Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Neighbors Against My Daycare
mymomschoice 06:41 PM 10-07-2010
Hi all,

We (child daycare providers) are required to obtain a use permit and business license prior to operating a large family home daycare in the state and city I live in.

My neighbors are against my daycare and they want the city to deny my application to operate a large family home daycare.

Here are some of my neighbors complaints:

1) Diminishing property values (I believe my daycare has nothing to do with this).

2) Noise - According to the Zoning Administrator, my play area is designed and located in an area to minimize noise impacts.

3) Traffic issues - The city traffic engineer determined that the volume was not significant for a residential street.

4) Parking spaces - I have a 3-car garage. Nine (9) cars can park in front my driveway.

5) One of the city & state's requirements is that the childcare provider should live in the home where care is provided. ~My neighbors do not believe that we live in this home.

They believe that my family and I do not live in this home because we are too quiet and they said that our lights are always off at night (Isn't that funny?)

They requested the city inspector to come to home just to make sure that we actually live in this home. ~Again, they failed because we live in this home and we love it!

The most annoying comment that will probably hate a lot of readers of this post is when my neighbor told me (at the hearing) in front of other people that he does not believe that I, the applicant, should be making a living in this country (Yeah... go figure!!! Of course, I'm a US citizen but, my color is not the same as my neighbor who said this).

After the inspection and 5 days of holding my breath, I finally got the use permit. However, I received an email from the inspector today and I found out that some of our neighbors would like to appeal the Zoning Administrator's decision.

I really don't know at this moment what is going to happen. I do know one thing though, my intentions are good. I would like to be friends with my neighbors but, I can't please everyone (mostly if it means lowering my income that can affect my family).

My question is, do childcare providers have some kind of protection against this kind of neighbors? They are well off and educated people but, it's just really sad how much they hate the kids and childcare providers like us.
gbcc 05:28 AM 10-08-2010
Gosh, it sounds more like a race issue. Just because of that one comment. I have some well off "aquantances" that can not stand to see someone of a different race doing well or making more money.

I would call your counties legal aid society and ask them to advocate for you.

Good luck!
SilverSabre25 05:33 AM 10-08-2010
Oh my! What an awful situation. I'm really sorry you're having to deal with this; some people are absolutely unbelievable. I don't have any advice, but it sounds like you've done everything right and hopefully your city will see these tattling whiners for what they are--spoiled children who want to have everything their way. Good luck; you shouldn't have to be dealing with all this stress!
melskids 05:39 AM 10-08-2010
Originally Posted by gbcc:
Gosh, it sounds more like a race issue. Just because of that one comment. I have some well off "aquantances" that can not stand to see someone of a different race doing well or making more money.

I would call your counties legal aid society and ask them to advocate for you.

Good luck!
oh yeah...that was totally a racist remark. i would get a lawyer.
boysx5 06:04 AM 10-08-2010
that is awful we have serveral neighbors in my neighborhood who do daycare and I under my HOA we are allowed to do this now I know some HOA do not allowed any business being operated out of the home. Why do some people love to cause trouble good luck I hope you get this resolved
missnikki 07:00 AM 10-08-2010
With neighbors like that, I would be extra careful planning any events, even personal things without checking to see if a permit is needed. I would assume this guy will be a thorn in your side at all times, and go forward proudly but very carefully. Even on issues like parents parking on the street, toys in the yard, etc... Don't give this jerk any ammo.
MommyMuffin 07:08 AM 10-08-2010
I just wanted to include that if this is something that you really want to do then take their appeals and arguments and dont spend time thinking about them. Do what you need to do to get your license and dont look back (or next door). Stay straight and narrow with all the rules. Good luck and I hope everything works out. Dont let them get to you!
SilverSabre25 08:06 AM 10-08-2010
Originally Posted by :
With neighbors like that, I would be extra careful planning any events, even personal things without checking to see if a permit is needed. I would assume this guy will be a thorn in your side at all times, and go forward proudly but very carefully. Even on issues like parents parking on the street, toys in the yard, etc... Don't give this jerk any ammo.
That

Plus, if I were you I would also brace myself for calls to the licensing agency and/or to CPS to report you for the most petty and nonexistent of things, hoping they can shut you down. Sounds like a vindictive jerkwad who will do all he can to keep you from doing what you are perfectly within your rights to do.
DanceMom 08:10 AM 10-08-2010
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
That

Plus, if I were you I would also brace myself for calls to the licensing agency and/or to CPS to report you for the most petty and nonexistent of things, hoping they can shut you down. Sounds like a vindictive jerkwad who will do all he can to keep you from doing what you are perfectly within your rights to do.

