Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Holding a Spot For Free
gracepatiencelove 08:21 PM 08-21-2013
I verbally agreed to watch an infant that isn't born yet. I feel awful about it now - I cannot believe the income I'm missing out on (actually double since I have a mom with an infant and toddler and I have those spots open but not for just one, and that's just today). The unborn child wouldn't start until November.

Would it be horrible of me to ask her to pay a holding fee? I feel like I shouldn't, because this is my fault, but I also feel like I was slightly taken advantage of since they knew I was just starting. But I feel like, y'know, "ignorance of the law isn't an excuse" (meaning, just because I didn't know any better doesn't mean it's their fault).
Crazy8 08:39 PM 08-21-2013
How long ago did you make this verbal agreement? I think what i would do is say "hey mom, since we are getting closer to babys start date I have all the paperwork for you to fill out and will need it back with your deposit to continue to hold that spot".
I assume you have something about holding fees/deposits in your contract, if not make sure its in there before you give it to her!

This way its not back pedalling for a mistake you made, its a "now its time" movement to go forward with the agreement.
gracepatiencelove 08:50 PM 08-21-2013
about a month ago. I didn't think there was really a need for my services in this area (MWFSaSu) so I just assumed it'd be okay... I can only have one other infant (I have my own 8 month old) under 24 months. I'm just kicking myself in the head - I'm a single mom and I *NEED* the income.

I do have it laid out NOW but my contract needs some work, first. Right now, it says something to the effect of, "you can express interest and request to be informed if a spot you desire will soon be filled, at that point you can pay the daily fee + nonrefundable 2 week deposit for your contracted days, this is no guarantee of being informed or having a spot at the time you need it yadayada"
coolconfidentme 03:23 AM 08-22-2013
You can always say you are now required to have a holding fee for all children not in care that you are under contract with. You don't have to mention who required it. (You did, wink wink!)
Laurel 04:32 AM 08-22-2013
Originally Posted by gracepatiencelove:
I verbally agreed to watch an infant that isn't born yet. I feel awful about it now - I cannot believe the income I'm missing out on (actually double since I have a mom with an infant and toddler and I have those spots open but not for just one, and that's just today). The unborn child wouldn't start until November.

Would it be horrible of me to ask her to pay a holding fee? I feel like I shouldn't, because this is my fault, but I also feel like I was slightly taken advantage of since they knew I was just starting. But I feel like, y'know, "ignorance of the law isn't an excuse" (meaning, just because I didn't know any better doesn't mean it's their fault).
You can just change your mind. I would. There is no way I'd go months without income I needed. Just tell her you are starting out and you are sorry that you made a mistake. Explain the situation and tell her that unfortunately you won't be able to hold the spot now or you'll have to charge her as she surely can understand that this is how you support your family. I would tell her I was sorry but you just realized you can't afford to do this for her and you hope you have an opening when she needs it because you were really looking forward to watching her baby. I only hold a space for free for two weeks.

I did that somewhat recently with the sibling of a toddler I have now. I watched the SA child some during the summer and agreed to some too low price. I had watched him as a baby. Great kid but it wasn't working financially. I told them I made a mistake and it didn't pay me to watch him for that amount. I knew she had other care (a relative) but he liked to come to my house. So I doubled the price I had quoted her and all of a sudden she didn't need me anymore. I still watch his sister. They knew it was too low too. That is why they were coming! I really didn't want to watch SA'ers anyway. At first I thought I was doing it for a day or two as a favor but then he wanted to keep coming and I didn't charge enough.

I also don't have holding fees. I just collect up front for the first and last week when they start. So no one can say "It wasn't in the contract". It isn't like I don't stick to my word unless I truly made a mistake (which I did).

I've also learned it is okay to say "I'll think about it and get back to you" about anything. I agreed to too low a price on the spur of the moment. Dumb.

Laurel
Tags:holding spot - fee
Reply Up