fees not covered by CCIS. That was like 2 weeks ago and nothing. 2nd, he told them that dcb is here 5 days a week. He is not. Most weeks it's the 3 day min. I told him verbally and in the agreement that he needs to call them with the schedule if boy is not here everyday. He has not. For Jan. boy was here 3 days week for 3 weeks and 5 days one week. So I called CCIS to ask how to do I go about marking the paper. I explained to his caseworker that boy is not here everyday which was a surprised to her. She was going to call him Friday. Well, anyway, I got the check for Dec. which boy was here everyday for the first 2 weeks. The last two for only 3 days but it was the holidays so I marked the form as such. So I got the check today from them and it has a $20 carecheck processing fee. What is that? Is that taken out once a month? My check with that deduction was only $19. Definetly not worth my time. Grandpa thought he would be making good on this. But if he were to bring boy here for 5 days w/state help he would owe $69/wk. As of now, with my 3 day min rate, he only pays $54. So in the end, he would be paying more since he's not normally here 5 days. I"m frustrated already. I've done more running around and making phone calls for what? Grandpa is not doing what he was told and calling in with any schedule changes. I am not going to mark it like he was here and he wasn't. I'm covering my butt. I think he was annoyed when I told him I called CCIS Wed to ask some questions. CCIS is paying $11.10 per day but for 3 days that comes to $33.30 and his weekly co-pay is $35. So CCIS won't pay for anything that week.
mac60 07:14 AM 01-31-2010
So so sorry you are having to deal with this, and that grandpa screwed you in a sense. I would tell him no more. This is the rate like it or leave. Why is it that those who are given things "for free or reduced rate" are always out to screw those who help them. He should be forced to be removed from the program for lying about the days. Grr, makes me mad.
momma2girls 07:47 AM 01-31-2010
I would definately not do this any longer!! I used to do state funding, and it was totally not worth it. I was making $14.00 a day, compared to the reg. $25.00 a day that I normally would charge. This is $11.00 per day losss per child. THis adds up to alot of money monthly, yrly. etc.... plus all the hassle of the paperwork. Then to top things off, I had to wait appr. 3 weeks, after the month was over for my paycheck!! SO not only are you behind for the whole month, then waiting for a paycheck!!!!! TOTALLY NOT WORTH IT!!!!!!!!!!!
gbcc 08:23 AM 01-31-2010
I have a family on DSS. We just got letters to sign stating that if DSS doesn't pay my going rate I wont charge the family for the extra. I called them up and told them that their client needed to find another provider. They get enough for free. Why should I suffer because they are happy living off the state? That is BS. They may be poor, but I'm not getting dragged down with them! I feel I should have the right to make them pay the difference, I always have before. It is rediculous because a provider from my town refused a DSS client. The client and DSS sued the provider for discrimination and won.
momma2girls 09:13 AM 01-31-2010
Originally Posted by gbcc:
I have a family on DSS. We just got letters to sign stating that if DSS doesn't pay my going rate I wont charge the family for the extra. I called them up and told them that their client needed to find another provider. They get enough for free. Why should I suffer because they are happy living off the state? That is BS. They may be poor, but I'm not getting dragged down with them! I feel I should have the right to make them pay the difference, I always have before. It is rediculous because a provider from my town refused a DSS client. The client and DSS sued the provider for discrimination and won.
OMG!!! That is unbelievable!! If they paid the same amt. that we charged, it would be a little bit different!! I can't have a state paid take up a spot for only $14.00 per day for 10 hrs. daily. THat is only $1.40 an hr!!! I just can't do it!!!
Former Teacher 09:17 AM 01-31-2010
Originally Posted by mac60:
Why is it that those who are given things "for free or reduced rate" are always out to screw those who help them.

So VERY true! I am so sick and tired of people who are on state help. Now please don't get me wrong, there are people out there who do need state help. However I am speaking from the vast majority of those who keep out popping babies like there is no tomorrow and it's us taxpayers who foot the bill.

Speaking of knowing, my sister moved from IL to TX in 1997. Since her child support at the time didn't take affect she applied for food stamps (no other state aid). For 3 people (herself and 2 young daughters), she was getting a measly $150.00 a month. Within 3 months, naturally her support started to come in so she got herself taken off state help. Guess what? She had to PAY IT BACK.

On the flip side: I use to work with a woman who has 5 kids and is on every state/federal help out there. Her monthly food stamps for 6 people is well over 1,000 a month. She is working 50+ hours a week and because of all the kids it is like the lottery at tax time. Extra bonus is around the holidays because of family services, Angel Trees at Wal-Mart, etc. Anyway she has been on aid since her first born which is 19, yes 19 YEARS ago. Why isn't something done about this? Shouldn't there be a time limit?

Again, there are people out there who do honestly need it. But it's people like my former co worker that make me furious at our government.

