Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Think I Will Have To Call In Sick
sahm2three 02:38 PM 12-05-2010
I am terribly sick. I ended up getting a combo of all the daycare kids colds and I am down for the count. Crappy thing is, THEY got me sick, *I* have to close, and *I* won't get paid!!! Keep your child home when they are sick!!! So I am thinking I am going to change my contract first of the year. Do you guys get paid for sick days? I just am so miffed that the kids are who got me sick, and I have to close and am getting the screw job!
jen 02:43 PM 12-05-2010
I'm sorry your sick! Hopefully you will feet better soon.

How long have you been doing daycare? It seems to me, that after year one, I almost never go what they got or, if I did, it was a milder version.

Now, after 9 years, I am pretty sure I could lick them and I wouldn't catch it! :-) One thing about daycare is, eventually, you end up with a very healthy immune system!
Abigail 02:44 PM 12-05-2010
This is part of what is listed under Provider Absences in my contract.
I may take up to 10 personal days per calendar year. When I close my business to take a personal day, you will pay half the regular rate for that day. If I take more than 10 personal days in a calendar year, you won’t have to pay any fee for the remaining days.

I may use my personal days for any personal or family needs, including (but not limited to) personal or family sick leave, funeral leave, or professional development.

I also have something about vacation days that are paid, but I think I will have to change it because right now it says I'm paid for 2 weeks of vacation. I should probably change it to one week paid and one week unpaid.............what do you have for vacation?
kidkair 02:45 PM 12-05-2010
I hope you feel better soon! When you change your policy maybe you should include a stricter sickness policy and disallow constant runny noses. I do get paid for sick days and my families are really nice about it.
kidkair 02:47 PM 12-05-2010
Originally Posted by Abigail:
I also have something about vacation days that are paid, but I think I will have to change it because right now it says I'm paid for 2 weeks of vacation. I should probably change it to one week paid and one week unpaid.............what do you have for vacation?
I have that I get paid for 2 weeks and will take up to 4 weeks the last two unpaid. I get 5 fully paid personal days and paid every holiday as well.
mncare 08:12 PM 12-05-2010
I have three sick days per year, paid! Their kids are the ones making me sick most likely, so I will get paid for the day.
DancingQueen 03:08 AM 12-06-2010
I have 5 sick days per year. I've only used 2 all year though. I don't take advantage of it.
sahm2three 10:07 AM 12-06-2010
Originally Posted by jen:
I'm sorry your sick! Hopefully you will feet better soon.

How long have you been doing daycare? It seems to me, that after year one, I almost never go what they got or, if I did, it was a milder version.

Now, after 9 years, I am pretty sure I could lick them and I wouldn't catch it! :-) One thing about daycare is, eventually, you end up with a very healthy immune system!
I have been doing daycare for about 8 months now, officially. I had an un-licensed daycare years ago before I had my own children, but that was years ago. I have had so many kiddos sick. I think part of the issue is lack of vit D too. It has been so cold here that we haven't been able to spend much time outside. So I ordered some vit D spray, hopefully that helps. But I know that it is just being exposed to so many germs from the daycare kids, and like you said, after we build up our immune systems, we won't be so bothered. But today, I called in sick, and all three of my kids are home sick as well. It all stems from the daycare. It started with myself and my 4 year old, and then trickled on to my older two kids who are here for the end of the daycare day. My husband, who is rarely around any of the kids so far isn't sick. I feel pretty icky, but am going to do my best to go around and sanitize everything I can. Ugh. Any other advice? I am going to give myself at least 5 days starting Jan 1.
Tags:sick, sick provider
Reply Up