Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Term
Kayla218 08:09 AM 04-08-2017
So I have repeatedly had to ask a family to be paid. This past Friday I asked the mother twice with no response, I then asked the father no response. When they showed up late for pick up my son asked the dad a question and he was so rude to my so. Ignored him shot him a dirty look. My son is 4. I am over there constant disrespect of my home just curious how I should handle terming them. They refuse to communicate with me, bring there kids when they feel like it could be any time from 7-10 without any notification. They never just pay me when they know tuition is due (they are federal employees) I literally have to beg/bug to be paid. They tried to bring there kids the day after they found there children with lice, when I told them they couldn't come because I had to make sure my home wasn't exposed they acted shocked. I have since added live/not policy in my contract. There family has caused me nothing but problems, caused me to lose families, and interviews. How can I term them when I hate confrontation?
debbiedoeszip 08:45 AM 04-08-2017
I'd text or email them not to bring their children back. If they have things belonging to their children still at your home then they can bring it up. Have someone there with you when they come to collect their belongings. If things get nasty, tell them they have 30 seconds to leave your property or police will be called.
Josiegirl 01:01 PM 04-08-2017
Do you have a written contract saying something about immediate termination or if you have to give them 2 week notice? I have something that tells a parent several reasons why I can terminate effective immediately and one of those reasons is non-payment, another is not following policies. I would text, email AND call them to be sure they get the message. Then I would either hand them(if they show up) or mail them a copy of a termination notice, signed and dated. They sound pretty selfish.

It's sad you've allowed them to cause loss of other dcfs.
childcaremom 01:16 PM 04-08-2017
I would do an immediate term. Refund any monies. Have a final receipt done up, gather all the belongings.

I would email to tell them that you are no longer able to care for their child. Very generic. Money owed has been refunded (if there is any). Final receipt and belongings are able to be picked up at x time/date. You wish them the best of luck. Sincerely, you.

Then I would call/text to ask them to read the email.

Pack things up.

Celebrate. Sorry you had such a disrespectful family.
nannyde 01:57 PM 04-08-2017
Your hatred of confrontation is exactly why they don't pay on time.

They know your weakness and they bank on it.

No pay No stay
Unregistered 02:38 PM 04-08-2017
Originally Posted by Kayla218:
So I have repeatedly had to ask a family to be paid. This past Friday I asked the mother twice with no response, I then asked the father no response. When they showed up late for pick up my son asked the dad a question and he was so rude to my so. Ignored him shot him a dirty look. My son is 4. I am over there constant disrespect of my home just curious how I should handle terming them. They refuse to communicate with me, bring there kids when they feel like it could be any time from 7-10 without any notification. They never just pay me when they know tuition is due (they are federal employees) I literally have to beg/bug to be paid. They tried to bring there kids the day after they found there children with lice, when I told them they couldn't come because I had to make sure my home wasn't exposed they acted shocked. I have since added live/not policy in my contract. There family has caused me nothing but problems, caused me to lose families, and interviews. How can I term them when I hate confrontation?
Call them up today.
"Hello Mr. and Mrs. blah blah blah...I wanted to make you aware that after several attempts to collect tuition payment, and your actions toward my so the other day, I am going to be terminating care effective immediately. (you can also email if you have their email). A follow-up letter is to follow, and you may schedule a time to come get your things on Monday or within 2 weeks, whichever is easiest for you. Please keep in mind, tuition for (if anything is owed $$$) is still due for care provided from ___ to ___. "

if you want to add in a 2 week notice period, because you're terming for non payment....you can do that too.
Ariana 03:41 PM 04-08-2017
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Your hatred of confrontation is exactly why they don't pay on time.

They know your weakness and they bank on it.

No pay No stay
Ugh so true unfortunately. They probably go from provider to provider trying to see who they can walk all over.

Email them and term effective immediately. Set a box with their belonging outside and let them know it will be out there. If it is not picked up by x day and time it will be mailed to them.
hellothere94 04:02 PM 04-08-2017
I would hold their things until they pay you. Tell them that you are terminating the service and that you will take legal action (if this is possible in your case) if they do not pony up the money they owe you. Someone on here, forgot who, said that they keep items that belong to deadbeat clients until they pay up. They said that they often get to keep very expensive items like bassinets because of this policy. I thought it was genius and will be stealing it for my own daycare. Give it some thought, because people will walk all over you if you let them.
Josiegirl 04:32 PM 04-08-2017
Originally Posted by hellothere94:
I would hold their things until they pay you. Tell them that you are terminating the service and that you will take legal action (if this is possible in your case) if they do not pony up the money they owe you. Someone on here, forgot who, said that they keep items that belong to deadbeat clients until they pay up. They said that they often get to keep very expensive items like bassinets because of this policy. I thought it was genius and will be stealing it for my own daycare. Give it some thought, because people will walk all over you if you let them.
I'm not sure that's legal holding their stuff hostage?
Mike 05:49 PM 04-08-2017
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I'm not sure that's legal holding their stuff hostage?
I know where I am it's not. A few years back I had a similar situation, in a different business, and was going to hold onto something that belonged to the person who owed me money. I checked first and found out I could be charged with stealing, so I had to let the person have their stuff.
LysesKids 06:44 PM 04-08-2017
Legally I don't believe you can't hold someones possessions for "ransom" regardless if they owe $$. You might want to check state laws laws before doing something like that.

I have it in my WRITTEN policies that a family has only 5 days to collect anything left here & then it becomes mine & I can do what I want with it. If they owe money then take it to court. BTW, I have never known any provider to request parents provide big stuff like bassinets or PnP's, just clothing, diapers & basics - most providers provide nap mats & other equipment
hellothere94 09:11 PM 04-08-2017
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
Legally I don't believe you can't hold someones possessions for "ransom" regardless if they owe $$. You might want to check state laws laws before doing something like that.

I have it in my WRITTEN policies that a family has only 5 days to collect anything left here & then it becomes mine & I can do what I want with it. If they owe money then take it to court. BTW, I have never known any provider to request parents provide big stuff like bassinets or PnP's, just clothing, diapers & basics - most providers provide nap mats & other equipment
Ah yeah that would make sense, I could see it only flying if its under policy. I wish I would of saved the post for reference, they said that they received a lot of expensive items from non paying clients over the years because of it.

But yeah, don't listen to me OP only do it if its in your policy
LysesKids 05:57 AM 04-09-2017
Ah yeah that would make sense, I could see it only flying if its under policy. I wish I would of saved the post for reference, they said that they received a lot of expensive items from non paying clients over the years because of it.

But yeah, don't listen to me OP only do it if its in your policy
I have worked in states where I had to give them more time to collect stuff before it's considered abandoned property so what works here still might not for the OP. She might be in a state that requires she send certified mail notice so you still need to check abandonment laws before you put it in the policies
Blackcat31 07:41 AM 04-09-2017
Welcome to the forum!

I am in MN too... you cannnot hold their belongings.
Stop all services, copy your signed contract page showing where they signed agreeing to pay $X amount on X date and send certified letter demanding payment in full by X date.

If they pay
If they don't, you can file in small claims (easy to do) or send to collections (a bit more complicated and you lose a % of what they owe you) or you can just let it go.
Reply Up