Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Phb ? What The Fee Includes?
MNmamaOf4 08:35 PM 10-20-2011
I'm wondering if anyone has in the PHB what their fee includes, if so, would you mind sharing it with me? I'm working on revamping my PHB for the 1st of the year, I have a total PITA mom, that I need to spell everything out with and to this point, I don't think she's read my PHB. I think I'd like to have a section in there that says what the fee includes.

-care of your child
-meals (breakfast, lunch and afternoon snack)
-holds the spot

What else?

Thanks!
daycare 08:46 PM 10-20-2011
Originally Posted by MNmamaOf4:
I'm wondering if anyone has in the PHB what their fee includes, if so, would you mind sharing it with me? I'm working on revamping my PHB for the 1st of the year, I have a total PITA mom, that I need to spell everything out with and to this point, I don't think she's read my PHB. I think I'd like to have a section in there that says what the fee includes.

-care of your child
-meals (breakfast, lunch and afternoon snack)
-holds the spot

What else?

Thanks!
your ears must be ringing, because I was just telling my husband that I am going to write a little section in my rates section called:

Where does all the money go..
over head
taxes
DC insurance
curriculum
food
supplies
art supplies, cleaning supplies
wear and tear of the house, maintaince
carpet cleaning
labor
toy replacement
field trips
ugh I cant think, I need a beer....lmao

sorry its late

is this what you are looking for? I want to get a list going...
MNmamaOf4 08:50 PM 10-20-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
your ears must be ringing, because I was just telling my husband that I am going to write a little section in my rates section called:

Where does all the money go..
over head
taxes
DC insurance
curriculum
food
supplies
art supplies, cleaning supplies
wear and tear of the house, maintaince
carpet cleaning
labor
toy replacement
field trips
ugh I cant think, I need a beer....lmao

sorry its late

is this what you are looking for? I want to get a list going...
You rock! This is exactly what I'm looking for. Maybe a few more will throw out some ideas. My one daycare mom thinks the fee only covers her child to be watched.
daycare 10:17 PM 10-20-2011
Sweet I know others will chime in come morning!
I think it's a great idea. A lot of parents really don't understand what we need to pay for and how little we pocket at the end of our day.
Unregistered 04:41 AM 10-21-2011
Sweet I know others will chime in come morning!
I think it's a great idea. A lot of parents really don't understand what we need to pay for and how little we pocket at the end of our day.

I have a few that don't understand it either and they always just say "well, you can write it all off anyway".....they just don't get it...
MommieNana4 05:40 AM 10-21-2011
The parents aren't "shareholders" in your business! It would seem self-explanatory (to me) what the rate includes. Some will want more for what your rate is (naturally) and if you don't stand your ground in the beginning or are desperate for clients they will become "shareholders".

I'm learning a lot from this forum!!!
2ndFamilyDC 05:45 AM 10-21-2011
At a class I attended a few years back the provider teaching the class shared this letter, which I now give to my parents when they sign up here.

What you are paying for is responsible childcare, nutritious meals and a nurturing loving environment.

Your fees must provide my INCOME, including taxes and social security. Beyond that your fees pay childcare liability insurance, training and eductation and re-licensing fees. Food, toys, equipment and curriculum costs. Additional utility costs and all other things that your child will use and consume. It also covers upkeep and repair of my home resulting from the wear and tear of the business of caring for children along with required items I must buy and install as required by the state. Childcare is hard on a home and requires replacement of furnishings much more often than an ordinary household.

Like other self-employed workers family childcare providers do not receive the benefits many employees take for granted. These include:
Health and dental insurance, life insurance, retirement, profit sharing or pension, workers comp, flexible time off or unemployment insurance. These benefits often amount to as much as 35% of employee wages.

Unlike other forms of self-employment family childcare is very restrictive. There is not room for growth. The state dictates the size of my busines and the ages of children I can provide care for. I cannot take time off for appointments or obligations without careful planning or I will inconvenience you the parents. To protect my rights and income you will find that a guaranteed wage is part of our business agreement.

I ask that you respect MY TIME by dropping off and picking up on time. Most people have a 40 hour work week, mine is 50 hours AND UP…..not inclusive of my training, research, preparation, bookkeeping, paperwork, shopping or cleaning time.
MNmamaOf4 07:04 AM 10-21-2011
Originally Posted by 2ndFamilyDC:
At a class I attended a few years back the provider teaching the class shared this letter, which I now give to my parents when they sign up here.

What you are paying for is responsible childcare, nutritious meals and a nurturing loving environment.

Your fees must provide my INCOME, including taxes and social security. Beyond that your fees pay childcare liability insurance, training and eductation and re-licensing fees. Food, toys, equipment and curriculum costs. Additional utility costs and all other things that your child will use and consume. It also covers upkeep and repair of my home resulting from the wear and tear of the business of caring for children along with required items I must buy and install as required by the state. Childcare is hard on a home and requires replacement of furnishings much more often than an ordinary household.

Like other self-employed workers family childcare providers do not receive the benefits many employees take for granted. These include:
Health and dental insurance, life insurance, retirement, profit sharing or pension, workers comp, flexible time off or unemployment insurance. These benefits often amount to as much as 35% of employee wages.

Unlike other forms of self-employment family childcare is very restrictive. There is not room for growth. The state dictates the size of my busines and the ages of children I can provide care for. I cannot take time off for appointments or obligations without careful planning or I will inconvenience you the parents. To protect my rights and income you will find that a guaranteed wage is part of our business agreement.

I ask that you respect MY TIME by dropping off and picking up on time. Most people have a 40 hour work week, mine is 50 hours AND UP…..not inclusive of my training, research, preparation, bookkeeping, paperwork, shopping or cleaning time.
I really like this, thanks for sharing!
wdmmom 08:32 AM 10-21-2011
Are you kidding me?! They want to know what their weekly fee includes?!

