Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Who Has a Right to Financial Information?
knoxmomof2 12:07 PM 02-08-2016
Hi ladies! I am license exempt since I only care for 4 children in my home. I have a child with split parents, Dad alone pays for childcare- parents have a visitation schedule. I gave Dad the tax info this year as usual, now Mom is asking for it as well "for her records". Since I don't have an overseer to contact, and I'm not getting a good search match for my query on Google, I'm wondering : what are typical policies on this? They were together last year, and my other split parents pay for their days individually so this is new for me.

Thanks in advance!
Cat Herder 12:12 PM 02-08-2016
Mom is not entitled to the statements that Dad paid.

Give her a zero paid statement if she continues to push. Sounds like the old "first to file" tax trick. Not cool.
Ariana 12:15 PM 02-08-2016
In the past I have given two tax receipts split in half. This was the instructions from the parents though.

I would tell the mom to speak with the dad about getting a copy. Tell her you only give one tax receipt to the person that pays.
Blackcat31 12:20 PM 02-08-2016
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Mom is not entitled to the statements that Dad paid.

Give her a zero paid statement if she continues to push. Sounds like the old "first to file" tax trick. Not cool.

I provide tax info to those that PAY me.
I would not provide info to a person that does not pay me, even if it's the other parent.
knoxmomof2 12:31 PM 02-08-2016
Thanks for the quick replies. I really appreciate it! ☺️ Just didn't want to do the wrong thing.
Leigh 01:19 PM 02-08-2016
Make a copy and give it to Dad, telling Mom that you provide info only to the person making payment or the one who signed the contract, and that she can pick up her copy from him.
Thriftylady 01:28 PM 02-08-2016
When parents are split up, I require that one parent make all the payments to me. I will give the info to that person. It is then up to the parents to work it out between then. Their relationship is their issue not mine.
sharlan 01:39 PM 02-08-2016
I had this issue, either last year or the year before.

I only give my tax info to the parent who pays. In my case only the dcd pays. Mom does not pay so I only provide a W-10 to the dcd.

Dcm called while getting her taxes done and asked for the info "since dcd can't claim it, I'm going to". I told her that I would not provide her with the info since she did not pay. Her tax preparer told her that was ok, they would just tell the IRS that I refused to provide the info. (I could hear him in the background.)

I told her that if she claimed it and I got fined for not providing the info, that I would notify the IRS that she fraudulently claimed childcare that she did not pay.
Ariana 01:48 PM 02-08-2016
I am not 100% sure how it all works but even if dad is paying all of the daycare fees or if there is an appearance that he is she still might be paying indirectly. for example if his payments to her for spousal or child support are lessened because he is paying for childcare than she might be able to claim it IF he makes too much to claim it. In my opinion it is not necessarily fraud if the parent making less money claims the expense since it has been deducted from her spousal support. In the case of my divorced parents this is why I gave them each a receipt for 50% of payments. This way they were both able to claim a portion of the daycare paid. Spousal and child support were all calculated using daycare expenses.
Thriftylady 02:02 PM 02-08-2016
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I am not 100% sure how it all works but even if dad is paying all of the daycare fees or if there is an appearance that he is she still might be paying indirectly. for example if his payments to her for spousal or child support are lessened because he is paying for childcare than she might be able to claim it IF he makes too much to claim it. In my opinion it is not necessarily fraud if the parent making less money claims the expense since it has been deducted from her spousal support. In the case of my divorced parents this is why I gave them each a receipt for 50% of payments. This way they were both able to claim a portion of the daycare paid. Spousal and child support were all calculated using daycare expenses.
See though that isn't the correct way to do it either. It depends a lot on what the divorce decree says. Every one of them says something different. Some say that the deduction for the kiddo is every other year for each parent. That is why I have one parent pay me, give that parent the receipt and have the parents deal with it. Because they are the ones bound by whatever the divorce and custody papers say. Giving them each one for half *could* be breaking the law or violating a court order without you knowing it.
Cat Herder 02:02 PM 02-08-2016
I gave them each a receipt for 50% of payments. This way they were both able to claim a portion of the daycare paid. Spousal and child support were all calculated using daycare expenses.
The courts will have one sign over a 8332 to the other according to their consent order. We don't have to be involved in it.

