Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Read This And I Think We Can All Relate To This Advice
momatheart 11:27 AM 01-27-2011
I went onto this site that was posted in another thread here. Posted by UnitedWatchers.

Providers
Know your limits. Do not accept children that have behavioral problems. You will find yourself continuously disciplining, leaving little time for other activities not to mention the risk to other children in your care.

Remember your childcare is a business. Be kind and courteous to parents, but do not befriend them. Some parents will begin to ask or expect favors like fee waivers for late picks and late payments. This is not acceptable and youdo not want to be taken advantage of.

Do not lower your fees in order to attract parents as this may dictate the type of parents you attract. Some parents opt for cheaper childcare because of financial issues which means they may have trouble paying you in the long run.

In your contract you should have a media clause which will give you permission to take cute pictures of the children in your care just in case the parents breach their contract. You can post the picture when you file a daycare complaint and make them available to other providers when they request a complaint history.

You should always collect childcare fees on Monday's not Friday's. This way you get paid in advance for the care you provide and if parents do not pay within two days you can remove the child before it becomes costly.

Pay attention when parents begin to complain about their financial woes, redo your budget and plan ahead in some cases this is a sign that they will remove their child with or without notice.

When parents ask questions about the policies and procedures of your childcare give them solid answers and always ask them to refer to their contract agreement. This lets them know that you are running a business and you fully expect that they will abide by the contract as will you.

Know your worth and charge accordingly. Many factors will dictate your rate such as location, extended hours of care and curriculum, but if you have some extra activities that enhance your childcare don't be afraid to charge extra for them.

Parents
When looking for a good childcare provider make a list of questions and take it with you to the interview so that you don't forget any important questions you wanted to ask.

Make an appointment with a provider and show up an hour or more before time. Most providers organize according to scheduled appointments so if the place is a dirty or disorganized you will discover that before you enroll your child.

Become familiar with your state regulation before you visit a childcare you may notice some violations on your own. For example know the difference between Licensed Registered and Listed be informed about the regulation that govern your state.

Does your childcare have high staff turnover? If so, play detective and find out why. It could be any number of reasons like poor management, low wages or lack of advancement opportunities. You want your child to be in a stable learning environment with providers they trust and are accustom to.

Be courteous and respectful toward your provider and on occasion tip them or give small holiday gifts. This is the person caring for your most valuable possession. Make them feel appreciated.

Once you have chosen a childcare, whenever possible show up unannounced and stay for a while. Are there scheduled activities and does your provider follow the schedule. This could be a sign that your child has no structured activities.

Be involved. Ask about the daily curriculum. You should know what the provider is covering each day. When you get home, go over it with your child to see what if anything they learned that day. Do not enroll your child in a childcare care with no curriculum. Kids need to learn and play.

Please pay your provider on time. Providers have bills like everyone else and your lack of payment may cause a hardship for a provider which can translate into frustration towards your child. No one likes being stressed about late payments. Providers are regular people with families.

Be on time. There is nothing worse than packing up to leave the office and the boss informs you that today there is unscheduled mandatory overtime. Most people get really angry. Providers put in a hard day’s work. They are tired and ready to close only to glance out the window and see you laughing and talking on your cell phone in their drive way. Your provider will become angry and frustrated.

Ask providers for references before you enroll your child and ask the references about any accidents that may have occurred with their child or other children. How many accidents, what type and how were they handled. Check your state regulations and procedures on reporting accidents. In some states you can check accident reports and all violations online. Children are often abused in childcare numerous accidents may be a clue.

Do an external body search of each child every morning. Keep track of and log all bruises. Follow your state laws in reporting abuse or neglect. You can be accused of child abuse at anytime so protect yourself.

Posted by UnitedWatchers at 1:20 PM 0 comments
Blackcat31 11:42 AM 01-27-2011
Now if I could only get my daycare parents to actually read their portion of this all things will be happy down in Who-ville.
marniewon 11:47 AM 01-27-2011
I agree with all but 2 of these:

Make an appointment with a provider and show up an hour or more before time. Most providers organize according to scheduled appointments so if the place is a dirty or disorganized you will discover that before you enroll your child.

