Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Licensed DayCare vs. Private DayCare
marylmr 03:14 PM 01-25-2010
Do not let the State scare you with their anger talk. As long as you love the children - spend quality time with them - thats all that matters. What can they throw you in jail for? Oh you make MONEY!!? Seriously that's what this world is boiling down too - who makes the most money..

And reading topics before mine - unlicensed daycare is just as better as a licensed daycare?.. Yes I agree! I watch the news every day & hear licensed daycares having their licensed revoke due to neglecting child(s) - physical abuse and so on. I'll tell you this - back in the 1970's before the law past that anyone oroviding care for more than two families are required to be licensed!. WELL watching the news everyday for number of years, I see more & more children being sexually, physically & emotionally abused in a licensed daycare. So in another words - back in the years before the law past to be licensed, children were better off in a private home daycare.Being a licensed daycare is STRESSFUL because they're so many strict regulations & the more money you make - the more taxes you have to pay back to the government! And with a license certificate - the state can come to your home anytime they want & you are not allow to lock them out or you'll have your license revoked.

Being a license family home provider - you have to run the daycare the way the state wants you too. I'm not talking about spanking a child because that is ABUSE!. I'm talking about semi-structure - close to running a preschool some what.Being licensed with the State - The State OWNS YOUR HOME & has access to your home anytime..So with the State being all over you and owning you - it does make it hard to be licensed & its not fair to the children to fear you,(that your nervous). As a mother myself to four beautiful children - a granddaughter, I do not have a record of being a child abuser. I have a CPR certificate in children and adult. I know how to raise children properly. So many, many family home licensed daycares are opening everyday & alot of those licensed daycares are getting their licensed revoked everyday! Your better off running a private home daycare.

I was licensed once and refuse to renew my licensed because it is stressful working with the State and having my family & friends investigated and pissed off about it.The State for one can tell you who can be at your home & who can't. Even when you do not provide weekend Childcare - the State still tells you who can be at your home and who can't. Seriously I do not want anything to do with child abuser or crimmals but when you have your good friends,(like a few of mine that are LPN's investigated by Childcare), I get disturbing phone calls from my friends,questioning why I had to have them investigated by Childcare? So I told my friends that I'm not getting licensed again after my licensed is due for renewal..What a embarraassment to me and my friends.Having to give the State of childcare my family/friends their social security number/age/birth date/complete home adress & place employment. YES the State does own you/your home and you do not have no privacy.The State is your BOSS & you have no control over them.Talk about invasion of privacy to you and your friends. If you suspect your being investigated because your running a daycare - don't fear because your nothing comparing to those licensed daycares that are being shut down everyday!. My yard is protected with safe equipments & I have been running a private daycare for years. Parents that have their children in my daycare prefer a unlicensed daycare anyways and refuse to talk to the state because they know they're out to look for trouble..I except checks to and have cashed them for years. What the State doesn't find - you'll be alright. Like I said - it's all money talk and bull**** walks.

I mention above - I watch the news everyday,(read the newspaper where the Stare has revoked daycares and were cited into court where the Daycares have got their licensed back).YES the state HAS revoked daycares for wrong reasons and have lost court cases and had to give the daycare providers their licensed back... Believe it or not, they're SO MANY, MANY in home daycares licensed with no High School dIploma.Any High School drop out can get licensed with the State to run a daycare. So again, your better off to be private. Its less headaches to deal with the State owning your home & you. I have had suspious vechiles watching me & cops coming to my house. Without a warrant, the cops have to leave. And being watch, I have just as much rights to have them leave.Its Stalking & against the law!. Without evidence and being a proud parent and a Daycare parent - thats all it matters. Your fine & I'm still running a private daycare in my home,(have been for years) & I love it!!. Children have their freedom, especially during the summer vacation when school is out. But being licensed with the State - children have less freedom and have to have semi school all year around with no break!. Is that fair to the children?...My daycare children can not wait to come to my home & believe it or not, the kids actually kick their parents out. LOL

