Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Frustrated With Low Wages
Unregistered 01:18 PM 02-21-2017
I am frustrated with the low wages working at a preschool/daycare. I wasn't planning on getting rich this way but I thought I would be able to support myself and my son and even with assistance I can't. We live with my parents. I love my job I just wish I got paid more for it. So frustrating.
Unregistered 01:23 PM 02-21-2017
I know what I really want though, to find someone, get married, and have more children. Like maybe 2 more. So maybe I should focus on that I guess.
Ariana 01:27 PM 02-21-2017
This job is definitely ridiculous for pay. This is why I would rather work at home. Right now I am working part time but have 6 kids and make the same as I would make working full time in a childcare centre...without all the paper work!
Jupadia 02:54 PM 02-21-2017
The low pay at a lot of centers is why I got out of childcare for almost a decade. While the hours were better and I had weekends off I just was not making enough to go take childcare classes and pay my bills. I ended up on fast food management for the next bit then retail management which payed better though not great. (Though handling some staff was like handling DKs sometimes).
Only when I had my first and the space in my home did I get back into childcare.
daycarediva 06:39 AM 02-22-2017
It is NOT a lucrative field if you're a center employee. Can you continue your education and become a lead teacher or preschool teacher? Can you change fields until you could work from home/in home child care? I make about 3x what I would in a center working from home, AND have complete control over my program.
MsLisa 06:53 AM 02-22-2017
When I tried working for "centers" I was payed minimal wage cause I didn't have a degree in ECE, regardless of experience. You could do everything for them and you're still just a pulse to them. I also got reprimanded for stupid things and often found the centers to be just fake children zoos hidden by paperwork. (Speaking for my area, not in general)

NOW, as a Nanny, I charge the rates I see fit & earn more then I would make in a week at a center without the stress. I'm just one of those people who work better on their own.
Blackcat31 06:56 AM 02-22-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
It is NOT a lucrative field if you're a center employee. Can you continue your education and become a lead teacher or preschool teacher? Can you change fields until you could work from home/in home child care? I make about 3x what I would in a center working from home, AND have complete control over my program.

Low pay in this field is the root of most issues.
mommyneedsadayoff 10:06 AM 02-22-2017
I just saw a story on this. The parents of a prestigious preschool were upset that the staff only got minimum wage. Our centers pay right at or just above, so it is mostly college/high school workers. Turnover is high, but the daycares still seem to stay full.
Unregistered 01:01 PM 02-22-2017
Our centers pay $8.00 to $13.00 starting depending on if you are an assistant or a lead teacher.

This is why there is such a turnover even in my area. That and the fact that it's very hard work, requires documentation, assessment, continuing ed, etc.

I've always found I made more doing in-home child care and LOTS less stressful. More hours but way better for me!

In regard to really wanting to get married and have more kids.....well typically if you focus on that too much you might settle. Don't just get sucked into any relationship so you can get married. Work on what makes you happy and do this for you to take care of yourself.

Good luck!
happymom 01:06 PM 02-22-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I am frustrated with the low wages working at a preschool/daycare. I wasn't planning on getting rich this way but I thought I would be able to support myself and my son and even with assistance I can't. We live with my parents. I love my job I just wish I got paid more for it. So frustrating.
Thank you for doing what you do. I am a parent of kids at a center and I know most of the staff are in it because they love it and are dedicated as can be.

I wish I could give all of you good wages. This industry seems like a really tough one to be in
Unregistered 02:30 PM 02-22-2017
OP here. I have an associates degree in cd and am a lead teacher. I work at a small center though, I make one dollar over minimum wage. Looking at job advertisements I might make 1.50 more elsewhere in my area if I'm lucky. Unless I got a job at a state funded preschool but that's unlikely since I don't speak Spanish. I also only have 18months full time experience.

I'd be fine if I was the second income in a family to make ends meet but as the main breadwinner for myself and my son this isn't cutting it.
Blackcat31 02:31 PM 02-22-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
OP here. I have an associates degree in cd and am a lead teacher. I work at a small center though, I make one dollar over minimum wage. Looking at job advertisements I might make 1.50 more elsewhere in my area if I'm lucky. Unless I got a job at a state funded preschool but that's unlikely since I don't speak Spanish. I also only have 18months full time experience.

I'd be fine if I was the second income in a family to make ends meet but as the main breadwinner for myself and my son this isn't cutting it.
Have you considered opening your own child care business?
Tags:cause and effect, education
Reply Up