Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Kind Of A Silly Question, But....
Countrygal 03:16 PM 05-14-2012
How do you remember to call the food lady when you are not going to be home for a meal??? I keep forgetting!

For example, today I had to get my car fixed so we went from there on a picnic lunch to a playground. We had a blast, but I forgot to call.....

So often our ft's are last minute due to working around having few enough kids to transport and/or the weather. So if a child calls in sick, the rest usually end up going on a field trip! It's great, but we're supposed to call by 7am. It is very frustrating for me to constantly forget to call!

How DO you remember to do this? Any tried and true ideas?
daycare 03:22 PM 05-14-2012
Originally Posted by Countrygal:
How do you remember to call the food lady when you are not going to be home for a meal??? I keep forgetting!

For example, today I had to get my car fixed so we went from there on a picnic lunch to a playground. We had a blast, but I forgot to call.....

So often our ft's are last minute due to working around having few enough kids to transport and/or the weather. So if a child calls in sick, the rest usually end up going on a field trip! It's great, but we're supposed to call by 7am. It is very frustrating for me to constantly forget to call!

How DO you remember to do this? Any tried and true ideas?
I set my calendar at the beginning of the month. I put down days that I will be off site or closed due to field trips. I also set my phone up with a reminder that I need to call her.
Childminder 04:31 PM 05-14-2012
I don't. I rarely am off site but always forget.
sharlan 04:44 PM 05-14-2012
That is one reason I won't join a food program. I do a lot of spontaneous outings and don't want to be bothered with having to call someone.
Kim 05:33 PM 05-14-2012
Thankfully I don't travel offsite but if I'm going to be closed I let her know in the beginning of the month when I send in the old month and write up the paperwork for the new month. I make it part of the paperwork routine so I don't forget.
MyAngels 06:22 PM 05-14-2012
I don't leave very often, so it's not a problem for me, but my food person mentioned last time that they have an app that you can get for your smart phone that allows you to notify them if you are away from home. I think it's called kidstogo, or kids2go, something like that.
CheekyChick 06:48 AM 05-15-2012
You have to let them know? That's crazy!!! I am on the food program and as far as I know, we're not required to tell them if we are off site. Not that that's an issue since we never leave.
Country Kids 07:38 AM 05-15-2012
Originally Posted by CheekyChick:
You have to let them know? That's crazy!!! I am on the food program and as far as I know, we're not required to tell them if we are off site. Not that that's an issue since we never leave.
yes, Cheeky we do have to let them know. At least I do, so you might want to call and check to make sure. We have to call in if we are sick (closed), not going to be here, or closing for any reason. Just give a quick call to double check. Let me know though if you don't because if you don't and I do thats not right.
Blackcat31 07:41 AM 05-15-2012
Originally Posted by sharlan:
That is one reason I won't join a food program. I do a lot of spontaneous outings and don't want to be bothered with having to call someone.
Our FP Coordinator gave us a door hanger that says we are out and not available for a visit.

When she stops over and sees the door hanger out, she knows to come back another time. I have never had to call her and tell her that I would be gone.

I feel bad for those of you who do have to call and let her know as many of our outings are spontaneous and unplanned.
daycare 07:47 AM 05-15-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
yes, Cheeky we do have to let them know. At least I do, so you might want to call and check to make sure. We have to call in if we are sick (closed), not going to be here, or closing for any reason. Just give a quick call to double check. Let me know though if you don't because if you don't and I do thats not right.
I would call and check too.

Our food program requires that we call ahead of time so not to waste their time. Our head offices are 45 min away from where I live. When my Lady comes out, she has her day mapped out ahead of time and plans to visit each person. If she comes and I am not here, then I just made more work for her. Now she came out of her way and did not get to do her job and will have to reschedule it for a later time.

She is required to conduct a full viewing of me serving the kids at least 1 time or more every 3 months. So in order for her to do her job, I need to call and let her know when I leave.

To the OP- do you go out at a moments notice? If you do, maybe you can talk to your food lady and ask her the best way to go about this.
MN Day Mom 08:05 AM 05-15-2012
Here we have to notify them when we are going to be away also, if they come and we are not here we can lose credit for the entire day.

I have a cell number for my field rep and I can text her whenever I am going to be closed or leave the house with the kids. Maybe see if there is a cell number available for you to last minute text to?
Country Kids 08:12 AM 05-15-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
I would call and check too.

Our food program requires that we call ahead of time so not to waste their time. Our head offices are 45 min away from where I live. When my Lady comes out, she has her day mapped out ahead of time and plans to visit each person. If she comes and I am not here, then I just made more work for her. Now she came out of her way and did not get to do her job and will have to reschedule it for a later time.

She is required to conduct a full viewing of me serving the kids at least 1 time or more every 3 months. So in order for her to do her job, I need to call and let her know when I leave.

To the OP- do you go out at a moments notice? If you do, maybe you can talk to your food lady and ask her the best way to go about this.
Our food office is 1.5 hours away!!!! She actually spends the night when she comes to out town because she is in charge of the entire country! No small feat for one person.
Heidi 10:39 AM 05-15-2012
Im near Country Gal, and use a different food program, but we are expected to let them know too. If they come 3x and you are not here, they can kick you off the food program. Licensing also wants a call or email.

All this is not only due to the travel time in rural areas (they COULD always visit another provider instead), but also because in one of our big cities they had a huge problem with fraud. People claiming kids they didn't have, and of course, when the food program showed up to check things, they were NEVER home, or literally hiding in the house.

It's always the bad eggs that ruin it for everyone!
Countrygal 05:58 PM 05-15-2012
I can understand WHY they do it, I just can't get into the habit..... Our field trips are not planned in advance because, like I said, they have to be spontaneous because I can't transport unless one is sick or out for the day. So we go when we can. I guess I just need to be more disciplined and somehow remember to call. A note on the door, maybe???? UGH!

Anyone know anything about that app?? I tried installing it, but it wouldn't work. I'm thinking you must subscribe to the paid version of MinuteMenu. Anyone know for sure?
daycare 06:12 PM 05-15-2012
I can understand WHY they do it, I just can't get into the habit..... Our field trips are not planned in advance because, like I said, they have to be spontaneous because I can't transport unless one is sick or out for the day. So we go when we can. I guess I just need to be more disciplined and somehow remember to call. A note on the door, maybe???? UGH!

Anyone know anything about that app?? I tried installing it, but it wouldn't work. I'm thinking you must subscribe to the paid version of MinuteMenu. Anyone know for sure?
I had it on my old phone, but I never used it unless I forgot to log on for the day and was at the gym or something.....
Countrygal 06:38 PM 05-15-2012
daycare, did you have to have the paid version of Minutemenu to use it? I don't have the paid version. The app downloaded and said it would work with my phone, but when I went to sign in, it wouldn't.
MyAngels 08:09 PM 05-15-2012
daycare, did you have to have the paid version of Minutemenu to use it? I don't have the paid version. The app downloaded and said it would work with my phone, but when I went to sign in, it wouldn't.
I don't have the paid version of MMK and I just downloaded it and signed in.
CheekyChick 01:26 AM 05-16-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I'm sure you're right... We never leave, so it's a non-issue. As far as closing, I don't close since I have assistants. If it's a holiday, I mark the calendar at the beginning of the month. I hope I'm doing it right.
Countrygal 05:52 AM 05-16-2012
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I don't have the paid version of MMK and I just downloaded it and signed in.
Durn.... I've had trouble downloading apps before. Guess a trip to the phone doctor is in order. :P
Tags:calendar keeper, field trip policy, organizing tips
Reply Up