Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help with Changing Policies and Being Firm with Parents
secondhomechildcare 08:35 AM 02-02-2016
Hey everyone! I am new here. I currently have a small child care center in my home and I am having a few problems with knowing how to let parents know of my rules so that they will listen. I do 24/7 childcare but I am having a problem with parents taking advantage of these hours and my prices. I currently charge 110 for full time and 25 a day for part time. This one parent seems to always drop her daughter off for 12+ hours at a time which I feel is crazy. I need a way to let parents know that these full time rates are based on 8.5 hours of care and anything after that is extra. I am not sure what is acceptable to charge for extra and how I should go about this, if I should type up a notice or what.

Side note: I started this child care thing as only 1 or 2 kids, now I have like 5 or 6 so when I started I didn't have a contract, policy or anything like that. I am just now starting to type all that up and I will be giving them to parents next week. I know I should have done it from the beginning but that just didn't happen. smh Any help, tips, advice would be wonderful ! THANKS
Thriftylady 08:50 AM 02-02-2016
Switch to contracted hours instead of operating hours. Do new contracts with all families. Find out the work hours they need care for, find out how long they need for the drive between your house and work. If you want you can add ten minutes or so on each side just in case. Put in the contract what the fee will be for arriving before their contracted time or picking up after. My fee is $5 for every 15 minutes or part thereof. Some providers do $1 per minute. Also have them initial a spot on the contract that they have read the handbook and agree to abide by it. Give them a time limit to return the signed contract, not doing so by that date will mean immediate termination.
mamamanda 09:02 AM 02-02-2016
Yes, like Thrifty said, contracted hours. If they need 12 hours of care and you're ok with providing it, then great. But they need to pay for the 12 hours of care. If you're charging $110 a week for 5 days of care and you're expecting 8 hours a day then your hourly rate is approximately $2.75/hr. If they want a 12 hour day I would charge at least $25 for the day. However, depending on your area & local costs that sounds really low to me. I charge $25 a day for up to 9 hours. I honestly wouldn't be willing to accommodate a 12 hour day personally, but if I did it would have to be worth my time so a good $30-$35 for the day.

Put everything in writing the way YOU want it as far as prices and guidelines. Then tell parents you are implementing a handbook with contract to keep things fair and professional for everyone. Insist that they sign the contract or find alternate care. Keep in mind that being available 24/7 will very likely burn you out pretty quickly. You might consider which hours you really want to work and keep the families whose hours coincide with that. Whatever you decide I wish you the best!
secondhomechildcare 09:09 AM 02-02-2016
See I didn't even know I could do something like that. Its not even all the parents I'm having a hard time with its just 1 but I know if I do it for 1 I have to do it for all. I have been sitting down lately to do contracts and policy books and things like that so I think I am going to have to do that. I definitely might have to adjust my hours because I am having parents just show up at 6am knocking on the door and I'm asleep at 6am. They are supposed to call or text 15 minutes prior to getting here so I am awake but I am finding that some are not doing that. If I had normal hours I wouldn't have to worry about that I suppose.
daycarediva 09:14 AM 02-02-2016
Are you operating legally? In my state we cannot legally operate for more than 2 shifts (so day and evening would be ok, but not overnight care).

Dear day care families,

Here is an updated list of the new policies and procedures Homeawayfromhome childcare will be implementing effective X/X/16.

-list every policy here
-and here
-make sure to add fees for extra here $5/hr works for me

attached is a new contract for you to sign. No child care will be signed after X/X/16 without an updated contract.

Thanks,
provider
Ariana 09:24 AM 02-02-2016
I would start by telling this woman that you do not provide 12 hour care and let her know she will be receiving a notice outlining your hours and prices. Apologize for the confusion and smile profusely. Then redo your contract to show fees for contracted hours. Ask her to sign.

This child should not be in care with someone for 12 hours. I wish some people didn't have children
daycarediva 09:30 AM 02-02-2016
I have a family who has two children. One in my care and one in the care of an infant/toddler provider.

The drop off at the earliest time I open, they pay $5 EXTRA per day to keep him here until I close. Mom picks up baby, then sibling here, then drops them at the YMCA's child watch. She packs a DINNER for them to eat there. They get home around 8, go straight to bed and rinse and repeat. On weekends child is with sitters and/or grandparents.
thrivingchildcarecom 10:10 AM 02-02-2016
Hey there, I can totally relate. I actually did have a contract when I started, but still wasn't really convinced that any parent would really take advantage of me. BOY WAS I WRONG!

Over years I found myself updating & amending my contract & policies with each epic incident.

My advice is to grab (like today) a really good contract & policies and get that to the parents to sign ASAP! As you find holes that are being exploited, make changes. I send out policy changes in memos with a 15-30 day grace period. Maybe think about doing an annual review of your contract & policies. Redleaf press has some excellent books, which is where I started.