It includes direct care supervision regardless of attendance and meals.

They don't need to know what you spend it on and you don't need to tell them!

Geezus! If I had to keep track of what I spent my earnings on, I'd go crazy just thinking of all the things.

Here's what comes to mind:

A mortgage (so I can keep doing business)
Utilities (so your child doesn't have to play in the dark and has a warm/cool place to play)
Water (hello...we all need to flush the toilet, wash hands and drink. And, they want/need a clean blanket/towels, etc.)

Then theres

toys
food
cleaning supplies
crafts and art supplies
holiday parties
gifts
new cooking supplies

the list goes on and on and on.

If she wants a list, tell her you used x% of your earnings last year towards supplied directly related to the daycare. I still wouldn't tell her what!

If I had a parent that questioned this type of thing, they'd be out of here. I don't need to explain myself. I have a family. Most people do this because they want to stay home, enjoy kids, and to earn a little income. Enough said!!!
daycare 03:10 PM 10-21-2011
found this article

Even when parents choose a more affordable option for child care such as family dayhome care, whether licensed or unlicensed, there is still the concern that they are paying too much. So just where does the money go and how can the caregiver justify her charges?

A Breakdown Of Expenses

Private child care providers operating a dayhome are small business owners with daily, monthly, and yearly expenses. Unlike their larger counterpart, the daycare centre, they do not have have a large intake of children, and are, by law, whether or not they are licensed, only allowed a certain number of children in their home at any given time. Hence their income is limited by this number, as well as the availability of children in their area. As a business owner, a caregiver is hoping to earn a decent income from her business once the expenses are deducted.

Taking all things into account, a dayhome operator's expenses fall into such categories as:

Accounting
Advertising and Promotion
Association Dues
Auto Expenses
Bank Charges
Equipment
Field Trip Expenses
Food
Household Supplies
Insurance
Office Supplies
Building and Equipment Repairs and Maintenance
Research and Development
Salaries
Supplies: Toys, Craft Supplies, Teaching Supplies, Books
Telephone
Training
Other Items - Birthday Gifts, Party Supplies
Business Use of Home Expenses

Even More Expenses
To break it down even further they've got: accountant's fees, flyer and advertising costs, professional dues, car, house, and liability insurance, crayons, glue, markers, paper, art paper, meals and snacks, admission to children's events, games, puzzles, books, movies, sand, upkeep of indoor and outdoor play equipment, tricycles, strollers, cribs, bedding, changing tables, CPR rectification, child care training, seasonal parties, gifts and treats, theme supplies, sanitation products for toys and all play surfaces, electricity, Kleenex by the truckload, paper towels, heat, air conditioning, water, garbage, gas, cleaning supplies for mopping the floor, vacuuming, and so on. Finally, when all the bills are paid, the caregiver can actually pay herself with what little may be left at the end of the month.

When a child leaves care, that leaves a giant hole in a caregiver's earnings, particularly if the child held a full time position. Hence the need for ongoing marketing expenses in order to maintain capacity.

Many small business owners are now protecting their business with contracts and policy manuals to ensure they receive their hard earned pay on schedule. Which also means expenses for receipt books, attendance payment schedules, printing costs.........and the expenses continue.
daycare 03:12 PM 10-21-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:

Geezus! If I had to keep track of what I spent my earnings on, I'd go crazy just thinking of all the things.

Utilities (so your child doesn't have to play in the dark and has a warm/cool place to play)
Water (hello...we all need to flush the toilet, wash hands and drink. And, they want/need a clean blanket/towels, etc.)

Then theres

toys
food
cleaning supplies
crafts and art supplies
holiday parties
gifts
new cooking supplies

If she wants a list, tell her you used x% of your earnings last year towards supplied directly related to the daycare. I still wouldn't tell her what!

If I had a parent that questioned this type of thing, they'd be out of here. I don't need to explain myself. I have a family. Most people do this because they want to stay home, enjoy kids, and to earn a little income. Enough said!!!
I dont see anything wrong with educating a parent about the details of our business. If it will help them better understand and make a better relationship between the two of you, why not?
MNmamaOf4 03:47 PM 10-21-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:

Then theres

toys
food
cleaning supplies
crafts and art supplies
holiday parties
gifts
new cooking supplies

I have a mom who thinks she should only have to pay for the days her child actually attends daycare, she doesn't think she should have to pay when he's not here. That is why I asked this question.
daycare 03:52 PM 10-21-2011
Originally Posted by MNmamaOf4:
I have a mom who thinks she should only have to pay for the days her child actually attends daycare, she doesn't think she should have to pay when he's not here. That is why I asked this question.
I wanted a list as well, becasue I had a mom (and many others) that always ask for a discount. I had to show why I could not do any more discount than the one that I already gave. As soon as I showed this mom why, she said sorry and never asked again. She even gave me a nice christmas every year after.
thatdivalady 04:55 PM 10-21-2011
I dont see anything wrong with educating a parent about the details of our business. If it will help them better understand and make a better relationship between the two of you, why not?
I agree with both sides of that story. On one hand, I had my daughter stay with a childcare provider. Now, I am opening my own center. However, perhaps my view is a little biased because I've been in social work for a long time. I never once asked my provider what she used the money for and was the only parent who paid her regardless of whether my daughter went to her or not. As far as I was concerned, I was paying her not only to watch my daughter but to hold her spot as well.

I was also overjoyed that I did not have to pay the $250 per week that the larger centers charged to watch my little baby. So maybe I just didn't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Maybe some parents just need some education as to what they are paying for but honestly, I'd probably just stick that article someone posted further up in my registration packet and keep on going!
Tags:fees, phb, policy
Reply Up