Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Removing Diaper
mamamanda 06:38 AM 02-11-2016
Dcg newly 2 is "potty training" at home. I guess she pees on the potty 3 times a day for her parents, but as I've explained to them peeing at regular intervals is a lot different than being able to tell them when she has to pee and get to the potty on time. When she can do that, I will be happy to really work with her here. Until then, I'm happy to sit her on the potty when she asks, but I'm not taking her at regular intervals.

Well, last Friday she unzipped her sleeper, took off her diaper, peed in my living room floor, and then threw her hands in the air yelling excitedly "I peed in my pants!" Her tone was like she seriously thought I would be excited about that. I was not. We talked in detail. I explained that she is not to take her diaper off. If she needs to potty she can tell me and I will take her to the bathroom. Then today, she was obviously pooping. I asked her if she was and she said, "Yes." Since she was already mid poop I didn't take her to the potty, but let her finish in her diaper. (I could already smell that she had gone at this point.) She starts to unzip her sleeper again and reaches for the tab on her diaper. I said in a very firm voice, "Do not take your diaper off. Leave it alone. I'm going to get you a clean diaper and then I will change you." I made sure she was making eye contact with me and again said, "Just wait and I will do it." I turned around to get her diaper and wipes and turned back around to her and of course, she had the diaper off with poop smeared down both legs and in her sleeper and it of course got all over the place as I'm trying to clean her up.

How in the world do you deal with this type of thing? I thought of not allowing her to wear sleepers anymore, but she can pull her regular pants down now as well. And she is obsessed with diapers in general. I was storing diapers in individual totes in a cabinet by the front door so parents had easy access when assessing their daycare supplies. I've had to move them b/c she kept pulling out diapers to put on the baby dolls. I don't like how I feel b/c I'm becoming very frustrated with her. It has been 3 months of one issue after another. Every time I solve one issue another creeps up. Her parents are friends outside of daycare and neighbors besides so terming would be extremely awkward. Sometimes I feel like I'm just working in circles with her. uggh
MunchkinWrangler 07:06 AM 02-11-2016
Why is she 2 and in a sleeper at your house? She should be in regular clothes.
I have no advice but I'd be pretty peeved at this. I would ask Mom and Dad, maybe they're letting her change herself but sometimes kids just do that anyway just because they know how.
I'm interested in seeing what others have to say about this.
Cat Herder 07:23 AM 02-11-2016
Turn the sleepers backwards. Zipper in back.

If in regular clothes, turn diaper backwards (tabs in back) and cover with onesie.
Ariana 07:46 AM 02-11-2016
Turn the diaper around backwards and you can also use diaper shirts under her regular clothes.

It's pretty clear she has no clue what is going on.
Unregistered 09:45 AM 02-11-2016
Can you put a ring of tape around the diaper covering the tabs, all the way around?
Mad_Pistachio 09:52 AM 02-11-2016
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Turn the sleepers backwards. Zipper in back.
this
my daughter got into a habit of taking off her PJ's and diaper in the middle of the night. I cut the footies off of PJ's (2 or 3, not all of them) and put them on backwards with socks: it was winter. later, we got the footless PJ's from Children's Place, but she stopped doing it pretty soon.

manufacturers should really start making PJ's that zip on the back more often...
Blackcat31 10:10 AM 02-11-2016
If the child is ready to be toilet trained, one would think she would be old enough to understand AND comply with instructions to not remove her diaper.
mamamanda 10:18 AM 02-11-2016
Thanks everyone. I will try putting the diapers on backward and see if that helps. All of her sleepers have feet. Otherwise I really like the idea of turning those backward too. I've never minded that they bring her in her sleeper b/c they do change her diaper first and she has always been an early drop off so I feel bad for b/c she's always tired when she gets here. However, I'm not at all ok with her taking them off and pottying on my floor. That's where I draw the line. The onesie is a good idea too.
mommyneedsadayoff 10:26 AM 02-11-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
If the child is ready to be toilet trained, one would think she would be old enough to understand AND comply with instructions to not remove her diaper.
I agree. She is not potty trained. Period. Diapers on, backward sleeper or onsie and very firm if she tries to take diaper off.
nannyde 10:59 AM 02-11-2016
https://youtu.be/_riVVKms31I

Backwards Footed jammy trick
mamamanda 05:29 AM 02-12-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Yes I agree. I think the issue for her parents is that she does understand that she is pooping and peeing when she does it so they feel she is ready. She will tell you she's pottying as she goes in her diaper, but never tells you before. I've shared with them that there are many other indicators of readiness though. She is extremely defiant at this point and just getting her through the basics of the day is a genuine challenge. It seems unfair to her, myself, and the other children alike to try to make her use the potty when she flat out refuses to do it. Trips to the potty involve her jumping up off the potty and then sitting again repeatedly. If my back is turned for a second she is ripping up toilet paper. She will stand up and pee on the floor b/c she thinks its funny.
So obviously, I don't see her as being ready b/c there is an emotional/behavioral readiness in addition to just understanding that I have to potty. I don't understand why parents don't get that. So much time is spent on timing trips to the potty, but no one seems to care about the other elements that go along with it...behavior, proper hand washing, caring for property, following directions, etc.
Sorry. Don't mean to rant...this is just really a pet peeve of mine.
mamamanda 05:30 AM 02-12-2016
Originally Posted by nannyde:
https://youtu.be/_riVVKms31I

Backwards Footed jammy trick
Love this! I didn't realize you had videos available. I just watched several of them. Thank you for sharing!
Ariana 06:38 AM 02-12-2016
Originally Posted by mamamanda:
Yes I agree. I think the issue for her parents is that she does understand that she is pooping and peeing when she does it so they feel she is ready. She will tell you she's pottying as she goes in her diaper, but never tells you before. I've shared with them that there are many other indicators of readiness though. She is extremely defiant at this point and just getting her through the basics of the day is a genuine challenge. It seems unfair to her, myself, and the other children alike to try to make her use the potty when she flat out refuses to do it. Trips to the potty involve her jumping up off the potty and then sitting again repeatedly. If my back is turned for a second she is ripping up toilet paper. She will stand up and pee on the floor b/c she thinks its funny.
So obviously, I don't see her as being ready b/c there is an emotional/behavioral readiness in addition to just understanding that I have to potty. I don't understand why parents don't get that. So much time is spent on timing trips to the potty, but no one seems to care about the other elements that go along with it...behavior, proper hand washing, caring for property, following directions, etc.
Sorry. Don't mean to rant...this is just really a pet peeve of mine.
I would be refusing to potty train this child at my house. I would outline all of the things the child is doing and let mom know that she is going to be in diapers at your house and no more going to the potty. If they choose to continue at home (where they can give her undivided attention and give in to every little whim) then fine but it is not happening at your house. I would also ask if she is removing her diaper at home and tell them to nip that in the bud as it is disrupting your routine and is a health hazard for other kids in care.
Tags:diaper digger
Reply Up