As far as the time limit issue, I too have a 9 hour cap for my basic care with anything over being an additional extended day fee. If you send me a PM I would be happy to share the wording of that policy so you can type up that policy announcement, change, etc. also ASAP.

It seems hard at times to be hard line with our policies, but as you can see there is always someone who brakes the goodwill if WE allow it. I have found it is best to be as business like as possible and make few exceptions. Over time parents will challenge you less often if they see you as a business person who is running a business.
Ariana 10:17 AM 02-02-2016
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I have a family who has two children. One in my care and one in the care of an infant/toddler provider.

The drop off at the earliest time I open, they pay $5 EXTRA per day to keep him here until I close. Mom picks up baby, then sibling here, then drops them at the YMCA's child watch. She packs a DINNER for them to eat there. They get home around 8, go straight to bed and rinse and repeat. On weekends child is with sitters and/or grandparents.
Ridiculous.
MunchkinWrangler 10:30 AM 02-02-2016
Originally Posted by secondhomechildcare:
Hey everyone! I am new here. I currently have a small child care center in my home and I am having a few problems with knowing how to let parents know of my rules so that they will listen. I do 24/7 childcare but I am having a problem with parents taking advantage of these hours and my prices. I currently charge 110 for full time and 25 a day for part time. This one parent seems to always drop her daughter off for 12+ hours at a time which I feel is crazy. I need a way to let parents know that these full time rates are based on 8.5 hours of care and anything after that is extra. I am not sure what is acceptable to charge for extra and how I should go about this, if I should type up a notice or what.

Side note: I started this child care thing as only 1 or 2 kids, now I have like 5 or 6 so when I started I didn't have a contract, policy or anything like that. I am just now starting to type all that up and I will be giving them to parents next week. I know I should have done it from the beginning but that just didn't happen. smh Any help, tips, advice would be wonderful ! THANKS
First, I would never let anyone keep their child in my care longer than 10 hours in a 24 hour period. Ever. The max should be 10 anymore than that is not healthy for the child. Second, your day rate should be higher than your weekly rate. This is just good business. Be prepared to have to replace some families. Sometimes when you change the rules that can make people snippy but if you have to replace make your policies clear.

It can be hard to enforce rules, we all want to be nice to our families. But remember, they are not your friends. You are a business owner. Thinking about the strain on you personally usually helps with enforcing policies.
Thriftylady 10:34 AM 02-02-2016
Originally Posted by secondhomechildcare:
See I didn't even know I could do something like that. Its not even all the parents I'm having a hard time with its just 1 but I know if I do it for 1 I have to do it for all. I have been sitting down lately to do contracts and policy books and things like that so I think I am going to have to do that. I definitely might have to adjust my hours because I am having parents just show up at 6am knocking on the door and I'm asleep at 6am. They are supposed to call or text 15 minutes prior to getting here so I am awake but I am finding that some are not doing that. If I had normal hours I wouldn't have to worry about that I suppose.
Yes, do it for all the families. Now you can make exceptions at times if you want for some. The thing is you will run into the issue again down the road. It is easier to get everyone on the same policies and contracts for the most part or you will have issues keeping track. And sometimes the best families can throw us a wrench sometimes. Trust me when I started the first time (12 years ago), I did it like you started. I do it the other way now and will never go back!
LindseyA 03:17 PM 02-02-2016
I agree with contracted hours and contracts for all. I know it's easier said than done, but please try not to worry about how the families will react to your changes. Your business, your rules. The parents will always do what's best for their families (sometimes leaving daycare providers high and dry). And you should always do what's best for you and your own family. I just made a change to my own policies - - giving myself the last Friday of every other month off for doctors, dentists, eyes, etc for me and my family. So six extra days a year, and was a little nervous about announcing this is how it will be. But, taking care of appts and knowing exactly when to schedule the next ones is so nice!! Well worth the little bit of stress it took to tell everyone.
MunchkinWrangler 07:11 PM 02-03-2016
Originally Posted by LindseyA:
I agree with contracted hours and contracts for all. I know it's easier said than done, but please try not to worry about how the families will react to your changes. Your business, your rules. The parents will always do what's best for their families (sometimes leaving daycare providers high and dry). And you should always do what's best for you and your own family. I just made a change to my own policies - - giving myself the last Friday of every other month off for doctors, dentists, eyes, etc for me and my family. So six extra days a year, and was a little nervous about announcing this is how it will be. But, taking care of appts and knowing exactly when to schedule the next ones is so nice!! Well worth the little bit of stress it took to tell everyone.
I like that idea! I'm going to use it! I really need to find balance and I'm sitting here wondering how I'm going to get all this stuff done. Awesome policy!
daycare 07:25 PM 02-03-2016
Originally Posted by daycarediva:

wait what that's not normal...lol

what the heck, I am trying not to judge here, but I just can't help myself. why did you even have kids. and you have 2 of them..

ugh so sad
Reply Up