Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Would You Do?
momneedscoffee 02:52 PM 02-09-2016
So I have an almost 2 year old little girl who has recently became a very picky eater. She has a certain few foods I can get her to eat and that's it. I suspect she doesn't have the healthiest diet at home as she comes daily at 730 eating fruit snacks. Anyway, she has been refusing most of her meals ( I serve healthy food, but very kid friendly!). She used to be a GREAT eater. The problem is she wakes up from nap SUPER crabby. Like scary crabby. Crying, kicking, rolling around, etc. And then will refuse a snack unless it is something to her liking. And food is what she needs and the only thing that will calm her down. So what do I do? You get what you get and don't throw a fit? And wait out the tantrum? (Not sure if my 3pm nerves can handle that). Baby her and give in to what she wants?
Thriftylady 02:56 PM 02-09-2016
I'm in the "get what you get...." camp. This is getting more and more common, and I really think it is because of the way people eat nothing but processed foods these days.
Blackcat31 03:07 PM 02-09-2016
Originally Posted by momneedscoffee:
So I have an almost 2 year old little girl who has recently became a very picky eater. She has a certain few foods I can get her to eat and that's it. I suspect she doesn't have the healthiest diet at home as she comes daily at 730 eating fruit snacks. Anyway, she has been refusing most of her meals ( I serve healthy food, but very kid friendly!). She used to be a GREAT eater. The problem is she wakes up from nap SUPER crabby. Like scary crabby. Crying, kicking, rolling around, etc. And then will refuse a snack unless it is something to her liking. And food is what she needs and the only thing that will calm her down. So what do I do? You get what you get and don't throw a fit? And wait out the tantrum? (Not sure if my 3pm nerves can handle that). Baby her and give in to what she wants?
So if you baby her and give her what she wants...

How long will you do that?
Will it actually "fix" the issue or just provide a short term solution for a long time problem?
Will you allow other kids to use the same method of manipulation?

Me? I don't stress about eating or not eating and would not give in to her tactics.

As for having a tantrum, how would you normally manage a tantrum that has nothing to do with food?

I'd give her a space/spot she can feel how ever she chooses to feel in. HER choice.

Something that helps me not stress about food:

Restate your entire issue but replace the word food/snack with a toy (a specific toy) or anything else really. What if she was having this same issue with playing? What if she would only play with the blonde haired doll? Or would only stop having a tantrum if the TV was on? etc etc etc.....
momneedscoffee 04:22 PM 02-09-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I'm in the "get what you get...." camp. This is getting more and more common, and I really think it is because of the way people eat nothing but processed foods these days.
Yes! And we don't at my house. Maybe a box of Annies mac and cheese once in a while, or fruit snacks as TREATS, as they are the same as candy in my eyes. It's frustrating to me when I try to take care of these kids and feed them healthy food that will actually do them some gpod and they throw it on the floor or cry. My 3 year old is a little picky now but when he was her age he ate ANYTHING! So frustrating.
momneedscoffee 04:24 PM 02-09-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
So if you baby her and give her what she wants...

How long will you do that?
Will it actually "fix" the issue or just provide a short term solution for a long time problem?
Will you allow other kids to use the same method of manipulation?

Me? I don't stress about eating or not eating and would not give in to her tactics.

As for having a tantrum, how would you normally manage a tantrum that has nothing to do with food?

I'd give her a space/spot she can feel how ever she chooses to feel in. HER choice.

Something that helps me not stress about food:

Restate your entire issue but replace the word food/snack with a toy (a specific toy) or anything else really. What if she was having this same issue with playing? What if she would only play with the blonde haired doll? Or would only stop having a tantrum if the TV was on? etc etc etc.....
Yes, I agree with you. I need to stop giving in to tantrums and coddling her. I just want the screaming to stop haha...it hits a nerve!
Thriftylady 06:05 PM 02-09-2016
Yes, I agree with you. I need to stop giving in to tantrums and coddling her. I just want the screaming to stop haha...it hits a nerve!
DD was a screaming tantrum thrower. The issue is the more I gave in, the more often she had a tantrum and the longer it lasted. It was like she held me hostage. She knew I couldn't cope with the screaming. I finally had to pretend I didn't have ears. It didn't take long for it to catch on that mommy doesn't play that anymore. It was a rough few days though. You got this.
Blackcat31 06:14 PM 02-09-2016
Ear plugs.

Buy enough for others too if necessary!

I sympathize and empathize.

Ive got one that screams every time I'm out of sight.
Only 7 montns old so its understandable but still.....
The continuous crying/screaming is worse than ANY other method of slow torture.

Reply Up