They are happy- go lucky kids..By the way - think AGAIN if you want to be licensed by the state to become a daycare provider, because Barack Obama is CUTTING ChildCare cost! Putting your child in a licensed DayCare COST ALOT more money & with ChildCare fundings being cutted, childcare providers will still ask parents to pay more out of their pockets to meet their Childcare cost! BUT with private daycare's, it does cost LESS & I go by the parents income. Parents deserve to have spending money to them self. Why in the world do people work? They need money to live and I help them save by deciding to go private. And with the Children in my care, my child care cost went down & parents are very relief and happy that I do not have the State,(boss breathing over my shoulders 24/7). The ChildCare field investigators can & will investigate ChildCare even with no reasons. Investigate to check up on them, even with no complaints. So do you want to still get licensed?
Unregistered 06:12 PM 01-30-2010
I agree with you more than ever. So how many kids do you think is too much for my private daycare? I have fourkids of my own and two of them are in school all day and haven't had a daycare in my home before. Could use your help.
Unregistered 04:50 PM 02-02-2010
I would also like to know how many children are allowed besides your own. I have a 2 year-old. I also homeschool my 15 year-old, and live in the state of Mississippi. So am I thinking this right, you don't have to have a state license if you keep a certain amount of children in your home? I really didn't want to have to do that either. Wasn't sure I had a choice though. Thanks for your help!

Alyssyn
Carole's Daycare 11:59 AM 02-04-2010
Wow. That isn't just a defense of unlicensed caregiving, but an attack on licensed caregivers and any state or regulatory process involving childcare. Licensed caregivers found /cited in abuse neglect or injury cases make the news, but that's no excuse to bash all licensed caregivers. You hear about more cases of abuse because the media is now willing to talk about it, and law enforcement and social services do a better job of investigating and prosecuting it. Years ago it was kept "private" and not an issue at all in the public forum. In fact, licensed caregivers GET CAUGHT because of that state interference you are complaining about- which protects children, makes the public aware of potential hazards(which hopefully encourages them to be more involved in their child's care) and lets bad providers know they will be caught. Licensing investigates anyone who spends the night or frequents a daycare home during hours for the protection of the children, including my husband ( deputy sheriff) my teenaged honor student, and any friends that have access to the children. If that makes your friends uncomfortable, too bad.

As for the supposed lack of education- I'm certain just as many unlicensed providers were unsuccessful students or non-graduates as licensed ones. The difference is licensed providers are REQUIRED to participate in further training. Many unlicensed providers are educated and provide quality care, and choose to not license for many reasons. There are also some are blithering idiots that I wouldn't let watch my dog. They do not undergo ongoing training, and, since they are unlicensed, are not required to, nor are they "on the radar" so that anyone knows for certain what their qualifications might be. There are licensed providers that aren't terrific also. Hopefully that is changing, as in Minnesota we are implementing QRS (voluntary at the moment)- which is a quality rating program that allows licensed daycares to have independent observers evaluate their program and rate it on different areas. For example- How does the home/environment measure up based on the environmental rating scale? How much education does the provider have? What type of curriculum or educational opportunity is provided? How is parent communication handled. Etc Etc. Families will be able to get more information prior to enrolling children on how the daycare measures up, and choose caregivers that score higher in areas that are more important to them. A parent may not care if they have bulletin boards or newsletters, but really want a place with a lot of dedicated daycare space. Another parent may not consider separate daycare space as important as the providers education and training.

I don't think the "argument" about licensing VS unlicensed care is about whether unlicensed providers can be a good provider. For those of us who license- and I, at least, work in training and on boards related to children's issues, its about safety and consistency and quality- and how much influence and responsibility the state has for ensuring the safety of children in care. In MN over 80% of children under school age are in daycare or preschool programs. Statistics show nationally over 48% of available daycare options ARE NOT GOOD FOR CHILDREN. I promise you there are people who blame the state whenever there is a lack- and if it was totally unregulated and your child was hurt in any daycare, or even if they went to school unprepared, the state would get the blame for not ensuring the safety of a business caring for children. Should childcare providers have fewer requirements than workers caring for our elderly as home care or nursing home workers? Yet they must be licensed, and in fact take and pass a licensing exam, while daycares do not. It really isn't about making life hard for the provider, or the STATE owning your business. It does not require year round preschool, or any curriculum specifically. It requires basic safety and health precautions, and a knowledge and practice of basic quality care in terms of child development and positive discipline. It can be inconvenient- I just had my surprise food program visit this morning. The hope is to find a way to ensure consistent, quality care. No regulatory system can guarantee 100% effectiveness, but the hope is to empower providers to see themselves, and be treated, as professionals, thereby increasing their access to training, grants and professional development, as well as having some oversight as to basic safety and quality.

