Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Neighbors Against My Daycare
mymomschoice 06:41 PM 10-07-2010
Hi all,

We (child daycare providers) are required to obtain a use permit and business license prior to operating a large family home daycare in the state and city I live in.

My neighbors are against my daycare and they want the city to deny my application to operate a large family home daycare.

Here are some of my neighbors complaints:

1) Diminishing property values (I believe my daycare has nothing to do with this).

2) Noise - According to the Zoning Administrator, my play area is designed and located in an area to minimize noise impacts.

3) Traffic issues - The city traffic engineer determined that the volume was not significant for a residential street.

4) Parking spaces - I have a 3-car garage. Nine (9) cars can park in front my driveway.

5) One of the city & state's requirements is that the childcare provider should live in the home where care is provided. ~My neighbors do not believe that we live in this home.

They believe that my family and I do not live in this home because we are too quiet and they said that our lights are always off at night (Isn't that funny?)

They requested the city inspector to come to home just to make sure that we actually live in this home. ~Again, they failed because we live in this home and we love it!

The most annoying comment that will probably hate a lot of readers of this post is when my neighbor told me (at the hearing) in front of other people that he does not believe that I, the applicant, should be making a living in this country (Yeah... go figure!!! Of course, I'm a US citizen but, my color is not the same as my neighbor who said this).

After the inspection and 5 days of holding my breath, I finally got the use permit. However, I received an email from the inspector today and I found out that some of our neighbors would like to appeal the Zoning Administrator's decision.

I really don't know at this moment what is going to happen. I do know one thing though, my intentions are good. I would like to be friends with my neighbors but, I can't please everyone (mostly if it means lowering my income that can affect my family).

My question is, do childcare providers have some kind of protection against this kind of neighbors? They are well off and educated people but, it's just really sad how much they hate the kids and childcare providers like us.
Tags:business license, daycare vs neighbors, neighbor issue, nuisance, permit
Up