Thats what I was going to say, make sure you are on your toes in every second of the day your daycare is open. Im betting they will report you for the slightest thing to get you shut down.

What a drag, I know my neighbors arent thrilled with me having a daycare..but its too bad. I try and be resepectful of them though - keeping kids inside in the mornings, fenced in my yard to keep the kids out of theirs etc..
MarinaVanessa 09:27 AM 10-08-2010
Wow good luck to you. I agree that I would just take the appeals in stride and move on. Yes they are troublesome, yes they are time-consuming but from what you have said officials have already stated that their reasons are not sufficiemt to deny you a permit for daycare. That being said, if they appeal this decision I agree that you should get legal advice on this subject. Getting your own lawyer can be costly so I like the above poster's idea that you should contact your local legal aid foundation and ask them for help. They won't always represent you but they will give you great advice and help you with the process. If the appeal overturns the first decision you should be prepared with the minutes and a manuscript of the 1st hearing, along with a witness of this comment about how you should not be making a living here (or a notarized letter) so that you can mention that you believe that at least one of the neighbors has something against you based on your race.

I was reading one of Tom Copeland's books about marketing and there's a section in there about neighbors. You could talk to your neighbors in person to discuss their issues and maybe once they actually meet you and see that you are being professional about it and will work with contracts, policies and within regulations and not just housing 20 wild screaming kids they'll give you and your daycare a chance.

You can also mail them flyers or letters introducing yourself and your daycare in a businesslike and professional manner. Include a list of their concerns that they made at the hearing and find a way to turn it around in their favor. For example:

Noise:
Will not be a problem because you have a maximum capacity of how many kids you will have and any time. List the maximum numbers and your daycare hours so that they can see that you won't have clients after 6pm or before 5am etc. If you decide to open at 6am (most cities have a noice ordinance prohibiting excessive noise before 7am) reassure them that you will have policies in place that will keep these early clients from making noise in the morning and if they fail to follow the policies you would appreciate to be notified (respectfully of course) and that action will be taken and if needed they can be terminated. You can also include loud music, slamming of doors, and honking during normal daytime hours too.

Parking: Repeat what you have already told us about how many parking spots you have available for your clients. You can mention that clients will not be staying long anyway and will only be there to pick-up and drop off and that they will only park in designated areas and will not block driveways, red zones or sidewalks. You can also mention how if you care for more than 1 child in a family that would mean even fewer cars.

Safety: Include information about how you have very strict safety and other regulations to ensure the safety of the children that you are required to follow. If your regulations include announced and/or unanounced visits from licensing or other include this also. You could briefly describe how your home and property has to be maintained and in good condition on a regular basis to keep it a safe place to play and learn. If you are planning on getting liability insurance mention this as well.

Property Values: Mention how you will be home everyday and how you can keep an eye out for suspicious activities/people keeping the neighborhood safer. Tom's book says that there is little evidence that running a daycare form a home lowers propert values and that you can contact your property tax office or real estate agent for more info on this.

Appearance of Property: You can keep the outdoor play activities in the back-yard and mention how there will be no toys or equipment left in the front yard at all.

Good luck with everything and I hope your neighbors come around.
Unregistered 04:59 PM 11-01-2010
While I agree that this might be a racist situation, allow me to present another point of view. I live in a neighborhood with a home daycare. It is right on the corner of a busy street and our residential street. The curbs near the daycare are painted red (no stopping any time) because the turns are blind - you can't see around the houses. The "customers" never park in the driveway, they park on the red-painted curb. You come around the corner and there is an SUV illregally parked that you nearly rear-ended, with a person standing on the street side putting their kid in the car. Yikes! The city just posted 5 "NO U-TURN" signs on my residential street and painted a double yellow line up the street, and put up a NO OUTLET sign, yet I was nearly hit today by a daycare customer U-turner. The day-care operator doesn't think this is her problem at all. Someone is going to get hit, maybe killed. And since it is her given right to earn a living out of her home, all we can do is call the police and get the day care customers ticketed for illegal parking, turning and driving.

