Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Urgent help - mosquito bites?
Baby Beluga 03:31 PM 04-23-2017
So I ran into DCM at the store today. She told me DCB has bites on his leg from the provider who he has been with while I was closed on maternity leave.

DCB is prone to getting bit from mosquitoes and he is prone to getting infections from them. To prevent this mom has been giving him benedryl - which is great.

Problem is...I don't think mosquitoes are out right now. When she told me she said they were on his legs (also where he gets mosquito bites). I have not seen the bites myself.

Mosquito season here begins in early March so it's not totally out of the question they could be mosquito bites. I myself haven't seen any when out and about.

My initial thought since I had not seen any mosquitoes were they could possibly be fleas. Since DB is the only one with bites (his younger brother is bite free) this provider has other children and DCM hasn't noticed anything strange...I an overreacting right?
Baby Beluga 03:33 PM 04-23-2017
ETA: Since I have not seen the bites, I don't know if he has 1, 2, 3, etc. I don't want to overreact but at the same time I don't want fleas being brought into my house!

Should I ask DCM to show me the bites at drop off tomorrow and make the decision to keep him or send him to the doc based on what I see at drop off?
Annalee 04:12 PM 04-23-2017
I would definitely check him over at drop off. Not sure what state you are in, but mosquitoes are already out in my state....
LysesKids 04:18 PM 04-23-2017
Originally Posted by Annalee:
I would definitely check him over at drop off. Not sure what state you are in, but mosquitoes are already out in my state....
Oh yeah, we have tons of mosquitoes in East TN too. I use a mosquito bait on my rain barrels otherwise they get to be horrendous & with this non ending rain the past week, I expect them to be double in number, if not more, next week. I use to have a dcg so allergic to the bites that I'm expecting baby brother to react the same way... he is only 15 months now
Mike 05:55 PM 04-23-2017
Probably nothing to worry about, but I would do a search for pix of mosquito and flea bites to see the differences, then inspect at drop off.
childcaremom 01:55 AM 04-24-2017
Is this your family from your other post?
Unregistered 05:14 AM 04-24-2017
Bed bug bites can look like mosquito bites too. My legs were attacked by bedbugs one summer at my boyfriends apartment. I thought they were mosquito bites too but nope!
284878 06:15 AM 04-24-2017
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
Oh yeah, we have tons of mosquitoes in East TN too. I use a mosquito bait on my rain barrels otherwise they get to be horrendous & with this non ending rain the past week, I expect them to be double in number, if not more, next week. I use to have a dcg so allergic to the bites that I'm expecting baby brother to react the same way... he is only 15 months now
What do you use for mosquito bait?
Blackcat31 06:46 AM 04-24-2017
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
That is my first question too....wondering if this mom is now trying to use this as the "illness" NannyDe mentioned in her post as a prediction of mom's next step.....
LysesKids 06:49 AM 04-24-2017
Originally Posted by 284878:
What do you use for mosquito bait?
I buy this off of Amazon. Mosquito Dunks
Baby Beluga 08:18 AM 04-24-2017
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
It is! And I had the same thought Nan, BC and I am sure you did too.

Ran into DCM at the store and she made it seems like the poor child's legs were eaten alive with loads of bites. This very well could have been a couple of weeks/days ago but this morning I saw a couple of bites that were mostly healed and weren't very visible. I had to look to actually see them. When we spoke she made it seems much worse then it actually is, which is why I freaked out a bit.

And yes, they do look like mosquito bites.
Tags:mosquitos, zika
Reply Up