Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>For Those Who Have A Deposit Or Holding Fee To Hold A Spot
momma2girls 08:12 AM 05-04-2011
For those of you that have a deposit or holding fee to hold the child's spot- what do you call it? How long will you hold a spot?
daycare 09:41 AM 05-04-2011
Holding fee

It depends on the situation how long I will him it.
If it's and existing client with a new child I will hold it for 3 months max other wise it's 6 weeks
blueclouds29 10:01 AM 05-04-2011
How about a new client i just had over last night who's baby is due in sept and they don't want to start till Jan. If they love me and want a spot would you take a deposit? I have opening... have had some for a while, so the spot being taken is not really an issue right now..
lil angels 10:01 AM 05-04-2011
I call it a deposit

I do hole spots for current people for new babies for 6 mon some times. I don't like to hold spots for new clients that long because they may flake on me.

And it is non refundable
daycare 10:14 AM 05-04-2011
I dont know if i would hold a spot that long, but if you are not full and think that you will not be full anytime soon then it might be a good idea.

However, make sure you have a contract and that the family understand that it is NOT refundable for any reason unless, you are not able to offer the spot when it comes time for them to start. Then you would be required to refund any money they gave you.
bice99 12:31 PM 05-04-2011
I have a holding fee. Not a deposit b/c it's not. It is paying me half rate to hold the spot since I am losing income by holding the spot. Non-refundable. Does not apply to future care. Is due on the first of everything. I have a separate contract for it as well.
momma2girls 01:02 PM 05-04-2011
Originally Posted by blueclouds29:
How about a new client i just had over last night who's baby is due in sept and they don't want to start till Jan. If they love me and want a spot would you take a deposit? I have opening... have had some for a while, so the spot being taken is not really an issue right now..
Well after 8 yrs. of providing daycare, I finally have this in my contract- If you would like for me to hold a spot for you, I have a deposit of one week per month to hold it. This is nonrefundable and only to hold your spot here.
I just had a family hold a spot for 4 months here last month.
momma2girls 01:06 PM 05-04-2011
I was stupid a yr. ago, and held a spot for someone for 10 months on a 2 week deposit only!! Then she had the nerve to tell me 2 weeks before the baby was going to start- my hrs. were no longer going to work for them. They were going to an in home daycare that was open for 12 hrs. daily, and they were going to be using the 12 hrs. I asked her, if she was going to- What a family, keep a newborn in daycare for 12 hrs. daily!!!Then she had the nerve to ask me- now we probably do not receive our dep. back, do we? I said to her "no, do you realize how many families I turned away, because of you wanting the spot, probably like 30-40!!!!! Also think how much money I lost out on as well!!! I made changes right after this happened!!
Tags:deposit, holding spot, holding spot policy
Reply Up