Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Networking Courtesy
daycare 02:36 PM 01-09-2012
Hi ladies, some advice needed.

I do not take children under the age of 20 months. Right now I have two families that have their children in my home program with younger siblings. Both of them are about 10 months old.

Well, I network with a local provider here in my town who does take this age group and younger. I found out about her with some of my clients in the same situation and this is where the parents sent their younger sibling that was not old enough for my program.

Both of the families I have, have asked me for a referral for their younger children. The families want to have their child attend the other provider, until they are of age to be enrolled into my program. Both have even offered to pay to hold a spot.

I feel bad to ask this provider to take the kids for only a short period of time and then take them from her.

What would you do? Any advice?
Cat Herder 03:25 PM 01-09-2012
Be honest or it could backfire and kill your professional reputation in your circle.

Most likely they will still agree with the expectation they will change the parents minds during their children's time there.

Be prepared to lose both the older AND younger sibling occasionally as parents choose the other provider.

It will go both ways (some will stick with you, others with her) ESPECIALLY if the other provider takes all ages.

Just my honest opinion...not only telling you what you want to hear. You know I have your best interest at heart. There are some pretty big risks, here.
daycare 03:37 PM 01-09-2012
trust me, I have thought of exactly what you said. I think that I will not send the referral. I just don't think that it is a fair thing to do.

When it happened last time, even though it was the parents choice, I still felt bad...

I think that I will only keep the referrals to those that don't have families here.

thanks for responding and helping out...
sharlan 03:51 PM 01-09-2012
As a parent, I would want both of my children at the same provider. It would be too much of a hassle to drop off one, drop off the other, pick up one, pick up the other.

I wouldn't provide a referral. If something went wrong, the parents could blame you for referring the other provider.
countrymom 06:08 PM 01-09-2012
Originally Posted by sharlan:
As a parent, I would want both of my children at the same provider. It would be too much of a hassle to drop off one, drop off the other, pick up one, pick up the other.

I wouldn't provide a referral. If something went wrong, the parents could blame you for referring the other provider.
I agree. could you make an excemption this time.
daycare 06:11 PM 01-09-2012
I thought about it, but I dont have faith that I could run my preschool program with a child here of that age as successful as I do now. the needs are just too different.

BTDT and I can't do it. It would be only 2 days a week.

ANY One teach preschool with children of these ages?

10 mths, 20 mtnhs the rest are all 3-5...

How would I do it??
beachgrl 07:14 PM 01-09-2012
Daycare, I only have toddlers at the moment but I have had them and three year old and should soon have another three yr old starting. I just did things with the older child while the toddlers played in centers and then also did some things whole group if the toddlers were able to or I would do some more things with them that were more age appropriate.

My experience the older children can understand that you may need to do something with the "babies" and then can do more with them one on one while the littles are playing. It can be challenging but if you provide activities that are good for both while including some that are specific to the youngers and olders it can work I think.
daycare 07:21 PM 01-09-2012
Originally Posted by beachgrl:
Daycare, I only have toddlers at the moment but I have had them and three year old and should soon have another three yr old starting. I just did things with the older child while the toddlers played in centers and then also did some things whole group if the toddlers were able to or I would do some more things with them that were more age appropriate.

My experience the older children can understand that you may need to do something with the "babies" and then can do more with them one on one while the littles are playing. It can be challenging but if you provide activities that are good for both while including some that are specific to the youngers and olders it can work I think.
did you have to separate environments for the kids?
I used to have two separate for younger and older, but don't any more. So my preschool room would be a huge NO environment for a child this age. I don't know where or what I would be able to do with the child....
small_steps 05:50 AM 01-10-2012
I have all ages as well and I do still teach a program. When they are about 18 months sometimes a little younger I include them in our circle time and story times. During our activities I will either use the baby supergate and give them some toys to play with so they can't come over to the table to try to get our things, or I will put them in their booster seats and give them something they can do. It's hard and I probably don't get to do quite as much with the bigger ones. It can get stressful too....when I put them in the superyard they usually scream until we are done with our activities..even though there isn't anything wrong with them. I understand why you would not take the younger ones.

I just take them because I have to stay full as a single mom and there are always people in our town looking for infant care.
Tags:professionalism, provider - friends, provider - interaction, temporary care
Reply Up