Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is A One Month Deposit Too Much?
midaycare 01:08 PM 02-09-2016
I'm interviewing tonight for an infant space for August. I only take one infant at a time...I don't forsee an opening until then, but a family could mess me up if I accept them and they go elsewhere. Thoughts?
MarinaVanessa 01:24 PM 02-09-2016
I personally don't hold spots without a signed contract with a start date, a 2 week termination deposit and a holding fee. I charge the fee weekly in advance just like tuition and if they miss even one payment or are late they could lose the spot. The fee is just to save the spot so there are no refunds. If they do miss a payment I do refund the 2 week deposit but nothing else, I keep whatever they paid to hold the spot. My fee is $50 a week but I usually fill their spot temporarily with drop-in clients until they need their spot so this usually off-sets it for me.
Thriftylady 02:05 PM 02-09-2016
This is tough. I normally wouldn't charge a fee if I don't actually have a spot open. I would charge the deposit and such non-refundable. But you aren't worried about holding the spot, you are more worried about holding the family so I am not sure how I would deal with that.
biglou 05:48 PM 02-09-2016
Well-It's your business, so it's your rules.

If you will hold a spot for a family, that will not start for several months, you can do any of the following:

- collect a single large non-refundable deposit that is yours regardless if they start or not and wait for them to start.

- after getting the deposit above, keep advertising the spot.

or

- if you find a new family and they are willing to start immediately or before the first family with the deposit, choose them and return the deposit to the first family as you have the right to enroll families ready, willing and able to start immediately.

or

- try to look for part-time care parents until the first family starts (this is not what I would do at my place, but I have to assume different communities, big and small, need to have this option).

Make sure your agreement with any family on hold clearly states you have the right to fill any vacancies prior to any future enrollment start dates unless the parents become active enrolled parents and are paying weekly.

if you fill up and need to start a waiting list, always let families come and look, you never know when an opening will come... Create a simple one page form called a waiting list agreement. Get the serious candidates to fill it out and collect a fee for it. It will help separate the serious families from the fake ones! Let the parents know the fee will be applied toward their registration fee when they enroll, so they feel the money will not be wasted. Again, the goal here is to build a client list.

Big Lou
Reply Up