I respect all of the providers opinions, licensed or not, and have received encouragement, ideas and help from both, so it is not my intent to disparage anyone. I do think the vitriol and animosity towards the state of this original poster, makes me question their motives somewhat. Also, however eloquently they stated their case, it is apparent to me this individual has no business criticizing the education of other providers. Graduate or not I would not have this person as a primary language influence on my child. Also the extreme anti-establishment rhetoric makes me uncomfortable. I'm one of those parents who would choose education and curriculum over other factors. That's just how I am. I try hard to balance what I know they need to learn, and what I know they need for healthy emotional, psychological and social development, which is why I run a home daycare instead of a more institutional center. Another person may be uncomfortable with a childcare run by a geek that focuses on education- preferring a more laissez fare approach. Ultimately the amount of state influence over any business is always up for debate, but the unfortunately as the world changes and the cost of education goes up, and early childhood education is more and more a factor in long term success, there will be ongoing expectations of ensuring quality in the family daycare home.
Unregistered 08:23 AM 01-11-2013
Bravo!!! I agree 100%
I was licensed through the state and had my license suspended.....why? I was falsely accused of bein on drugs I had 3 different drug test performed and all three came back clean however DHS can't be prevent wrong. I have a case against them not because I want my license back but to clear my name. I Ryan a private daycare and I can finally breathe again and the children have the freedom to be children. My advise is to not get license. My son had to get rid of his lizards he had had for years because the state said no. They tell you and your family members what they can or can't do. I understand them wanting to know who lives in the home so I provide all that for my new parents now with background checks. Oh and if they want they can come in and take your own kids from you if they feel like it. Keep the state out of your house because you will never have a home.
Springdaze 08:37 AM 01-11-2013
I know this is old, but in a way I agree. I am licensed, my state gives no benefits to being licensed by way of allowing you to have more kids if you are. I do it because it is really the only way a parent can hope that you are qualified. I know it doesnt take much to be licensed, but at least you have to have a background check and such. If I didnt have to, I probably wouldnt but I feel that it "looks better" to a parent who doesnt know me from the next person.
Unregistered 10:42 PM 01-20-2013
Hi I would like to help parent out whit there daycare fees can some tell me if I was going to charge a parent by there income how would I charge them and what should be included
mbullette 11:07 AM 01-21-2013
I am not sure what state you are in but in Wisconsin if you are not licensed you can have 3 kids plus your own.
Unregistered 11:10 AM 01-28-2013
To me my view is to each his own.
The following is why I just dropped from being a Licensed Family Child Care Center (that's what they call it now a center), that is being forced maintain the same rules that a regular Day Care Center that has multiple employees does. The paperwork is outragious, the background checks now have to be done quarterly for myself and yearly for each member of my family. I have never even had anything on my record. The Licensers that are being sent to each establishment all have their own / interpretation of the Day Care Rules.
I have been providing daycare for over 33 years, my first 20 years I had no idea there was such a thing as being Licensed. At that time I would have up to 12 children including my own 2 boys. My Idea, still to this day is, I want my Family daycare to be "family" based. The children came and still do come and become one of my extended family, never treated any different. We went/go for walks, we made meals and snacks together, we drove to school and such if weather was bad outside. I just installed a child safety alarm in my van that my husband and I didn't want to have to deal with turning off when by ourselves shopping etc., but that was a MAJOR part of my daycare, I actually was becoming depressed in the loss of my idea of daycare. I have always been a semi-structured, learn while playing, learning how to get along in a setting with other kids. My kids have always sang the ABC's while washing their hands, we have always had calender time. My daycare!!! It was the right decision for me!!!! Again to each his own. Just love the children with all your heart!!!!!
Unregistered 10:36 AM 10-23-2013
I am unlicensed and actually had planned to get licensed my first year. But the parents I have been providing care for do not support it. They don't want the state in their business or mine. I live in IL. Two of the parents I have as clients have jobs that you would think they would be more supportive of the state. One is a cook county detective and the other is a lieutenant for the fire department. They both believe the state does anything for money and prefer their children in a privately run home daycare. I'm not against licensed home daycares at all. But I think some people have a point about the state being too involved in our homes and lives.
Unregistered 05:38 PM 02-11-2014
Seriously? I live in IL and have never had any problems with licensing. It's a lot of work, but what business owner doesn't have a lot on their plate? I honestly feel like a licensed home daycare looks better. I actually think they should raise the standards to become and stay licensed! If you have nothing to hide, what are you worried about?
MommaB3 06:20 AM 04-08-2014
I have been both a licensed and unlicensed home provider. When I was licensed I felt everyone should be licensed or be shut down because I felt if I had to follow certain standards then everyone should. Currently I am not licensed. I run the same daycare that I did when I was licensed just without the license.

