Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Secondhand Smoke
TXhomedaycare 12:58 PM 12-09-2015
I just want to get some feedback to see if this is common or if any one else has noticed this issue. As stated in some of my other posts that I have a dcb who is 2 yo that is always sick. He has had a runny nose for the full 3 months (almost 4) that I have started watching him. Today I noticed his runny nose was going from clear to green and he has green mucus coming from his eyes again. Last time that happened I had his mom come get him early and she eventually ended up taking him to the emergency room because he had a double ear infection. I just thought about it today that both of my 2 yo boys have fathers that smoke and I am wondering if that is why they are sick all the time (I mean all the time ). They both constantly have a cough or runny nose or something but usually no fever. I looked into secondhand smoke effect on children but I wanted to see if anyone has noticed this issue in their group. We don't have any smokers in our family and my children rarely get sick and both the dad always smell like smoke when they pick up their sons so I am wondering if that is the issue. I have been concerned it is me or that I am not keeping my home clean enough (I clean like nobody's business every weekend).
Thriftylady 01:39 PM 12-09-2015
It could be allergies. DD and I both have severe allergies and hers are year round. She takes meds for it that help some but still has some issues. Smoke can make this worse. I wouldn't think it is anything you are doing. My DD was sick pretty much from the time she was born until she was 8 or 9. She had a snotty nose and cough all the darn time. Her ped told us it was a "snot nosed cold" even though I argued noone has a constant cold. When she finally was diagnosed and given treatment, it changed her life. We also have ear infections with our allergies, it seems to work that way. Perhaps you can ask the parents to take them to see the doctor for allergies?
Ariana 02:38 PM 12-09-2015
I agree that it is likely allergies and they might be exacerbated by the smoke in the lungs. I can't imagine second hand smoke being good for anyone for anything!
Tags:allergies, second hand smoke, sickness, smokers
Reply Up