Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Overtime & Charge
DanceMom 10:12 AM 12-08-2010
How much do you charge if your parent is needing anywhere between 1-15 minutes care passed your closing hour?

I have a mom needing to pick up late today, I honestly yet have had a parent needing OT until today. I dont mind doing it as husband is out of town and Im not going anywhere - she said she would pay me but need to figure out a fair amount.
Live and Learn 10:19 AM 12-08-2010
1-15 minutes? If they asked ahead of time and I didn't have plans and it is a one time thing it would be no charge......I rarely have had parents ask for this and they are never late. They respect me so I like to go with the flow when I can. If they asked and I had plans I would say "no."
DCMom 10:40 AM 12-08-2010
That little bit of time I wouldn't charge either. It would be the reward for the the good behavior of ASKING me instead of just doing it and pissing me off
jen 10:45 AM 12-08-2010
That would be a freebie for me too...
AfterSchoolMom 11:31 AM 12-08-2010
I have one who picks up 10-15 minutes late every week on the same day. She asked me about it ahead of time (asked, not told, which I appreciated), so I just give it to her for free. She's never gone past that amount of time. If she began to abuse it, then I'd have to reconsider, but so far, so good.

If it's a good family that pays on time, I'd just do it for free.
nikia 01:50 PM 12-08-2010
I would be so thrilled they asked ahead of time I wouldn't charge them.
MARSTELAC 06:29 AM 01-03-2011
Needing backbone assistance today. New contract indicates overtime fee per 15 minutes or any part thereof if child is in care over 10 hours within my normal business hours and double overtime if child is in my care before or after my normal business hours. I sent home new contracts and had all parents sign. Today I know I will be tested. One family, I am certain is going to be leaving here around 5:20 or so and kids were dropped by one parent at 7 today. So, today is the date overtime would kick in. This parent has 3 other people that can pick the kid up (including other parent that gets done early every day). My contract also says that overtime fees will be paid the same day they are incurred. How do you ask for the money? This makes me very uncomfortable but I want to enforce my policy :-(
legomom922 06:50 AM 01-03-2011
I understand the "I will do it this time for free" thinking, but I feel I would then be setting myself up for a problem in the future. I think it is best that if you have a policy, that you stick to it, or then it is always open to be tested. Just from experience, I had a client who was late once..nice people...I let it slide because I thought I was being nice...Then it happened again, and then I felt werid asking for the late fee because I let it slide before...then it happened again...the longer you let something slide, the harder it is to enforce it later. Same thing happened to me with them not paying me on time, one time. I feel its easier to stick to charging them even the first time it happens. IMO. In this case, I would charge $5. If it turn out shes 30 minutes late, then make it $10.
misol 06:55 AM 01-03-2011
Originally Posted by MARSTELAC:
Needing backbone assistance today. New contract indicates overtime fee per 15 minutes or any part thereof if child is in care over 10 hours within my normal business hours and double overtime if child is in my care before or after my normal business hours. I sent home new contracts and had all parents sign. Today I know I will be tested. One family, I am certain is going to be leaving here around 5:20 or so and kids were dropped by one parent at 7 today. So, today is the date overtime would kick in. This parent has 3 other people that can pick the kid up (including other parent that gets done early every day). My contract also says that overtime fees will be paid the same day they are incurred. How do you ask for the money? This makes me very uncomfortable but I want to enforce my policy :-(
How many days did you give them before the new contract was to take effect? It's likely they didn't even read it. Could you possibly call or text the parents a friendly reminder that the new contract takes effect startng today and late/overtime fees will apply and are due at pickup.
MARSTELAC 07:33 AM 01-03-2011
a month....and some aspects of the new contract they've known since Sept. I will text as a reminder. I HATE to do it but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot. Thank you!
Tags:charges, overtime, overtime charges
Reply Up