So my question is - do we get to go to THEIR neighborhoods and drive in such a way as to endanger their familes? Or do we simply wait for someone to get killed? Wondering if today will be the day isn't the most restful way to spend your down time at home. Who knows, maybe we'll get lucky and someone will just get hurt (not killed), and then SOMETHING might finally happen to create a safe situation.

Good neighbors go two ways. Tell your customers to respect your neighbors and your neighborhood, park legally, drive legally and carefully. Enforce it. Don't let them park, even for minute, in or in front of your neighbors driveway, trash cans or mailbox. Ask them to park in your driveway first, and then legally on the curb if no space in the driveway is available. Don't let them park in the red zones or in front of fire hydrants with their emergency blinkers going. Don't let them throw their car trash on your street (yes, amazing that this happens). While you might have the right to have a home day care, your neighbors shouldn't have to suffer for it.
DaycareMama 07:22 AM 11-02-2010
I had a very similar issue. My neighbors are the town bullies for a lack of better word. They have an issue with anything and everything and will take anything to the higher power to fight it.
When I first moved in and they found out my daycare was following me it turned into a nightmare. They constantly bad mouthed me, my personal life and my children. Funny part is that this is a couple that worked with my father and respected my family. Until they decided that a daycare was not right for there neighborhood. Some complaints they had before I even opened were traffic, noise, the "type" of people I would be taking and what toys would look like in my yard. They didn't want to see any of it. They considered toys an eye sore.
Come to find out the only reason they were fighting my daycare was because the villiage would not let the husband park his commercial business trucks in his driveway. They couldn't have a business and I shouldn't either.
This woman faught dirty. I have a (at the time) 10 year old son who along with the other kids in the neighborhood played outside. I don't allow my dck's outside without me. We also live within feet to all our local schools. Meaning my son and neighborhood kids have to walk and are not offered a bus.
This woman in a nasty attempt to shut me down called CPS and my state registar and told them that I allowed my dck's outside alone unsupervised. Resulting in 2 toddlers almost getting hit by a passing bus. So the state came, investigated and saw I only had 2 infants unable to even walk went out to my yard and saw clearly by the lack of grass that when I did have kids they were safely away from the road and that I had barriers set so they couldn't pass. Oh I forgot to mention the day this went down we had gotten in an altercation. She knocked on my door during business hours and she was cursing me out in front of the kids for running a business in my home. I told her in the nicest words I could at the time where to go. I DID call my registars office b4 she did and warned them that I thought she would be up to something.
The outcome was I was found not guilty she got in trouble for reporting false claims and a couple months later she was on me for something else.
NOW 6 years later they compliment me on what a great business I run and how she never hears the kids. I still don't trust her by any means but somethings I do to "avoid problems" are

Ask parents not to turn around in her driveway
when I do have the kids outside we never scream
If they do we go inside
If a baby has a cranky day and is crying alot i will close my windows and use the ac instead
I do make sure to clean the yard up at night

Oh and finally I painted the side of my house that they see an ugly color so maybe they would stop looking over

Good luck and do not let them get to you. You have every right to run your daycare. Hopefully over time they will adjust like my crabby butts did!
Lightbeautyflower 02:57 PM 04-28-2012
Originally Posted by DaycareMama:
I had a very similar issue. My neighbors are the town bullies for a lack of better word. They have an issue with anything and everything and will take anything to the higher power to fight it.
When I first moved in and they found out my daycare was following me it turned into a nightmare. They constantly bad mouthed me, my personal life and my children. Funny part is that this is a couple that worked with my father and respected my family. Until they decided that a daycare was not right for there neighborhood. Some complaints they had before I even opened were traffic, noise, the "type" of people I would be taking and what toys would look like in my yard. They didn't want to see any of it. They considered toys an eye sore.
Come to find out the only reason they were fighting my daycare was because the villiage would not let the husband park his commercial business trucks in his driveway. They couldn't have a business and I shouldn't either.
This woman faught dirty. I have a (at the time) 10 year old son who along with the other kids in the neighborhood played outside. I don't allow my dck's outside without me. We also live within feet to all our local schools. Meaning my son and neighborhood kids have to walk and are not offered a bus.
This woman in a nasty attempt to shut me down called CPS and my state registar and told them that I allowed my dck's outside alone unsupervised. Resulting in 2 toddlers almost getting hit by a passing bus. So the state came, investigated and saw I only had 2 infants unable to even walk went out to my yard and saw clearly by the lack of grass that when I did have kids they were safely away from the road and that I had barriers set so they couldn't pass. Oh I forgot to mention the day this went down we had gotten in an altercation. She knocked on my door during business hours and she was cursing me out in front of the kids for running a business in my home. I told her in the nicest words I could at the time where to go. I DID call my registars office b4 she did and warned them that I thought she would be up to something.
The outcome was I was found not guilty she got in trouble for reporting false claims and a couple months later she was on me for something else.
NOW 6 years later they compliment me on what a great business I run and how she never hears the kids. I still don't trust her by any means but somethings I do to "avoid problems" are

