Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daycare Death
BumbleBee 08:18 PM 07-20-2012
http://m.nbcdfw.com/nbcdfw/pm_108184...tguid=62jMvtzq

I don't get it. Even if it was a 15 passenger van (no idea if it was or not) how long does it take to check a vehicle? Count how many kids you have-even if it's after you get in the building.

Sorry, I just get so angry when things like this happen. It gives daycares a bad name overall AND there is NO excuse for this IMHO.
Hunni Bee 08:19 PM 07-20-2012

Is there a link to the story?

Edit: never mind
BumbleBee 08:21 PM 07-20-2012
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:

Is there a link to the story?
Sorry, I forgot the link the first time. It should be there now.
Nickel 08:46 PM 07-20-2012
omg, how could they let that happen? I mean, how do you not realize one of your dck is missing. I worked at a cdc and we had to count them periodically throughout the day even if we never left the room. and then we had to count them before we left the room, when we got where we were going, before we left where we were and after we got back. Either this staff was grossly under staffed or grossly uneducated. There is no excuse. The grandmother is a better woman than I. I would want more than just answers.

On another note, there have been ads running here nonstop all summer about preventing car deaths. I'm only four hours from Dallas and temps have been averaging 105-108 since May. So there is a huge media campaign along the lines of CHECK THE BACKSEATS. I am always so paranoid that I ALWAYS put my back in the back now so I physically have to turn around and look to get it. And when my husband takes the girls somewhere, I'm calling him or texting him to make sure he doesn't forget them in the car.

Someone should have physically done a walk through and checked every single Freaking seat before they closed the door. And shame on his teacher for not realizing one of her students was missing. It makes me glad I chose not to enroll my daughter into a daycare and to become a home provider. All I can say is wow. I'll be praying for the family.
Kaddidle Care 08:50 PM 07-20-2012
Sigh.. another one. It's inexcusable in my book. Head count, head count, head count - especially on trips. Poor baby.
sharlan 09:18 PM 07-20-2012
There is ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE for this to happen.

I have a 12 passenger van and we do a headcount at the front door before heading to the car. We do another headcount once every is in the van. The front passenger does a headcount, then the driver (usually me) does another headcount before the car is started.

Once we get where we are going, all the kids are unloaded and recounted by the front passenger, then me. I also do a visual of the inside of the car before any door is shut.

The proceedure is repeated when leaving our outing. Headcount outside of the van and two inside. When we get home, either the front passenger unloads the kids while I watch or they watch while I unload and get the babies into the house. A headcount is done in the house and I personally go back to the van and do a visual.

All van doors are left open until I go back out and do a visual.

All of this counting and all of the visual checks may seem excessive to some people, but I will never have a child die in my car.
Tags:death, neglect
Reply Up