Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Outdoor Programs
Heidi 11:25 AM 01-31-2012
So, since it's practically spring here, I am already thinking. I would like to do a mostly-outdoor program once the weather turns for good. We will only come inside for potty and naps, otherwise we will be outside unless it's a bad weather day.

I know some people do naps outside as well, but I have mine sleeping almost 3 hours, and am not willing to give that up because of outside distractions.

How do you all handle outdoor handwashing? Does anyone have a sink, or do you just use the faucet? We have a faucet out there, but it would be cold water.

Our regs say:

A child's hands shall be washed with soap and warm running water before meals and snacks and after toileting or diapering. A child's hands and face shall be washed after meals.

If running water is not immediately available when outdoors or on field trips, soap and water based wet wipes may be used. WHen running water becausem available, hands shall be washed immediately with soap and running water.

Does anyone do outdoor programs, and if so, what are your "must haves"?
Countrygal 01:00 PM 01-31-2012
Yep, our Cert. standards read the same except without the exemption for outdoors/field trips.

I can't figure how to get around this one other than really wet wipes. Some homemade ones would stay wetter and would probably clean better. I used to make homemade diaper wipes. I'd just rip soft rags (like flannel sheets) into washcloth-sized squares and fold and put into a plastic wipe container. Then I'd pour a hot solution of whatever I wanted in the wipes over the top.

Your specs for handwashing require they be soap and water based, so I'd use a nice, pure castille soap with water. You heat them and mix them ahead of time, then pour over the wipes. I have recipes if you think these are something that would work for you!
snbauser 03:00 PM 01-31-2012
We do outside programs when the weather is nice, but we do come in to eat. Not enough seats outside and picnic style ends up a mess.
Tags:hand sanitizer, handwashing, outdoor, outdoor activities
Reply Up