Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Child Observations
Josiegirl 03:16 AM 02-07-2016
How do you perform them? How often? Do you only observe 1 dck at a time or write about each one as they are interacting in a group? Do you Keep them all in an ongoing observation journal or does each child have a journal of their own? What kinds of things do you write down?

I have to admit I started doing observations quite a long time ago and would sit and observe/write while they were doing things such as playing in the water table, etc., as a group. But then I stopped. It seemed silly and fruitless and kids change so quickly that by the time the week was over they were interacting differently, YKWIM.

I need a little guidance for doing this because they seem to place so much emphasis on it. I know there are definitely some circumstances where you have to 'see' what's going on so you can get to the root of behaviors, but what else do you look for?

I'm thinking of signing up for the online training through carecourse.com, has anyone done the observation training?

Thanks for any help!!
CalCare 07:02 AM 02-07-2016
I'm taking observation and assessment this semester. It's my last class (along with this English class I'm taking) and then I'll have my AS. Yay. could you take a city college class online? Then you could have something applicable to a degree, if you did that instead of the carecourses. In this class they talk about having a plan before observing. Have the area you are going to focus on (fine motor or whatever), refresh on a few points to expect for that age. That way you will definitely remember to notice the little things on that area. You would make a packet for each child divided into the developmental areas, have the ages and stages stuff at the front of each section (good ones are on pbs.com), then do observations for each area for each child. When i used observation in the past, i use it to plan curriculum that is 1-what they are interested it and 2- what they are needing developmentally. So maybe you say i'm going to look at johnny's fine motor (obviously choose an activity that will show it well), Johnny is observed at the art table holding crayons in a fist, everything he is making is referred to as dinosaurs. He has a hard time with the crayons, gets frustrated, he is 4. At his age you read he should be able to do such and such so you can then write an activity for fine motor involving dinosaurs. I know you've been doing this for a lot longer than I have, so maybe that's what you do already. That's just the sort of ways we are told to do and use observations. Have a plan, know what you should be seeing, observe for a good chunk of time, use it to plan activities that will engage and promote development. Obviously you also use observations to track progress, notice problems, solve problems, etc.
Ariana 09:25 AM 02-07-2016
I have started taking videos of each individual child and then re-watching and noting anything of interest. Videos are sooo much easier than written observations.
Jazzii 02:59 PM 02-07-2016
We try to do daily observations. One of the biggest things with children is constant documentation of everything. In general we use our observation as a general observation throughout the morning. So one would sound something like this

Today, Timmy came in and seemed to be in a good mood. He participated during circle time and followed directions during art. However, before snack he did take something away from another child, when approached he began to cry and one of the staff members removed him from the situation to regain his composure. After 2 minutes Timmy was ready to join the group. He apologized when prompted and then had a good rest of the morning.

Of course, we also put specific comments and observations- things that don't necessarily go on an incident report but thing to watch for in the event of further steps needing to be taken:

Today at appx 11:00 Timmy was asked several times to clean up his toys. He stated "no" several times and took out more toys to play with. The staff member involved went over, cleaned up the toys and moved Timmy to a spot to relax. Timmy began flailing his body and relaxed only when we used a weighted blanket to calm him down

Finally, we also write down anything that strikes us as unusual like what the child said,

Today while doing a lesson on families, Timmy told a staff member that he saw his sister doing xyz

NEVER EVER use anyone (including yourself) names in the observation; only the child.
CalCare 03:30 PM 02-07-2016
You will want to be completely objective to get accurate information. If you assume moods or intentions, you can skew what you are recording even if you don't mean to. Just state facts. 'He walked in. He reached for the toy with left hand.'
Josiegirl 02:02 AM 02-08-2016
Thanks everybody!
How do you find time to do all this and everything else too? I document if there are major issues or something seems off but just observing and writing every movement down.....it seems silly to me. Do you set aside a certain amount of time, such as during free play? Is it another one of those things to keep us 'busy' because the state says to do this? I'm genuinely curious because I guess if I saw a purpose to it(other than issues, problems, developing routines/curriculum geared towards interests) than I'd feel more inclined to make it a priority. Or maybe it's me and making too much of it.
Ariana 07:58 AM 02-08-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Thanks everybody!
How do you find time to do all this and everything else too? I document if there are major issues or something seems off but just observing and writing every movement down.....it seems silly to me. Do you set aside a certain amount of time, such as during free play? Is it another one of those things to keep us 'busy' because the state says to do this? I'm genuinely curious because I guess if I saw a purpose to it(other than issues, problems, developing routines/curriculum geared towards interests) than I'd feel more inclined to make it a priority. Or maybe it's me and making too much of it.
This is why I use video. I am supervising anyway so adding a video recorder to it is no big deal. I personally don't have to do observations but I do like doing it to keep up with my ECE skills. I use time after the daycare is closed to watch and record.
Jazzii 08:10 AM 02-08-2016
Thanks everybody!
I work in a group fmaily home so there are always 2-3 of us in a room at once. After we clean up put everyone down for nap, we regroup as a whole and talk about the kids, sometimes the observations are super long other times a short paragraph.

With more than one set of eyes on site its easy to split up. For example, if I am doing paperwork during circle time it's easy for me to see what the kids are doing without taking time away from my main focus (calendar, days of the week etc) when we do our small group activity, we always model and we let the kids go at it and watch how the handle glue, cotton balls, etc.
Cat Herder 07:11 AM 02-09-2016
Thanks everybody!
How do you find time to do all this and everything else too?
Truthfully, you have to give something else up. For me it was creativity and joy.

Mounds of paperwork (that parents toss in the trash) to prove to intrusive evaluators that you are doing your job (the one you created that they do not pay for). They ignore the fact that more people pencil whip these than actually use the information correctly. If you look perfect on paper, well then, you must be. It net's them their bonus check, so all is good.

Don't misunderstand me, taking the time to REALLY notice a child's strengths, needs, escalations, interests and motivations are a HUGE part of supporting natural development. It allows for a better suited curriculum designed for each individual child.

However, the time consuming documentation and mandatory production of evidence to prove your worth (***to people you do not work for***) is absurd.

I don't really have the words for how much this issue bothers me, they escape me right now.
Blackcat31 07:21 AM 02-09-2016
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Truthfully, you have to give something else up. For me it was creativity and joy.

Mounds of paperwork (that parents toss in the trash) to prove to intrusive evaluators that you are doing your job (the one you created that they do not pay for). They ignore the fact that more people pencil whip these than actually use the information correctly. If you look perfect on paper, well then, you must be. It net's them their bonus check, so all is good.

Don't misunderstand me, taking the time to REALLY notice a child's strengths, needs, escalations, interests and motivations are a HUGE part of supporting natural development. It allows for a better suited curriculum designed for each individual child.

However, the time consuming documentation and mandatory production of evidence to prove your worth (***to people you do not work for***) is absurd.

I don't really have the words for how much this issue bothers me, they escape me right now.
The truest words I've read in a long time.
Annalee 07:31 AM 02-09-2016
Originally Posted by blackcat31:
the truest words i've read in a long time.
amen, amen and amen!!!!!!!
Play Care 07:45 AM 02-09-2016

Unregistered 08:48 AM 02-09-2016
This is so perfectly said. Wish it could be a sticky or something. It says what I have been feeling, and struggling to find the words to state it.
THIS IS WHAT'S WRONG WITH QRIS.

Unregistered 01:25 PM 02-09-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
This is so perfectly said. Wish it could be a sticky or something. It says what I have been feeling, and struggling to find the words to state it.
THIS IS WHAT'S WRONG WITH QRIS.
Yep! And this is why I have zero interest!
Reply Up