Ask parents not to turn around in her driveway
when I do have the kids outside we never scream
If they do we go inside
If a baby has a cranky day and is crying alot i will close my windows and use the ac instead
I do make sure to clean the yard up at night

Oh and finally I painted the side of my house that they see an ugly color so maybe they would stop looking over

Good luck and do not let them get to you. You have every right to run your daycare. Hopefully over time they will adjust like my crabby butts did!
Thank God for your post. I'm new to the business and have to go through the same proccess of obtaining a conditional use permit through my city zoning office. I am now more confident about starting my business as I have not had much help from family or friends. Thanks again.
Unregistered 09:24 AM 06-23-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
While I agree that this might be a racist situation, allow me to present another point of view. I live in a neighborhood with a home daycare. It is right on the corner of a busy street and our residential street. The curbs near the daycare are painted red (no stopping any time) because the turns are blind - you can't see around the houses. The "customers" never park in the driveway, they park on the red-painted curb. You come around the corner and there is an SUV illregally parked that you nearly rear-ended, with a person standing on the street side putting their kid in the car. Yikes! The city just posted 5 "NO U-TURN" signs on my residential street and painted a double yellow line up the street, and put up a NO OUTLET sign, yet I was nearly hit today by a daycare customer U-turner. The day-care operator doesn't think this is her problem at all. Someone is going to get hit, maybe killed. And since it is her given right to earn a living out of her home, all we can do is call the police and get the day care customers ticketed for illegal parking, turning and driving.

So my question is - do we get to go to THEIR neighborhoods and drive in such a way as to endanger their familes? Or do we simply wait for someone to get killed? Wondering if today will be the day isn't the most restful way to spend your down time at home. Who knows, maybe we'll get lucky and someone will just get hurt (not killed), and then SOMETHING might finally happen to create a safe situation.

Good neighbors go two ways. Tell your customers to respect your neighbors and your neighborhood, park legally, drive legally and carefully. Enforce it. Don't let them park, even for minute, in or in front of your neighbors driveway, trash cans or mailbox. Ask them to park in your driveway first, and then legally on the curb if no space in the driveway is available. Don't let them park in the red zones or in front of fire hydrants with their emergency blinkers going. Don't let them throw their car trash on your street (yes, amazing that this happens). While you might have the right to have a home day care, your neighbors shouldn't have to suffer for it.
You know, I get the safety issues. I really do. HOWEVER, as a driver who knows that a particular area is more dangerous, you or the other driver shouldn't be "almost hitting" anything. Drivers who frequent the area KNOW the danger is there (which we know is true because you live there and see it), so it's the driver's job to be more careful and as annoying as it may be, to slow down. As far as strangers (not residents or clients) driving in the area, well any area a person does not know has the potential to be dangerous. Again, drivers need to be on the lookout. ANYTHING can happen ANY time ANY where, regardless of if a daycare is there or not. The PROVIDER is to make sure the kids aren't running in the street, supervising and ensuring the safety of her clients/kids but of course but that ends once they are off her property, you and I as drivers are to still be on the lookout. If SHE is not supervising right, and you've witnessed it, you report it. But as far as other hazards (like adults doing u-turns) how do you know it's ONLY her clients doing this? I am betting EVERYONE who goes down that road who wants to turn around would do the same thing and that's why the city has decided to mark it. They won't mark an area because 7 people are being stupid, they do it when it's a CONSTANT problem amongst MANY. I bet even if she closed it down, there would still be a problem in that area. I do agree that the provider should enforce some rules like "You know, I know you're used to parking in front of Suzies' driveway, but Suzie is not happy. Please do not park in front of her driveway anymore"