If a parent did this to me I would not accept them into my daycare. In fact, I wouldn't even do the interview. I have nothing to hide, but first, they are not keeping their agreed upon time, telling me that they probably won't be able to show up to drop their kids off on time, and second, there is a reason I decide on a particular time (not at nap time, not before dh gets home if I'm nervous about a family, not at pick up time, my family dinner time, ETC). Showing up an hour ahead of your scheduled time is rude.

Once you have chosen a childcare, whenever possible show up unannounced and stay for a while. Are there scheduled activities and does your provider follow the schedule. This could be a sign that your child has no structured activities.

I have in my contract that if you want to visit daycare, by all means, come on in.....but be prepared to take your child when you leave. Also, we all know how children misbehave when there are other people here. This would not fly with me either.
momatheart 01:13 PM 01-27-2011
Originally Posted by marniewon:

If a parent did this to me I would not accept them into my daycare. In fact, I wouldn't even do the interview. I have nothing to hide, but first, they are not keeping their agreed upon time, telling me that they probably won't be able to show up to drop their kids off on time, and second, there is a reason I decide on a particular time (not at nap time, not before dh gets home if I'm nervous about a family, not at pick up time, my family dinner time, ETC). Showing up an hour ahead of your scheduled time is rude.

I have in my contract that if you want to visit daycare, by all means, come on in.....but be prepared to take your child when you leave. Also, we all know how children misbehave when there are other people here. This would not fly with me either.
I know I didn't agree with that hour before the time schedualed.

I don't have a problem with people showing up early but they better be picking up their child, lol.
MG&Lsmom 02:53 PM 01-27-2011

That first one is downright rude! I would not even invite them in. I wouldn't open the door for a salesperson, survey taker or random stranger for safety reasons and they fall under random stranger coming an hour early.
MyAngels 02:58 PM 01-27-2011

Couldn't have said it better myself. An hour early? Are you kidding me?
mickey2 03:09 PM 01-27-2011

These are both unacceptable to me!

Also this part under parents should be listed under provider. (I do this everyday!!) Do an external body search of each child every morning. Keep track of and log all bruises. Follow your state laws in reporting abuse or neglect. You can be accused of child abuse at anytime so protect yourself.

I also ask my new prospective parents for references as well!!!!!!
I am picky and choosy and only accept parents and children that I am happy with!
momatheart 03:23 PM 01-27-2011
Originally Posted by Children First:
These are both unacceptable to me!

Also this part under parents should be listed under provider. (I do this everyday!!) Do an external body search of each child every morning. Keep track of and log all bruises. Follow your state laws in reporting abuse or neglect. You can be accused of child abuse at anytime so protect yourself.

I also ask my new prospective parents for references as well!!!!!!
I am picky and choosy and only accept parents and children that I am happy with!
When I first read that one about bruises I thought it should have been under the provider also. We do notice these things.
MarinaVanessa 03:24 PM 01-27-2011
Originally Posted by momatheart:
Be involved. Ask about the daily curriculum. You should know what the provider is covering each day. When you get home, go over it with your child to see what if anything they learned that day. Do not enroll your child in a childcare care with no curriculum. Kids need to learn and play.
Although I agree with being involved and asking about what they did and learned I disagree with the part about a childcare with no curriculum. For me as I'd rather care for young kids I do somewhat of a pre-school and kinder readiness curriculum but I don't have a set schedule. If we do it, we do it. If we don't get to it, we don't. No biggy. As Mr. Rogers said, a child learns more in their first three years of life than in their entire time in college.

Here we play and it's all about sharing, motor schools, getting along, singing and dancing etc. I have a developmental program, not an educational one.
momatheart 03:39 PM 01-27-2011
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Although I agree with being involved and asking about what they did and learned I disagree with the part about a childcare with no curriculum. For me as I'd rather care for young kids I do somewhat of a pre-school and kinder readiness curriculum but I don't have a set schedule. If we do it, we do it. If we don't get to it, we don't. No biggy. As Mr. Rogers said, a child learns more in their first three years of life than in their entire time in college.

Here we play and it's all about sharing, motor schools, getting along, singing and dancing etc. I have a developmental program, not an educational one.
I would apply that one more towards a center and preschool age children.
Tags:advice, advice for parents
Reply Up