Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Snow Day but My DCKs Will Probably Still Come
lovemydaycare0912 04:29 AM 02-05-2016
Wahhhhhhhh my town's public schools are cancelled. But my parents Im sure will still bring their kids. Is it bad to say hopefully they can't make it up my hill!
Thriftylady 04:34 AM 02-05-2016
I always have more kids on snow days. My parents still have to work. Of course our schools are known to close when roads are not that bad.
Blackcat31 05:18 AM 02-05-2016
Originally Posted by lovemydaycare0912:
Wahhhhhhhh my town's public schools are cancelled. But my parents Im sure will still bring their kids. Is it bad to say hopefully they can't make it up my hill!
If your hill is icy or bad enough that emergency vehicles could not make it up, then I would cancel and close as well.

I'd use that as my reason too.

I understand that parents have to work but I refuse to be in the position of not being able to call for help and know it's coming when caring for someone else's child.
lovemydaycare0912 05:22 AM 02-05-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
If your hill is icy or bad enough that emergency vehicles could not make it up, then I would cancel and close as well.

I'd use that as my reason too.

I understand that parents have to work but I refuse to be in the position of not being able to call for help and know it's coming when caring for someone else's child.
Unfortunately its not Thaaaaat bad but it's supposed to snow until 300pm so well see. My dumbself never updated my handbook where I put late fees wouldn't be enforced on snow days.
midaycare 06:54 AM 02-05-2016
I've never closed for weather. I will send a text out to parents warning them of bad weather, but I never close for it. I don't have to drive
Miss A 07:04 AM 02-05-2016
I don't close for bad weather, but I do remind parents that I rely on my significant other to maintain our long driveway in inclement weather, as I can not run the tractor with a houseful of kiddos. My SO works at a local implement, and works until 5:00 every night. Many times, as my parents work out of town, they choose to call into work because they struggle to get to their jobs.
lovemydaycare0912 07:47 AM 02-05-2016
So far only 3 of my 6 came. I have to put a clause in my handbook that if children are not here by at least 10 30 they can't come. If I have parents trying to drop off now or later, the kids are going to mess up lunch and nap time.
auntymimi 10:19 AM 02-05-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I always have more kids on snow days. My parents still have to work. Of course our schools are known to close when roads are not that bad.
Me too. I accept school age too. The struggle is real.
MunchkinWrangler 10:26 AM 02-05-2016
It takes some pretty crazy weather for my parents to not have to go in to work. I just let everybody know that if it's too dangerous to transport or emergency vehicles can't make it then I would consider closing. I also expect everyone to pick up by my closing time. No Exceptions.
lovemydaycare0912 10:46 AM 02-05-2016
Our power went out for hour and a half. Called parents to pick up soon as it happened. Still have 1 child here. Poor mom had an accident on way to work, manager giving her hard time on leaving, but she should be here soon. I might close next time. Too much headache.
daycarediva 10:48 AM 02-05-2016
Our power went out for hour and a half. Called parents to pick up soon as it happened. Still have 1 child here. Poor mom had an accident on way to work, manager giving her hard time on leaving, but she should be here soon. I might close next time. Too much headache.
I just changed my contract to the same as the local district- no school, delay, same here. Easy enough to keep track of, too.
Blackcat31 11:02 AM 02-05-2016
Does she not have an emergency contact person to pick up when she is not able to? I would have asked her to send that person.

When I notify parents that they need to pick up in cases of emergencies or power outages, I require the child to be picked up within a specific time frame. (30 minutes/1 hour) otherwise, you just get stuck watching a child til the end of the day as you normally would because the parent was "trying" to get there but for some reason didn't/couldn't.
Unregistered 11:22 AM 02-05-2016
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I just changed my contract to the same as the local district- no school, delay, same here. Easy enough to keep track of, too.
My policy is the same. Darn school didn't close and we had over a foot of snow.
Play Care 12:18 PM 02-05-2016
I used to think "I don't have to drive, I don't care"

And then, the Valentine's Day Blizzard of 2007.

It. was. awful.

I *still* have nightmares.

So, now I close if it's supposed to be really bad.
lovemydaycare0912 01:02 PM 02-05-2016
No one had a carseat. So next time, carseat is staying here we told her. But her last day is tuesday anyway.
Tags:snow day
Reply Up