Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Awesome Interview Ends With "Well, If I Get The Job"....
DaisyMamma 06:30 AM 06-14-2012
WTH. I hate it when people do this!
I feel like saying "Well, thank you for wasting my time."

...end vent, thank you
DaisyMamma 06:38 AM 06-14-2012
I just got a text from care.com: new job in the area. Same family I meet with last night and part of their ad reads: "We have been unimpressed to this point with many of the in-home day cares as well as the larger facilities."
Great, thanks a lot
I want to post to the ad and say that I'm sorry my daycare will not be able to fulfill your needs. Any advice you can give me as to what I might be able to improve for future families would be greatly appreciated.
lil angels 07:06 AM 06-14-2012
Oh some people. I would want to post too if I was you. Chalk that one up as a big old waste of time. That was a parent you never could have done anything good enough for.
DaisyMamma 07:20 AM 06-14-2012
Originally Posted by lil angels:
Oh some people. I would want to post too if I was you. Chalk that one up as a big old waste of time. That was a parent you never could have done anything good enough for.
I'm well aware. Thank you
Lilbutterflie 07:51 AM 06-14-2012
Originally Posted by DaisyMamma:
I just got a text from care.com: new job in the area. Same family I meet with last night and part of their ad reads: "We have been unimpressed to this point with many of the in-home day cares as well as the larger facilities."
Great, thanks a lot
I want to post to the ad and say that I'm sorry my daycare will not be able to fulfill your needs. Any advice you can give me as to what I might be able to improve for future families would be greatly appreciated.
I think I definitely would post just that! Honestly, if it were me, I would want to know the areas in which the parents would like to see improvement. I always wonder after the interview what the parents are thinking! This is your chance to find out!
littlemissmuffet 08:03 AM 06-14-2012
I am curious why you think the interview went well?

The reason I ask is this - I have watched a few providers go through interviews thinking it went really great and that they were sure that the parents would call back and sign up... when really, being on the outside looking in, I knew that the parents definitely weren't coming back - could be because the provider didn't do a very good job selling their daycare (not confident enough; not knowing their own program well enough - i.e. can't answer questions off the top of their heads about program, meal plans, rates, schedules, daily activities, etc; not gaining respect of the parents/letting parents talk provider in bending rules; etc); not presenting themselves in a professional manner; being overly eager to sign a client up resulting in turning the potential clients off, etc.

Or, it could just be that these parents are of the impossible to please variety. However, there are usually many red flags during interviews with these kinds of parents... did you find this to be the case during this interview??
lil angels 09:08 AM 06-14-2012
I'm well aware. Thank you
Sorry I didn't mean anything by it!
daycare 09:21 AM 06-14-2012
I have only ever had one family that invited to sign up not.

I sent them a questionnaire which asked why they didnt select my daycare, what could the daycare change to make it better and etc.

Really it was a waste of time, because this family just had expectation that were unreal. I am sure that this is why this family also did not sign up.

I think that I would just let it go. WE as providers will not and cannot possibly meet the needs of every family and this is OK.

I feel that I offer a great program, however, I talk to prospective clients all the time that don't like a lot of things that I do. Example Field Trips. These people never make it past the phone interview.

I would never change my program to suit an individual families needs. You do this and now you are giving them the idea that they will have the option of telling you how to run your business.

So again, I would just leave it. It's not like you are going to meet their request anyways..
DaisyMamma 10:18 AM 06-14-2012
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
I am curious why you think the interview went well?

The reason I ask is this - I have watched a few providers go through interviews thinking it went really great and that they were sure that the parents would call back and sign up... when really, being on the outside looking in, I knew that the parents definitely weren't coming back - could be because the provider didn't do a very good job selling their daycare (not confident enough; not knowing their own program well enough - i.e. can't answer questions off the top of their heads about program, meal plans, rates, schedules, daily activities, etc; not gaining respect of the parents/letting parents talk provider in bending rules; etc); not presenting themselves in a professional manner; being overly eager to sign a client up resulting in turning the potential clients off, etc.

Or, it could just be that these parents are of the impossible to please variety. However, there are usually many red flags during interviews with these kinds of parents... did you find this to be the case during this interview??
I answered all of their questions well, I was very confident and I felt it was the best interview I had conducted. At the end they asked for references. It could be any number of silly things, from having 4 dogs to the amount of field trips I do, to the amount of time we spend at a local swimming area. they are first time parents, so I kind of wonder if they are going to be the helicopter type. What ever the case may be, I'm really feeling that I dodged a bullet!!

Originally Posted by lil angels:
Sorry I didn't mean anything by it!
OMG - No, I'm sorry, I wasn't saying it in a rude way. I was totally agreeing with you!!! LOL.
cheerfuldom 10:50 AM 06-14-2012
sorry that they wasted your time. Sometimes first time parents need to interview a lot to see that what they are looking for is not available. They have to learn to compromise and accept that no one will ever be as good as mom and dad. Maybe they will come around and you will still hear from them in the future. Either way, like you said, it could be a variety of things.

I had one interviewing parent complain to a reference person that there werent enough pictures hung up on my wall......people will just notice the craziest thing
MissK 12:04 PM 06-14-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
I have only ever had one family that invited to sign up not.