Furthermore, my neighbors who *ITCH about everything are the VERY SAME neighbors who PARTY all night long every weekend. They will go til 2am, unless us OTHER neighbors call. We try to call before 10pm so that the officers have enough time to stop them but sometimes, they can't get there for a couple hours. We have to put up with these jerks throwing sticks at our dogs, their loud partying, their SCREAMING kids at 2am because the kids are so dang tired while they are drinking, and we also put up with them burning trash in city limits where this is BANNED (where there is a fire ban amongst the whole state, even GRILLING!). WHY is that OK but they can complain about kids in the back being "loud" during outside time during the DAY?

Yeah, being a good neighbor goes both ways, but yet it doesn't.

When I ran my daycare, all but ONE neighbor (the ones behind me who are the above idiots I can't stand) said as long as we were quiet in the morning, respectful and didn't let the kids throw stuff in yards, at their pets, didn't block their driveways, they didn't care if I got my permit. NEVER had a single problem with any of the side by side/across the street or diagonally behind me neighbors. Again, the only ones who are jerks are the partyers, but I don't care WHAT they think because they don't respect ANY of us (not just me, but everyone else in the area who like their quiet at night). Perhaps they don't like noise during the day because they have hangovers, but that really isn't my problem.lol
MARSTELAC 11:19 AM 11-02-2010
Any updates? I hope you are going through with your plan. You have a right to have your business! My neighbors love my daycare kids! We are complemented all of the time. They bring us treats at least every other week, more like weekly. The kids are polite to the residents and the residents are polite to the daycare children. Good luck to you :-)
Unregistered 11:24 AM 06-15-2011
I too have had a licensed daycare... in the past. I was very careful not to annoy my neighbors, but that is not the rule of thumb with most. I am currently living next to a daycare and as I write this note I can hear all of her unruley loud rude children screaming in their pool!!! She as always is in her house or wherever! I live in a very nice neighborhood and I hate this daycare next door. I should be able to lay next to my pool and enjoy peace and quiet... but I can't!!! My summers are spent listening to her loud rude children while she stays in her air conditioned home or barely pays attention to the noise!!! So just be aware that your daycare can affect more than just you!!!
momofsix 01:02 PM 06-15-2011
It's something about kids in pools...they just tend to be loud If she is truly in the house while the kids are in the pool unsupervised that is dangerous and you should report her today!
youretooloud 01:11 PM 06-15-2011
I too have had a licensed daycare... in the past. I was very careful not to annoy my neighbors, but that is not the rule of thumb with most. I am currently living next to a daycare and as I write this note I can hear all of her unruley loud rude children screaming in their pool!!! She as always is in her house or wherever! I live in a very nice neighborhood and I hate this daycare next door. I should be able to lay next to my pool and enjoy peace and quiet... but I can't!!! My summers are spent listening to her loud rude children while she stays in her air conditioned home or barely pays attention to the noise!!! So just be aware that your daycare can affect more than just you!!!

See? I am that kind of provider. (we don't have a pool) But, my house is litterally 10 feet away from the one next to me. I can hear every single word said INSIDE the neighbor's house. I can hear three neighbors perfectly well when they are on their patios.

So, can you imagine how loud my kids are to the neighbors? I worry about this all the time.

I don't have anything I can do to make sure it's more quiet. But, my kids aren't rude... they are just toddlers and preschoolers. They are very loud though.

We were outside today playing with the hose, and they were incredibly loud. I feel bad. (in all fairness though, the kids haven't been out for over a week)
Blackcat31 02:26 PM 06-15-2011
this thread is from October of 2010.
youretooloud 02:32 PM 06-15-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I know.. but, someone else brought it up today, so I hijacked one of the newer comments.

So, it's an old conversation with a new subject now.

