Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Infant Room vs. Toddler Room
Unregistered 08:04 PM 04-13-2017
Hi guys. I need some advice from those of you who are more experienced than I am. I work in the toddler room at a daycare and it is terrible. Don't get me wrong-- there are great days. However, the bad days are HORRIBLE and I don't think that I can put up with it anymore. I'm considering asking the director if I can switch to the infant room. Do you think that this would be a good idea? I'm already considering becoming a nanny instead, but just in case things do not work out with the family that I am interviewing with on Saturday, what should I do? Are infants more difficult to manage? Would you rather be in an infant room or a toddler room? What is a day like in an infant room?
racemom 08:22 PM 04-13-2017
I worked in the infant room for 6 years before switching to toddlers. I believe everyone has a group they enjoy working with more than other groups. The infant room can be enjoyable, and hard work. It's hard for anyone to tell you what group you may like the best. Infants are a lot of routine, feeding, changing, rocking, napping etc. But they also are learning new things everyday. I found it was a lot more busy work, but emotionally less trying than toddlers. I honestly enjoy 3 year olds the best, but currently I have 2 year olds. I struggle with 2 year olds because they have very strong personalities and are trying to become independent.

If you are burned out on toddlers, I would ask for the switch. You need to find your niche. If you are stressed the kids sense it and it upsets their day also.
Silly Songs 08:43 PM 04-13-2017
Although I worked in mostly 3 year old rooms, I did spend my share of time in other rooms. I once spent almost 12 days in an infant room. I would also help out in the toddler and upper toddler rooms.

Here is my take on it. The infant room can be very boring, depending on the age group. There is no established nap time with the younger ones, they sleep when they sleep. Some centers require teachers to wash bottles, most ask parents to provide 3-5 bottles and we would just rinse them. There are many diaper changes, usually the ratio is less than toddler room, so you may be on your own with 3-4 . infants or with a helper if it's over 5. Babies cry. A lot. They poop a lot. They spit up a lot. Parents of infants tend to be more over concerned than parents of toddlers. Babies need to be held to be fed and comforted, so it's really hard to meet the needs of multiple babies at one time.
Toddlers are noisy. They run and throw things, as you probably already experienced. They can bite and hit friends when your back is turned. Mealtime is really messy. But those hugs and adorable words are magic. Toddlers love to imitate others, so you need to be on your game and try to show the behavior you want repeated. Then they do their own thing anyway.
Older toddlers are more independent but still get clingy at times. They are still in diapers but the messes are far worse than the other stages. This is the age (2 plus) where they can get picky about food. Outside time is a bit more relaxing but you are still on your feet, running to grab a daredevil or pulling Suzy away from the mud for the 100th time. This is a great age for circle time and stories and songs.
All ages have pros and cons. Maybe you can spend some time in the infant room before you ask to be transferred. Also, your class currently is probably starting to bond with you. Most centers I worked in prefer teachers to stay with the group there are in unless there is a reason to move them. Maybe you just need to give it time. All of this is my opinion.
Unregistered 02:08 AM 04-14-2017
Thanks, guys. This was good advice. My main problem with the toddler room is there there are two boys who are unmanageable. When they aren't there, things aren't so bad. However, they are usually there. We get help from management with them all the time, but the situation is not improving because their behavior NEVER CHANGES. It's so bad, and it's what's burning me out. But I agree about them just getting used to me-- they seem to have been used to me for about a month now, and I hate to leave at this point, but those two boys are the kids that I lose sleep over, and I can have that in my life. I'm pretty sure that I slept only 5 hours last night (which is why I'm making this post so early in the morning) because I couldn't fall asleep in the first place for a long time.
Cat Herder 05:14 AM 04-14-2017
IMHO, it depends on which kind of drama you prefer to deal with. Both are stressful or they would not have to pay you to do it.

In the infant room you deal with mostly adult drama. The co-worker kind, more specifically.

In the toddler room you deal with mostly kid drama. It is made worse if you have co-workers kids in your room.

I have patience for kids antics for days . I was not so blessed with it for adults who should know better, already.

Good luck! Figuring out where your passion and weakness lies is the toughest part. It gets much better from there.
BumbleBee 05:41 AM 04-14-2017
Originally Posted by racemom:
I believe everyone has a group they enjoy working with more than other groups. The infant room can be enjoyable, and hard work. It's hard for anyone to tell you what group you may like the best.

If you are burned out on toddlers, I would ask for the switch. You need to find your niche. If you are stressed the kids sense it and it upsets their day also.
I second this. My niche is 18 months-almost 3. Older or younger and it's just not the same for me. Ask for the switch. If nothing else, you'll gain more experience and build your resume with more age groups.
CeriBear 07:29 AM 04-14-2017
I would ask for the switch too. You really need to find your " fit" and work from there. If the toddler room is stressing you out to much why not ask to transfer to the infant room for a while. I've worked with kiddos of all ages from babies up to school age and my favorite is the 3-5 year olds.
Tags:classroom management, niche, stressful days
Reply Up