Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Rough Play
MrsD 05:39 PM 02-03-2016
DCB has been with me since he was 10 months old
daycare 05:53 PM 02-03-2016
Originally Posted by MrsD:
welcome looks like you are new.

so what is it that you are asking? and how old is the child now.

can you provide more details and I am sure that others will be able to offer some advise
Blackcat31 06:50 PM 02-03-2016
Didn't you have a similar issue last fall with another older toddler?

If so, do you still have that child in care?
daycare 06:52 PM 02-03-2016
is your memory that good or can you see something that i can't....lol
Blackcat31 07:22 PM 02-03-2016
Originally Posted by daycare:
is your memory that good or can you see something that i can't....lol
I dont know, the OPs avatar/picture is pretty so it stuck in my brain and I think it just made a pop-connection to a post by OP I read early last fall about a daycare kid but older that was rough too...

Some days though I can't remember what day it is and I honest to God have to ask my DH how old I am when someone asks so I know I don't have a good memory, at least not not on purpose.
daycare 07:27 PM 02-03-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I dont know, the OPs avatar/picture is pretty so it stuck in my brain and I think it just made a pop-connection to a post by OP I read early last fall about a daycare kid but older that was rough too...

Some days though I can't remember what day it is and I honest to God have to ask my DH how old I am when someone asks so I know I don't have a good memory, at least not not on purpose.
lol you crack me up... that is too funny.

Yeah I can't recall what I did yesterday half the time.
MrsD 09:38 PM 02-03-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Didn't you have a similar issue last fall with another older toddler?

If so, do you still have that child in care?
I didn't finish typing, got side tracked and came back to find half a sentence posted.

Yes, guess I posted about DCB before. Same kid and it hasn't gotten better.

I should find my original post. But basically mom's family pays rough with DCB allows and him to jump all over furniture. He then brings it to my house and I guess attempts to play with my son that way. And he doesn't like to mind or listen to me.

Today in the first 4 hours he was here he shoved my DS (2) tobtge groubd, hit him with a big lego dump truck by swinging it at him. A bit later he was running the same dump truck into DS's legs. DS couldn't get away from him. DS was laying on the floor and DCB proceeded to stand on DS's leg and wouldn't get off without being physically removed. He throws toys at our brand new TV. 2nd one in a year as he knocked the last one over. Climbs repeatedly on my couch to jump off or over it. I can't keep him off, he thinks it's a game when I try.

Monday he threw half his lunch on the floor, laughed when I got onto him about it and threw his fork too. He laughs often when I reprimand him. Won't sit still in timeout, that's always a battle.

I know I should let him go. His mom even text me this evening asking if I didn't want to watch him anymore. GPa picked him up and I sent a note home with all the days happenings.

Problem is, it's usually the morning that is toughest. After he gets a nap the afternoon goes by much smoother. It's always been that way. It also gets bad if he's constipated. Once he gets it out he's calmer.

Has anyone had experience with a child like this? I love the little booger and his parents and don't want to have to let him go but I'm afraid someone is going to get seriously hurt.

I work alone most days so going to the bathroom and preparing snacks and meals become an issue. My teens and my mother don't understand how I have so much patience with him not listening.

Of course, his parents sat he doesn't act like this at him, yet she just told me they have decided to cut sugar. Hmm...

So basically I need advice on discipline or should I just recommend the family look for another more active daycare? One that can stimulate him more.

Thanks!!! Off to find my previous post.
MrsD 09:53 PM 02-03-2016
Original post from 9/1/15

After reading this I can't believe it's been 4 months. Seems like a month ago that happened and it's not really better. Worse probably as he rarely minds, laughs at me and often just gnores me.

My DCB is nearly 2 but hits, pushes, shoves, tackles and holds down the others. Mainly my son who is 4 months younger. He's been in my care for over a year.

He will generally do it out of the blue. Rarely fighting over space or a toy. Though sharing has also been an issue but he whines about that. DCB just walks or more often runs up and next thing I know someone's holding their head screaming or I'm picking dcb up off of them.

He hits with hands and toys. Twice just now within 10 seconds he shoved my son and pushed a dcg. This has been going on for months and I don't know how to make it stop.

I learned that some of his extended family plays rough with him and I'm about at 5he point of telling mom that she needs to have them care for him. I can not let him out of my sight but doesn't matter cause he'll do it if I'm standing next to him. He's probably hit pushed or shoved 20 - 30 times today. Just did it again.

Last week he pushed my son down outside and he hit his face on the edge of our sidewalk. Scared me but luckily my guy was alright.

I think I'll get him down for a nap and if it continues after his mom will have to come get him. So frustrated.

And again.... Each time I make him sit and now he looks at me and automatically sits when he does it.

Thriftylady 04:12 AM 02-04-2016
My honest thought is that if it isn't getting any better and parents are not helping let him go. My theory is that just like I can't abuse a child, I can't let another child abuse a child.
MrsD 05:27 AM 02-04-2016
Yeah. I agree. I'm going to tell her this morning. I think he needs more stimulation than I can offer him. He's very hyper and very intelligent.

I feel he could benefit from a more structured curriculum and a definitely a place where he can play harder, not rougher.
Blackcat31 05:33 AM 02-04-2016
How many other kids in care do you have?

I would try some separation and maybe a few restrictions on the types of toys he has.

I would really crack down on the rules and not give him warnings or reminders but instead have some really simple but consistent follow through each and every time he had a negative behavior.

Do you know his sleep or bed time routines at home at all? Is he getting enough sleep or is he a screen kid that gets videos/computer time at bedtime?

Are his parents on board with trying to find a resolution for this situation? Are they willing to take advice and follow through at home as well?
MrsD 06:30 AM 02-04-2016
I have my DS and this DCB 5 days. Monday, Tuesday & Friday I have one more. Thursday I have a total of 4. The oldest is 6 months older than the youngest.

I have restricted toys but all become projectiles or hammers. We've tried separation but that's difficult because he ends up being where I can't see him or the others at the same time. Time outs don't work because he fights me and thinks it's a fun game.

My mom is working with me today so I'll work with her to separate him today, if needed.

GPA dropped him off so I didn't get to talk to DCM this morning. Text her though and she said he slept well which he hadn't the night before.
TXhomedaycare 07:14 AM 02-04-2016

That's not rough play. I have 6 full time boys M-F and almost all of them accept 2 are rough. My 2 sons are rough and love to wrestle but they have lost their mind if they jump on my couch. I let them be rough outside ever day and we do lots of activities to keep them busy and to wear them out. I think a meeting with mom to put together a game plan and time line for improvement is needed I have 2 boys that others thought I should give up on and they are both doing great now. Being consistent and letting boys be boys (to a certain extent ) is important. As the mother of 2 rough boys it is hard to contain their energy (my kids get little sugar and get lots of rest) but it is possible and they absolutely know how to adhere to rules and follow directions.
Reply Up