I sent them a questionnaire which asked why they didnt select my daycare, what could the daycare change to make it better and etc.
I really like this idea! I may have to work something up for the future
e.j. 03:50 PM 06-14-2012
"We have been unimpressed to this point with many of the in-home day cares as well as the larger facilities."
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the situation but.....Have they called you to say they won't be using your day care? Unless they have, don't be too quick thinking you're included in "many of the the in-home day cares...." they're referring to. They didn't use the word "all"; they said "many", right? Is it possible they liked what they saw at your day care and are just waiting to see if they get the job before they call you back?
DaisyMamma 04:10 PM 06-14-2012
The job on care.com was posted after our interview and they told me that I was the only daycare they have been to.
e.j. 05:46 PM 06-14-2012
The job on care.com was posted after our interview and they told me that I was the only daycare they have been to.
Well, in that case......It would probably bother me, too, if I saw the comment they made but I would also try to keep in mind that I can't be all things to all people. You might not fit what this family is looking for but the next family you interview might be a perfect fit for you and you for them.

It's kind of like the old saying, "You have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find your prince." In our case, sometimes you have to interview several families before you find the perfect one to fill your spot. Here's to hoping your next interview has a better ending!
beachgrl 07:26 PM 06-14-2012
I had a family that came twice to visit, interview and both times I was pretty confident id hear back, after the second time..they made their own ad on care.com and turns out they wanted someone to watch both kids for the priceof one so iguess my pricing was outta their range,..really? Iguess they fohnd someone to take the bait but really aggravating that the second visit was out of nowhere, cqlled me from my yard wanting to come in and talk to me again and interrupted awhile in our routine and w the kiddos being all chaotic while i tried to talk with her and keep them corralled and supervised...all bc i thought she was genuinely considering me and was interested enough to come back, ugh..sometimes you just cant please people.

I often wonder why families dont go with me, cost? Our dogs? Our house not being the nicest just bc it needs improvement as its a neglected forclosure but in sound and safe condition? My yard not having enough grass? Not providing meals? Who knows? Seems good enough for the families i have now.
DaisyMamma 05:02 AM 06-15-2012
Originally Posted by beachgrl:
I had a family that came twice to visit, interview and both times I was pretty confident id hear back, after the second time..they made their own ad on care.com and turns out they wanted someone to watch both kids for the priceof one so iguess my pricing was outta their range,..really? Iguess they fohnd someone to take the bait but really aggravating that the second visit was out of nowhere, cqlled me from my yard wanting to come in and talk to me again and interrupted awhile in our routine and w the kiddos being all chaotic while i tried to talk with her and keep them corralled and supervised...all bc i thought she was genuinely considering me and was interested enough to come back, ugh..sometimes you just cant please people.

I often wonder why families dont go with me, cost? Our dogs? Our house not being the nicest just bc it needs improvement as its a neglected forclosure but in sound and safe condition? My yard not having enough grass? Not providing meals? Who knows? Seems good enough for the families i have now.
It sounds like they liked you, but couldnt afford it.
momofboys 07:25 AM 06-15-2012
Great, thanks a lot
DaisyMamma,

This JUST happened to me sort of. I had 2 interviews last week. I REALLY wanted the one family b/c of the hours, etc. I did my typical follow-up e-mail & parents didn't say no but said they had a few other providers to meet with prior to making a decision. Well yesterday (a good week or so after our interview) I see they are advertising on Care.com. They don't say anything about being unimpressed with people they have met but it still hurts a little. I wish I knew what they didn't like. But then again there were a few red flags during the interview so I am not sure I would have really wanted them but I really could use another client. I would definitely post a reply to their ad! I am thinking of doing the same thing for this family.
DaisyMamma 05:47 AM 06-16-2012
Originally Posted by momofboys:
DaisyMamma,

This JUST happened to me sort of. I had 2 interviews last week. I REALLY wanted the one family b/c of the hours, etc. I did my typical follow-up e-mail & parents didn't say no but said they had a few other providers to meet with prior to making a decision. Well yesterday (a good week or so after our interview) I see they are advertising on Care.com. They don't say anything about being unimpressed with people they have met but it still hurts a little. I wish I knew what they didn't like. But then again there were a few red flags during the interview so I am not sure I would have really wanted them but I really could use another client. I would definitely post a reply to their ad! I am thinking of doing the same thing for this family.
Let me know if you do. I decided not to bother.
Former Teacher 06:02 AM 06-16-2012
Let me know if you do. I decided not to bother.
Good for you!

It shows you are the bigger person!
momofboys 06:37 PM 06-16-2012
I didn't post a reply - I thought about it a little more & decided it's okay if they didn't pick me & things work out for a reason of which I will post about on another thread!
cheerfuldom 08:44 PM 06-16-2012
maybe they didnt interview anywhere else, but probably they made other phone calls, talked to people, checked out websites and facebook pages, etc. Maybe they were unimpressed so much with the others, they didnt even bother to interview. I would imagine that that comment is either about the rate or the ratio of kids or location. The first big things that parents come across when looking for daycares. the comment may not have been solely directed at you.
Reply Up