Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Divorcing While Running a Daycare
Unregistered 06:25 AM 10-08-2010
I just told my husband I don't want to be married anymore.
What do I need to do to make sure that I cover all my bases as far as my business is concerned?
I can't let this effect my daycare.

(I'm a regular poster - but Idon't want him to know I posted this so I logged out)
gbcc 09:03 AM 10-08-2010
I'm sorry your going through this difficult time.

Is his name on your business documents? If not I don't see why you divorcing would affect your daycare at all. I would just notify your registrar that he will no longer be residing in the home.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 09:23 AM 10-08-2010
I divorced 15 years ago. I just told licensing when I renewed that he was no longer there. no big. Good luck, if you need to talk Im here, (((())))
Crystal 12:14 PM 10-08-2010
I think I'd seek legal counsel if I were you. If you live in a Community Property state, he may have some legal claim to a portion of your business. Of course, ideally, he'll be an adult about it and not try something like that, but it is possible. Also, I am hoping that there were no domestic violence issues....but if there were, you may want to brace for backlash from him. If that is the case, I'd be filing for a restraining order and also try to have another adult in the home while you are working.

As far as your families, when the time for your husband to move out comes, I would type up a short memo explaining the situation and let them know if they have any questions or concerns that you are available to meet with them individually.

I hope that things go smoothly and you find happiness that you seem to be missing.....hugs, and we are here if you need to talk.
grandmom 02:47 PM 10-08-2010
My business was indeed used in the settlement division. My name was on the documents, he was an employee on the records but still insisted I owed him money for his interest in the business.

Seek legal counsel.
Tags:close daycare, divorce
Reply Up