Because.. what if... the "unregistered" provider who was complaining about the kids in the pool is actually one of MY neighbors complaining about my kids???? What if the crazy family behind me somehow tracked me down here, and they are being passive aggressive? I want to know if my neighbors think my kids are too obnoxious...but, I don't want them to think I have a pool! And, let kids play in it alone.
Kaddidle Care 05:18 PM 06-15-2011
I'm still stuck on the OP talking about Zoning. In my town, the only reason you apply to the Zoning Board is to get a variance because something you are trying to do isn't right for the zoning you have.

for example:
I live in a residential neighborhood. Let's say my next door neighbor wants to run a doggy daycare and applies to the Zoning board. You can pretty much bet your bippy that I'm going to show up and diss it. I love animals but I don't want a kennel next door.

Everyone always thinks the worst when the township has to bend the rules (essentially a variance) to allow something.

Most Daycare children aren't outside playing ALL DAY and people don't realize that. Ours can get pretty loud and I allow it for a few moments but then talk to them about toning it down. NOBODY needs to scream at the top of their lungs to have fun. Children laughing and playing is a good sound but they don't have to be obnoxious about it. It's up to their caregivers to keep them at a livable level. If the children refuse, they can play indoors.
Lisa4kids 10:42 AM 06-16-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

If you look at the posts from yesterday.... UNREGISTERED seemed to have nothing better to do than to drudge up OLD posts and make negative comments on them ( about 5 old posts). the times were from 1:25 pm - 2:13 pm.... think it was just to get a rise out of current providers. This person couldn't even register to make his/her comments and I could tell by the posts that he/she were ignorant to many facts and had no clue as to what he/she was talking about. TROUBLE-MAKER....
Unregistered 07:02 PM 10-22-2011
Sorry but a daycare in a neighborhood is just a plain nuisance. Loud and inconsiderate of everyone else. With screaming kids and yelling adults. If you yhink this is fair then at least give me some of the money your making. I'm tired I suffering so you can make a buck. Found this site trying to find the right people to call to complain.
sharlan 08:37 PM 10-23-2011
Originally Posted by Lisa4kids:
If you look at the posts from yesterday.... UNREGISTERED seemed to have nothing better to do than to drudge up OLD posts and make negative comments on them ( about 5 old posts). the times were from 1:25 pm - 2:13 pm.... think it was just to get a rise out of current providers. This person couldn't even register to make his/her comments and I could tell by the posts that he/she were ignorant to many facts and had no clue as to what he/she was talking about. TROUBLE-MAKER....
Gee, 5 mos later and here comes UNREGISTERED, again!
Unregistered 03:24 PM 03-09-2012
I have a residential daycare that recently opened two houses down the block from me here in Chicago and the noise from the screaming kids and their wheeled toys on the concrete driveway every afternoon is, to put it nicely, a real nuisance. The sound travels throughout my home even with the doors and windows closed. Is there no recourse available to our previous peace and quiet?
DCBlessings27 05:21 PM 03-09-2012
I know this is an old thread.

Daycares in my city as fairly common in my area of town. I've never had any of my neighbors complain. We go outside during the weekdays in the morning or afternoon-- never in the evenings. I have retired neighbors, and they still haven't even complained about my daycare. The lady directly next to me has even let her granddaughters come play with my daycare kids. A neighbor behind me is very friendly and keeps her dog from barking at the kids. My daycare kids don't yell and scream--they play.
Sugar Magnolia 09:55 AM 06-16-2011
Oh I am so sorry to hear this! What a shame! First I want to applaude you for sticking to your guns and pushing through the zoning/permit process. I went through this too. I opened a small center, we don't live there, but had to go through a Major Conditional Use. Traffic studies, stormwater runoff study, install parking lot, install handicapped ramp, landscape buffer installed, and yes, the dreaded neighborhood impact meeting! I did not have issues with neighbors, practically no one showed up. BUT there was a church daycare across the street, and they certainly showed up! "How DARE you try to open a daycare across the street from ours! We have been here 20 years! Are you trying to hurt our business? What is your education? How much experience?...." The city official conducting the meeting had to cut her off and tell her that was NOT the purpose of the meeting. "This meeting is to discuss potential issues like traffic, noise, etc." The director of the church daycare muttered some very un-christian things and stormed out.
Oh and by the way, they are out of business now, because they sucked anyways.

