Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Whining "Mummy Daddy Mummy Daddy"
Happy Hearts 04:14 PM 11-05-2012
Whining a neverending "mummy daddy mummy daddy." It just grating on my nerves and making me feel like a total failure. What's up with the whining lately of my dcg (3 years old this month).

Today when Dad picked her up she burst into tears and started sobbing.

I don't know what to do with her when she's whining like this. But, I find myself grinding my teeth, causing a headache. And, I'm cranky when she's finally gone. There's no making her happy; not snack, going outside, snuggles, reading books, NOTHING!!!

Please give some advice or just let me know that I am not alone in this. Frustrated and feeling low.
laundrymom 05:26 PM 11-05-2012
"stop, where is mommy? Where is daddy? Not here? Ok as SOON as they get here you can whine for them. But not if they can't hear. Okay? I'll let you know when they get here'
Lilbutterflie 05:47 PM 11-05-2012
Today mine were out of sorts and tired/whining due to the time change yesterday.

Is this behavior you see everyday? Or maybe just when she is tired?

I have one that asks for Mommy and Daddy a lot. I always respond with "Mommy's at work." He knows, though, not to do it with a whining voice. If he does whine, he gets my deep "aah, aah" voice and a stern look. Sometimes if the whining escalates, I take him to our reading corner with pillows and such and a good book. He usually calms down and joins us soon after.

Some whining is just a result of not knowing the words to express their needs and/or frustrations. So often when I hear whining, I figure out what they want/need and I tell them "Use your words. Say 'Help please'!" Or give them the words they need to express their frustrations. It has worked REALLY really well; both for speech development and for whining. I have mostly 1s and 2s age group, and I rarely hear whining unless they are tired.
Happy Hearts 11:30 AM 11-06-2012
She's not usually a whiner at all, but today she tried to start again. I'm thinking that whining can become a habit if it not addressed immediately I nipped it in the bud with your advice and it has worked!
Tags:separation anxiety, whining
Reply Up