Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Potty Training Regression...
SnowGirl 11:29 AM 02-03-2016
Hi!

DCG 2.5 was doing really well on the toilet up till a couple weeks ago. She was pooping before naps, peeing, even telling me now and again when she had to use the toilet. Mom and dad were saying she wasn't doing that well at home, but I encouraged them to just keep on putting her on the toilet.

Well, now lately, she says that pooping on the toilet hurts, or it scares her, and she refuses to go. This is right before nap. And then as soon as I put her down to sleep, BAM! Poopy diaper. She then cries and disturbs the others. Mom and dad are now telling me she poops on the toilet at home and is doing really well with potty training, and she never poops in her diaper at nap.

So, I know I'm going to tell them they need to start sending her in diapers again (she has been coming in pull-ups)...but I'm just wondering if I should also take a break from putting her on the toilet and wait a couple weeks to "reset" her so to speak. I don't want to doubt what mom and dad are saying...but I am confused as to why the sudden role reversal (regression here and progress at home).

Any tips for these types of things? Take a break? offer other forms of encouragement? I'm a newer provider, I have been doing this for only two years, and this is the first toddler I've potty trained...so seriously would love advice! Thanks!
Ariana 12:57 PM 02-03-2016
Well chances are she is also doing this at home and they are likely just putting her in diapers and don't want to tell you that. I would put her in diapers for nap and just reassure her that it's ok to go poop in her diaper. She was probably holding it and then had to have a big constipated hard poop which hurts.

I have only dealt with this twice and both times I went back to diapers for naps and told them it was ok to go in their diapers. That seemed to work for me.
SnowGirl 07:08 PM 02-03-2016
I'll definitely be sure to encourage her to poop wherever is best for her. I just don't want to push it too much. I wonder if she isn't doing so great at home and, like you said, mom and dad just don't want to admit that to me. I certainly don't want her to feel so pressured she hates the toilet!

Thank you for your advice. Tomorrow is another day!
Josiegirl 03:19 AM 02-04-2016
I am finding potty training to be such a tricky area. Between every child being so different, their need to control, their fears, and then trying to work together with a dcf to make it all come together..... It is V E R Y challenging.
I had a conversation with a dcm and told her my opinion was if you wait til they're closer to 3ish they are more ready and it takes much less time. Well, of course with HER dd that theory backfired. Dck is turning 4 in a couple months and is in control. We've been trying since age 3.

Advice? Hah! I have none. I tend to agree with the backing off for now but see no difference in diapers and pull-ups so would probably tell them they can send either one. Just keep dcm apprised of what you're doing on your end.

BC has said she potty trains in 3 days so I'm not sure what her training entails. But I'm betting it has to do with waiting until they're ready. So she might be one to ask. In fact, I'd like to know also. I have a couple that have gone back and forth for the past few months. Just when you think they've 'got it' they stop using the potty.
Reply Up