If both file, the IRS will make them prove who get's the deduction. We don't have to be involved in it.

Only contracting with one parent for payments is the simplest way to function; unless you (everyone you, not Ariana you) just like to be involved in it.
knoxmomof2 06:31 PM 02-08-2016
The courts will have one sign over a 8332 to the other according to their consent order. We don't have to be involved in it.

If both file, the IRS will make them prove who get's the deduction. We don't have to be involved in it.

Only contracting with one parent for payments is the simplest way to function; unless you (everyone you, not Ariana you) just like to be involved in it.
Bahaha.. Noooooo!
Ariana 07:36 PM 02-08-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
See though that isn't the correct way to do it either. It depends a lot on what the divorce decree says. Every one of them says something different. Some say that the deduction for the kiddo is every other year for each parent. That is why I have one parent pay me, give that parent the receipt and have the parents deal with it. Because they are the ones bound by whatever the divorce and custody papers say. Giving them each one for half *could* be breaking the law or violating a court order without you knowing it.
I did what they asked me to do. Mom was paying me but asked me to divide the receipt so they both could claim a portion. I gave both receipts to her and that is that. I am not privy to their agreements and if I broke a law I am well within my rights to say I didn't know!
Thriftylady 05:02 AM 02-09-2016
I did what they asked me to do. Mom was paying me but asked me to divide the receipt so they both could claim a portion. I gave both receipts to her and that is that. I am not privy to their agreements and if I broke a law I am well within my rights to say I didn't know!
Well I wouldn't do it again. I would issue one. They can't both legally claim it as far as I know. The one claiming the child has the right to claim the daycare expenses. Hopefully they don't both get audited and drag your name into it so that you do also.
Blackcat31 05:04 AM 02-09-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Well I wouldn't do it again. I would issue one. They can't both legally claim it as far as I know. The one claiming the child has the right to claim the daycare expenses. Hopefully they don't both get audited and drag your name into it so that you do also.
Ariana is in Canada if that makes a difference.

I don't know that their tax laws are similar or not.
Thriftylady 05:05 AM 02-09-2016
Oh I didn't catch that she was in Canada! Well that could change things. I know nothing about their tax laws.
Ariana 05:41 AM 02-09-2016
Yes true I am in Canada and it does work a bit differently I *think*. I think here it is all dependent on income. The spouse with the higher income can claim but if they make too much they can transfer it to the lower income spouse. I am not sure if this still works in divorced situations or what though. Either way this happened a few years ago and luckily none of my current parents are divorced....yet!
midaycare 08:47 AM 02-09-2016
The divorce decree often states who gets to claim it, but I would give it only to the parent to paid, and let the parents work it out. For example, even though DH paid for DSD, BM could claim daycare expenses. But...who wants to get involved in all that?
Blackcat31 01:46 PM 02-09-2016
Yes true I am in Canada and it does work a bit differently I *think*. I think here it is all dependent on income. The spouse with the higher income can claim but if they make too much they can transfer it to the lower income spouse. I am not sure if this still works in divorced situations or what though. Either way this happened a few years ago and luckily none of my current parents are divorced....yet!
Your laws are weird...

It says you are suppose to give a receipt for EACH child? So if a family has 3 kids, you have to separate it out?

That's rough.

Curious, but are you required by law to issue end of the year statements of total amount paid or do you just have to issue your tax id # and no tally if you don't want to?

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tp...rcpts-eng.html
knoxmomof2 08:32 AM 02-12-2016
Me again. She's claiming she waived child support in lieu of him paying childcare and they alternate years on claiming. I realize that the details are not my concern, but I'm trying to cover my butt here either way. I asked DCD if he cared whether or not she has them (because that would be the easiest route here) and he doesn't want her to.