The biggest reason I didn't want to be licensed anymore was due to being told the things I needed to do to my home. This is my HOME, yes I run a business out of it. The children are safe here. I raised my kids here. I'm not going to have anything that would be unsafe for a child. I still have my CPR certification and do ongoing trainings. I have a degree in ECE. I totally understand all the rules for a center. That is a business that is run at a business not someone's home. I just feel some of the things that they require for a home provider is ridiculous. I don't want my home to look like a daycare center anymore than it already does. If that makes me a bad provider then I guess I am.
NightOwl 06:26 AM 04-08-2014
This is the most ridiculous post i have ever read. I also turn in unlicensed providers. And who is she to talk about not having an education when she apparently doesn't herself? Her grammar is deplorable. I hope someone can find out who this person is and put her out of "business". There is definitely something wrong if parents seek out unlicensed providers. They must have something to hide, just like the provider. I have way more pride in my work than to be unlicensed. And I'm sure she's also uninsured. A real winner.
getnsmart 06:29 AM 05-08-2019
Originally Posted by NightOwl:
This is the most ridiculous post i have ever read. I also turn in unlicensed providers. And who is she to talk about not having an education when she apparently doesn't herself? Her grammar is deplorable. I hope someone can find out who this person is and put her out of "business". There is definitely something wrong if parents seek out unlicensed providers. They must have something to hide, just like the provider. I have way more pride in my work than to be unlicensed. And I'm sure she's also uninsured. A real winner.
I definitely agree, some of those posts are simply ridiculous
Blackcat31 06:37 AM 05-08-2019
Originally Posted by getnsmart:
I definitely agree, some of those posts are simply ridiculous
This is an old thread.

The post you quoted is from 2014

Always relevant information but old thread none the less
Meeko 12:18 PM 05-09-2019
This post is ancient, but I have read over it a few times. The title makes me roll my eyes.

There are really only two types of daycare. Licensed/registered or legally unlicensed.

Everything else is ILLEGAL.

She calls it "Licensed" or "Private".

Private is not another word for illegal!!! She knows full well she is wrong. She just doesn't like to jump through a few hoops. Few of us actually enjoy the paperwork and inspections etc, but it's part of our job. We don't have to like it. The regs are there to help protect the kids.

We live in a world of rules and regs. That's just life. We don't get to decide which laws we will abide by and which ones we won't.

I don't get much enjoyment out of paying the registration and insurance on my car. So I guess I'd better stop doing it and become a "private" car owner then???....

And any illegal provider who has the gall to complain when a parent doesn't follow HER rules...needs to look in the mirror.
Blackcat31 12:57 PM 05-09-2019
Originally Posted by Meeko:
This post is ancient, but I have read over it a few times. The title makes me roll my eyes.

There are really only two types of daycare. Licensed/registered or legally unlicensed.

Everything else is ILLEGAL.

She calls it "Licensed" or "Private".

Private is not another word for illegal!!! She knows full well she is wrong. She just doesn't like to jump through a few hoops. Few of us actually enjoy the paperwork and inspections etc, but it's part of our job. We don't have to like it. The regs are there to help protect the kids.

