Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Curious
lucky 10:40 AM 04-05-2011
How many of you offer school age summer care?
Blackcat31 10:42 AM 04-05-2011
ONLY for children who are past daycare kids AND still have siblings in care.
MN Day Mom 10:43 AM 04-05-2011
Same as Blackcat.... only for current or past families But I don't require a sibling currently in care.
lil angels 10:44 AM 04-05-2011
me to only take kids that have grown up here. I have taken in a few that were new before biggest mistake ever.
cheerfuldom 10:47 AM 04-05-2011
never offered it, never plan to. I find temporary or part time care to be about the most awful thing to do to myself and our routine here. By the time kids get used to things, they are off to school again. The exception I would make is if I knew this family very, very well and knew that the child could adjust happily and quickly to our set up. I haven't ever made that exception though.
ninosqueridos 11:04 AM 04-05-2011
Nope, no school agers at all.
daycare 11:04 AM 04-05-2011
never have and never will..... as someone else posted last week...least favorite age....yup SA... they don't mix well with my toddlers.....
AnythingsPossible 11:06 AM 04-05-2011
This is the last summer I will be providing SA summer care, I have always only taken SA who have grown up with me. Currently have an 8 year old who can't wait for summer so he can come back, but after this year, I won't do it again. My home and program are geared towards the 5 and under set, and there just isn't enough to keep them engaged which leads to boredom, which leads to behavior problems.
Meeko 11:36 AM 04-05-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
ONLY for children who are past daycare kids AND still have siblings in care.
Ditto
MsMe 11:41 AM 04-05-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
Ditto
Same here. This year I have a kinder that would be coming back for the summer. I fear he will be board and too much to entertian on top of the younger ones and have talked to his mother about enrolling him in the school summer program....they are much more active and have TONS more to offer him. I have another girl the same age that will be coming back but she is a little mother hen and will love playing wiht all the little one all summer long. It really depends on the kids.
kidkair 11:46 AM 04-05-2011
I take SAs. I have only been open for two years so I haven't had the opportunity for my kids to go to school and come back. The SAs I do have are very good with the little kids and enjoy their time alone during nap. I'm actually very glad I have an SA coming for spring break shortly and am looking forward to summer!
nannyde 12:04 PM 04-05-2011
Nope
they don't nap
MarinaVanessa 12:09 PM 04-05-2011
The only school agers that I will have are my daughter and my nephew (paying). Other than that I don't like to have school agers. All they ever want to do here is watch tv all day or play with our game consoles, which I do not allow. When we do watch tv it's either a Disney or pixar movie (on Fridays) or sprout channel in the mornings and they don't like the programs because they are for younger children. Everything they play with turns into a gun, sword or bomb and they are not nice to my toys. It takes me almost 3 weeks to get them to follow my rules and then they Are gone in just another 3-6 weeks anyway lol. I think that if I did take school agers again it would be on a case by case basis and even then just 1.
Michael 12:12 PM 04-05-2011
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
The only school agers that I will have are my daughter and my nephew (paying). Other than that I don't like to have school agers. All they ever want to do here is watch tv all day or play with our game consoles, which I do not allow. When we do watch tv it's either a Disney or pixar movie (on Fridays) or sprout channel in the mornings and they don't like the programs because they are for younger children. Everything they play with turns into a gun, sword or bomb and they are not nice to my toys. It takes me almost 3 weeks to get them to follow my rules and then they Are gone in just another 3-6 weeks anyway lol. I think that if I did take school agers again it would be on a case by case basis and even then just 1.
Welcome back MarinaVanessa!
Blackcat31 12:15 PM 04-05-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Nope
they don't nap
If SA'ers are here, they nap. If they complain, it is their ticket outta here. LOL!! There are so many programs in our area for school agers but for some reason it seems as though parents do what is easiest and one drop off spot is what is easiest. But I still make them nap/rest and if they really fuss about it I just tell them to tell their mom. LOL!!
PitterPatter 02:42 PM 04-05-2011
I accept school age in summer. I haven't had a problem though. The 3 I had were very well behaved and mannerly so I guess I was lucky? lol

I enjoyed having them as they helped out a lot. Like craft time when I work with 1 toddler they helped another with their glue etc. In the yard on the swing set a girl would help push the toddlers we would stand there and discuss what to have for our snack. I enjoyed my school kids (knocking wood i guess lol)
MarinaVanessa 03:01 PM 04-05-2011
Originally Posted by Michael:
Welcome back MarinaVanessa!
Thanks Michael. It's good to be back.
daysofelijah 03:15 PM 04-05-2011
I always have in the past, but I have decided not to this summer. I usually take one or two of my past daycare kids, but the ones who need care are getting too old and too much of a bad influence on the younger kids. Plus they are too hard to entertain. So this year I will not.
squareone 04:44 PM 04-05-2011
I offer it but have never had anyone enrolled for it.
momatheart 04:47 PM 04-05-2011
I think one has to have a special calling on their life to do SA . You would think either SA or 5 and under mixing the two would be tough.
Unregistered 10:03 AM 04-06-2011
I have 5 school agers that come back every year during the summer. They can be very helpful with the little ones. (It is adorable to see an 8 or 10 yr old helping a 2 or 3 year old down a slide, or play with a toy. During nap time, they do a summer program called "summer bridge", they do workbook activities, take turns with a computer program that goes along with it, or do puzzles or quiet activities. Some days are harder than others, but overall it really does work well.
lucky 10:58 AM 04-06-2011
Thankyou so much for all your input. I don't really want to take them. I wondered if it was just me or there were more providers out there who felt the same way. I think I have made my decision. I'm definitely more of a birth to five provider.
TBird 11:02 AM 04-06-2011
I'll take two SA's in the summer....I know I'm an oddball but they're kind of fun in the summertime! They say funny things and they love to be outside and go swimming.
Tags:school-age, schoolage - summer care, summer care
Reply Up