Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How To Tell Parents?
kidsandchicks 12:18 PM 02-08-2017
I'm going to be changing my days of availability so that I am only open M-Th. I have one full time family and four part time families and generally 3-4 of the kids are here on Fridays. I am thrilled with the idea of closing on Fridays and am prepared to accept the consequences (families leaving). However.....

How do I tell them of the changes? I was planning to put it in a letter but I see it going like this:

*pick up time, dcp arrives.

*I hand dcp a letter with a brief explanation of what is inside

*dcp questions the letter, wants to discuss things further, child goes in to melt down mode because dcp is not paying attention to them, I get stressed, dcp bullies me and makes me feel bad, I reverse policy and stay open on Fridays.

How do you notify parents of significant changes?
Blackcat31 12:37 PM 02-08-2017
Originally Posted by kidsandchicks:
I'm going to be changing my days of availability so that I am only open M-Th. I have one full time family and four part time families and generally 3-4 of the kids are here on Fridays. I am thrilled with the idea of closing on Fridays and am prepared to accept the consequences (families leaving). However.....

How do I tell them of the changes? I was planning to put it in a letter but I see it going like this:

*pick up time, dcp arrives.

*I hand dcp a letter with a brief explanation of what is inside

*dcp questions the letter, wants to discuss things further, child goes in to melt down mode because dcp is not paying attention to them, I get stressed, dcp bullies me and makes me feel bad, I reverse policy and stay open on Fridays.

How do you notify parents of significant changes?
Follow up the bolded part above with something like: "If you have any questions or concerns about the information in this letter, please e-mail as I do not have time to explain while kids/others are present. Thank you! Have a good night! Bye!"
284878 05:43 AM 02-09-2017
When I send home letters, I never explain, (except when I termed on the spot because I was also giving back belongs), I just have letters ready in there boxes.
If they can see that others have letters ready in too, they won't think anything is wrong.
daycarediva 09:49 AM 02-09-2017
Just hand it to them AS they are walking out the door. "Making some changes, thanks. See you tomorrow!"

Make sure you put a start date on the letter, and address most questions they will have (rate reduction? advantages? holidays on fridays or weekends you won't take Monday off, etc.)
Ariana 09:53 AM 02-09-2017
Email on Friday evening. Gives them a weekend to read it, let it sink in and calm down. Tell them in the email that the best way to address questions and concerns are in an email to not take away valuable time with the daycare kids and to avoid lengthy conversations during pickup and drop off.
Mom2Two 12:56 PM 02-09-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Email on Friday evening. Gives them a weekend to read it, let it sink in and calm down. Tell them in the email that the best way to address questions and concerns are in an email to not take away valuable time with the daycare kids and to avoid lengthy conversations during pickup and drop off.
Sounds pretty good to me.
DaveA 01:00 PM 02-09-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Just hand it to them AS they are walking out the door. "Making some changes, thanks. See you tomorrow!"

Make sure you put a start date on the letter, and address most questions they will have (rate reduction? advantages? holidays on fridays or weekends you won't take Monday off, etc.)
I'd go this route.

This would also work if you know your DCPs check their email. Be prepared for at least one "WHAT???????" the first time you mention it to someone.
Ariana 04:17 PM 02-09-2017
Originally Posted by DaveA:
I'd go this route.

This would also work if you know your DCPs check their email. Be prepared for at least one "WHAT???????" the first time you mention it to someone.
True! You could simply say "I emailed you something so make sure to check it when you get home". I have said that before. I terminated a child over email once (I always do it over email!) and mom did not respond for a few days. I guess she was devastated and had to collect her thoughts. It was pretty stressful waiting for her to respond!! I hadn't decided at pickup whether I was going to term or not so couldn't tell her to check her email.
childcaremom 05:32 AM 02-10-2017
I do this sometimes, too. I appreciate the buffer zone it gives all parties, plus it helps create a paper trail if I think I'll need one.

I have also printed off a letter, put it in child's bag, and then briefly mentioned at pick up that x y and z is happening and that there is more info in the letter in their bag. Have a great night!! Big smile and close the door.

Maybe a "My availability will be changing as of X date and I've stuck a letter in your bag with some more information. See you tomorrow!"
Reply Up