She's playing dumb that her asking me for HIS account records isn't wrong. Before talking to him, I offered to contact him for her and she just asked why it was an issue. When I mentioned how I needed to make sure I wasn't putting myself in a situation for legal issues or fines, it was like I had three heads... I can't seem to find any factual backing/ proof/ law that says that it's wrong for me to do so, but it's common sense. Is there any way I would be required to provide this to her?

I know we're not required to provide anything, but since this document exists... Any thoughts? I just want to do the right thing here and know what to do in future cases.
mommyneedsadayoff 08:53 AM 02-12-2016
Originally Posted by knoxmomof2:
Me again. She's claiming she waived child support in lieu of him paying childcare and they alternate years on claiming. I realize that the details are not my concern, but I'm trying to cover my butt here either way. I asked DCD if he cared whether or not she has them (because that would be the easiest route here) and he doesn't want her to.

She's playing dumb that her asking me for HIS account records isn't wrong. Before talking to him, I offered to contact him for her and she just asked why it was an issue. When I mentioned how I needed to make sure I wasn't putting myself in a situation for legal issues or fines, it was like I had three heads... I can't seem to find any factual backing/ proof/ law that says that it's wrong for me to do so, but it's common sense. Is there any way I would be required to provide this to her?

I know we're not required to provide anything, but since this document exists... Any thoughts? I just want to do the right thing here and know what to do in future cases.
Just tell her that her agreement on claiming is between her and dad, so she needs to get it from him. Just say that you have your own policy on sharing financial information, that being, you don't share it with anyone but the person who pays.
Blackcat31 08:56 AM 02-12-2016

I would just stay out of it.

You gave the payment info to the person who paid you.

You did your part. End of story.

If she has documentation stating they share who claims when and why etc etc...SHE needs to take it up with HIM.

You play no further role in this.

SHE needs to enforce her own document or take it to the courts that will.

Again, YOU play NO role in that. You are NOT obligated or required to provider ANYTHING to her in regards to HIS financial payments. Even if she shows you the paperwork, its not meant for YOU to decipher or uphold. That is what her lawyer will do for her.

If she continues to ask, I would simply continue to reply that you gave each parent THEIR payment history/forms etc (W10) and that you are not part of the continuing issue SHE is having.
Cat Herder 09:11 AM 02-12-2016
"I am sorry. My hands are tied. You will need to get the receipt from Dad, yourself, if you want it. It will be the exact same next year, unless you are the one to pay. Let me know what the two of you work out. Also, I need you to stop putting me in the middle of this. It has nothing to do with me and is causing conflict. Stop as of today. Thanks."
Cat Herder 09:16 AM 02-12-2016
If you want to be **helpful** google "form 8332 pdf", print a couple for her, highlight the instructions and wish her good luck.
knoxmomof2 10:05 AM 02-12-2016
Once again, thanks Ladies. Now I know 1 more thing to address with future split couples.
knoxmomof2 10:10 AM 02-12-2016
If you want to be **helpful** google "form 8332 pdf", print a couple for her, highlight the instructions and wish her good luck.
I like your style
Blackcat31 01:29 PM 02-12-2016
I like your style
Me too!

Her posts, viewpoint, interpretation of things and her sense of humor sometimes "make my day!"

...and make me feel a little less different.
knoxmomof2 06:07 PM 02-12-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Me too!

Her posts, viewpoint, interpretation of things and her sense of humor sometimes "make my day!"

...and make me feel a little less different.
Right!
lovemydaycare0912 03:47 PM 02-15-2016
This is all good information. Thanks for sharing.
Renae82 06:26 PM 02-16-2016

Sounds like you already have an answer here but I agree with the majority here. I only give a receipt to the person who handed me the money. I had a similar issue, dad paid me sometimes and mom paid me sometimes. They each got a receipt for what they gave me. Mom wanted a receipt for all of it. I told her that was between them and she was welcome to ask him for his and claim it if that's what they agreed on. I also told her from then on I would only accept payment from her as I was contracted with her.
Tags:divorced parents
Reply Up