Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Tax/Receipt Question
TeeSee 09:16 AM 07-28-2010
How do you document purchases from CL or garage sales for tax deduction purposes?
kendallina 09:20 AM 07-28-2010
I've read that it's okay to just write up your own receipt on a piece of paper. Write down exactly what a normal receipt would have, date, location (CL, garage sale), items purchased, price, etc. That's what I'll be doing and that's what we used to do when I was doing center-based care.
Katy
JenNJ 09:43 AM 07-28-2010
I ask the person for a reciept. I bought a reciept book at Target for $1.
DCMom 10:03 AM 07-28-2010
I ask the seller to sign a receipt, then I take a photo of the purchase and toss it into the file.
emosks 10:10 AM 07-28-2010
My accountant said that if we forget to get a receipt from the seller then to print the ad with the price on it. Usually we print the ad and then have them sign it.

Garage sales we just make a list of things we've bought with purchase price.
GretasLittleFriends 05:19 PM 07-28-2010
For craigslist items we print out the ad, and usually there is a pic attached. If audited, it's easy to show them the ad with the item nearby.

For garage sales, I just write on a piece of paper what I bought and how much each item was. If it is a more expensive item I may ask for a receipt.
Chickenhauler 07:54 PM 07-28-2010
Originally Posted by GretasLittleFriends:
For craigslist items we print out the ad, and usually there is a pic attached. If audited, it's easy to show them the ad with the item nearby.
Add to that, I usually write the address and phone number (if it's not in the ad) along with the directions to the sellers location on the bottom half of the printed ad when I go look at something.

Really hard for the IRS to dispute that one (especially with the pic, price and address of seller).
Tags:deductions, receipts, taxes
Reply Up