As for Melissa, I am SO sorry that you have to deal with this. Not to rub it in your face but yes you should have listened to your online sisters j/k

However you did it out the kindness of your heart so we understand. Please keep us posted
momma2girls 09:36 AM 01-31-2010
[quote=Former Teacher;19282]
Originally Posted by mac60:
Why is it that those who are given things "for free or reduced rate" are always out to screw those who help them. QUOTE]

So VERY true! I am so sick and tired of people who are on state help. Now please don't get me wrong, there are people out there who do need state help. However I am speaking from the vast majority of those who keep out popping babies like there is no tomorrow and it's us taxpayers who foot the bill.

Speaking of knowing, my sister moved from IL to TX in 1997. Since her child support at the time didn't take affect she applied for food stamps (no other state aid). For 3 people (herself and 2 young daughters), she was getting a measly $150.00 a month. Within 3 months, naturally her support started to come in so she got herself taken off state help. Guess what? She had to PAY IT BACK.

On the flip side: I use to work with a woman who has 5 kids and is on every state/federal help out there. Her monthly food stamps for 6 people is well over 1,000 a month. She is working 50+ hours a week and because of all the kids it is like the lottery at tax time. Extra bonus is around the holidays because of family services, Angel Trees at Wal-Mart, etc. Anyway she has been on aid since her first born which is 19, yes 19 YEARS ago. Why isn't something done about this? Shouldn't there be a time limit?

Again, there are people out there who do honestly need it. But it's people like my former co worker that make me furious at our government.

As for Melissa, I am SO sorry that you have to deal with this. Not to rub it in your face but yes you should have listened to your online sisters j/k

However you did it out the kindness of your heart so we understand. Please keep us posted
THis is what I have done as well, I felt sorry for the families!!! I vowed never again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
skittles 05:40 PM 01-31-2010
Hi Everyone,
In our state we have to have a certificate to show we have completed a series of trainings in order to accept state aid. Then the state has "set" a amount for all family daycares regardless of what that provider charges. If you don't have the certificate you can not accept a client who has state help. I use to provide care for clients who were on the state before this law was in full swing. Yes it is difficult, not only are you not getting paid, most of the time the state is investingating these families and the kids have a variety of behavior or hygine probs. I think the blame is not in the families but in the system. The state should pay what the provider is charging all families. Most state daycare regulations require providers to charge all families the same rate (in our state it is true). So in a way the state is breaking their own law. (Guess they can). How would the state workers like to see a chunk taken out of their paychecks even know they are providing the same service? Just a thought.
CF
AnythingsPossible 12:42 PM 02-01-2010
I am surprised at the issues some of you have with state assisted payments! I have never heard of not being able to charge the parents for the remaining amount that the state doesn't pay. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to charge the families the remaining part due. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I don't believe that you can't, I am just amazed that they do it that way. I guess we are fairly lucky here. Yes, we do have to wait to get paid for the previous month, but atleast we know we are getting paid. I know some daycare providers in our area who all their clients are on state assistance. Unfortunate that they make it so unappealing for providers as there are families who do need the help.
momma2girls 02:08 PM 02-01-2010
Originally Posted by WyoDaycareMom:
I am surprised at the issues some of you have with state assisted payments! I have never heard of not being able to charge the parents for the remaining amount that the state doesn't pay. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to charge the families the remaining part due. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I don't believe that you can't, I am just amazed that they do it that way. I guess we are fairly lucky here. Yes, we do have to wait to get paid for the previous month, but atleast we know we are getting paid. I know some daycare providers in our area who all their clients are on state assistance. Unfortunate that they make it so unappealing for providers as there are families who do need the help.
Iowa's law will not allow it at all!!!
melissa ann 02:46 PM 02-01-2010
I'm in PA and I was told that I can and should charge the parents the difference of what the state pays and what I charge. It was even written in one of the papers that I received from the agency.
As far as training, I need to have I believe 12 hours of training per year. This could be in a classroom type setting or reading material. I haven't done it yet.

Back to my original post, my question was, is this care check processing fee taken out every month? That's 20 bucks.
momma2girls 02:57 PM 02-01-2010
I had one family all contracted with me to pay me the difference $10.00 per day, and she told state that she couldn't afford that at all- then state told her to tell me it was illegal to do that!! I didn't realize this at all!!! Then I was already contracted with her, so I was stuck!! WOW!!! What a nightmare, the kids ended up to be nothing but good, they stole pop, money, etc. from us!!! I couldn't believe it!!! These were 8 and 11 yr. old brother and sister!!!
Unregistered 04:06 PM 02-01-2010
I would call them. maybe you can have them deposit it in the bank for less of a fee if that is what it is for.
momofboys 06:34 PM 02-02-2010
Originally Posted by Iowa daycare:
OMG!!! That is unbelievable!! If they paid the same amt. that we charged, it would be a little bit different!! I can't have a state paid take up a spot for only $14.00 per day for 10 hrs. daily. THat is only $1.40 an hr!!! I just can't do it!!!
that's ludicrous! How can they expect a provider to make more than a dime with such measly pay?!?!
Tags:assistant, caseworker, ccis, state assisted payments
Reply Up