We live in a world of rules and regs. That's just life. We don't get to decide which laws we will abide by and which ones we won't.

I don't get much enjoyment out of paying the registration and insurance on my car. So I guess I'd better stop doing it and become a "private" car owner then???....

And any illegal provider who has the gall to complain when a parent doesn't follow HER rules...needs to look in the mirror.
We should have an Post of the Week (like Employee of the Month) because this one would be this weeks featured post for sure!

Great response Meeko!!
Unregistered 07:36 AM 03-21-2017
How can we fight back against all of this? It's not ok for daycares to be shut down for no reason who! Can help when this happens I need serious answers please and thank you..
Blackcat31 08:09 AM 03-21-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
How can we fight back against all of this? It's not ok for daycares to be shut down for no reason who! Can help when this happens I need serious answers please and thank you..
Fight back against what?

I am not understanding your post and what it is you are looking for....

This is an older thread so not sure what it is you are referring to when you say "fight back against all of this".
judiann123 07:50 AM 09-16-2017
DESCRIPTION
We are a professional couple looking for a nanny to care for our three children. One is three year old, second one is two and the third one is six months old. You must have at least five years of experience as a nanny, You must love children and be reliable, trustworthy, punctual and well presented. You will be required to work weekdays from 8am – 6pm, with occasional evenings/weekends for which you will be paid overtime. We cannot accommodate if you are a smoker.

Your responsibilities will include:
• Creating a nurturing and stimulating environment
• Meeting the children’s social, emotional and physical needs
• Providing age-appropriate activities
• Doing the children’s laundry
• Dressing the children
• Bathing the children
• Assisting with self-care and hygiene, including diapering
• Potty training
• Disciplining the children, when necessary and in accordance with our parenting principles
• Reading to the children
• Keeping the children’s bedroom and toy room organized and tidy
• Preparing nutritious meals and snacks
• Returning the house to the condition it was in upon arrival
• Instilling good manners and a sense of responsibility
• Taking the children on age-appropriate outings
• Transporting the children to and from activities and appointments
• Accompanying parents to medical appointments
• Traveling with the family.
Requirements
• At least five years of previous nanny experience
• Must have at least ten reviews from your close family and friends on your Callitme profile
• Experience caring for newborns (toddlers, preschoolers, or teens)
• Good health
• Valid driver’s license
• Authorization to legally accept employment in the United States
• Dependable, honest and trustworthy
• Can work independently
• Knowledge of the community and activities available to young children.
Unregistered 05:33 PM 07-30-2019
Where is your location??

Originally Posted by judiann123:
DESCRIPTION
We are a professional couple looking for a nanny to care for our three children. One is three year old, second one is two and the third one is six months old. You must have at least five years of experience as a nanny, You must love children and be reliable, trustworthy, punctual and well presented. You will be required to work weekdays from 8am – 6pm, with occasional evenings/weekends for which you will be paid overtime. We cannot accommodate if you are a smoker.

• Dressing the children
• Bathing the children
• Potty training
• Disciplining the children, when necessary and in accordance with our parenting principles
Requirements
• Must have at least ten reviews from your close family and friends on your Callitme profile
• Good health
• Valid driver’s license
• Can work independently

Unregistered 05:39 PM 07-30-2019
I am new to this forum. I see you are located in the south. Rats. I have nearly 20 years experience with children and am currently with 3 girls and have been with them since their births. They are now turning 5 (twins) and six. My time with them is combing to an end and I am so heartbroken over it. I hope you find the right person. Never compromise when it comes to the care of your children. And pick someone who has strong Christian values. That’s my advice. Take it for what it’s worth.

Originally Posted by judiann123:
DESCRIPTION

• Dressing the children
• Bathing the children
• Potty training
Requirements
• Good health
• Valid driver’s license
• Can work independently

Unregistered 07:35 AM 01-15-2020
Hello. I am in need of a commercial space for my program. Near Atlana.

Thank you
Tags:2010, exemption, illegal, illegal daycare, illegal providers, legally unlicensed, licensed, licensed vs private daycare, registered vs licensed, unlicensed daycare
Reply Up