So let your neighbor b***h a fit, the city/county is the one making the final decision. I am scared for you though....so much stress and worry....try to relax and wait out the process. As long as you play by the rules and follow all the zoning regs, you'll be fine. I hope once you do get approved, it won't be a constant stream of petty and unfounded complaints, just to make you miserable. You will get a lot of support here! I am pulling for you! Stick to your plan and to heck with the neighbors!
dave4him 08:31 PM 10-23-2011
[quote=mymomschoice;49688]

1) Having a neighborhood with kids that feel safe makes the value go up to me.

2) Noise - People hate the trains here but dont try to get them to move out of town!

3) Traffic issues - HAHA wish i could put some speed bumps in

4) Parking spaces - I have a one car garage and no where to park

5) lights are always off at night (Isn't that funny?)
renodeb 07:11 AM 06-07-2012
This post really caught my eye because when I first opened my home child care I got a compalint in the mail. It claimed that I was running an illegal business out of my home and that children where running around the neighboorhood unsupervised and that it was going to raise the insurance rates and lower property values. I called our home owners association and they had to keep me on hold while they looked into it. Ofcourse I was right and was well within my rights to run a licensed fcc. Luckily those neigbors have moved. We are very quiet as well. Some people just have nothing better to do but make trouble. Im so sorry that your having to go through all of this and I hope all of this gets resolved soon.
Debbie
Lesparza 12:39 PM 06-22-2012
Why would my neighbor make a daycare center next to my home in a residential area? A high volume year round, afternoon, children outdoors screaming while palying daycare. My home is where I come to to escape the everyday work environment. At least I thought that when I bought the house. It was not disclosed that there was a business next door.The parents picking up children drive on my grass while using my driveway as access, they honk intermittently for three hours a weekday night and sometimes Saturday to call their children. Their headlights shine in my windows and into my eyes unless I close all shades and curtains most times in the evening. They are God fearing, sweet, wonderful people who speak very little English(the only langauge I speak)....HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unregistered 08:15 PM 09-03-2012
I know what is it like. Opening tomorrow; I'm afraid my neighbors are going to picket when my clients come to drop off and pick up. That will end my business. Has this ever happen to anyone else?
Unregistered 08:46 AM 02-17-2013
We bought a house two years ago and did not realize nor were we told that there was a daycare caddy corner behind our house. The houses are close together here, but noone else makes any noise but the daycare. I can see clearly into the back yard where they have very used play equipment and I can tell you that there is NEVER an adult in attendance unless they are coming out to tell the kids to come inside. The kids yell as loud as they want while outside and for many hours per day, I cannot go outside without earplugs to work or enjoy my back yard. I feel that this is an infringement on my right to peaceful enjoyment of my home but our city does not regulate this noise! The only time there isnt noise is when its too cold or rainy for the kids to go out. Thank God we live in Oregon the rainiest state in the Union or we would never get peace and quiet!!

I think that if people want to open a daycare they should consider their neighbors first of all and do everything they can, like plant tall arbors, build a sound wall or whatever they have to do to keep the noise at a minimum. Why not start with good relations? What would make a person want to hurt their neighbors in this way? A selfish person who thinks that they have the right to do anything they want on their property would be the answer to that.
I have a dog and if he barks outside for longer than 15 minutes I can be fined up to 640.00 by law in this city. What about children screaming at the tops of their lungs for over three hours per day? Noise is noise. Nip it!!
Unregistered 02:43 PM 06-22-2013
I too live next to daycare. The noise goes through double glazed windows, wall insulation, and on into bedrooms, down the hall into the living room. Day care has built covered patio to the fence line for kids. They have installed speakers that play kiddie music aimed across the patio into my yard. Often the music is playing but no kids are even outside.

Day care providers take heed. The rest of us have rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. I understand small claims court is one avenue for those whose peace and quiet is disturbed. Think it through and put yourself into your neighbors' shoes.
Starburst 04:06 PM 06-22-2013
Okay can someone please lock this already? It's a very old post (over three years old) that keeps getting brought up by unregistered people who have issues with their neighbors and take it out on other providers. Look, we are sorry that you are having issues with your neighbors but we are not your neighbors, talking to us won't resolve the problem- you need to address your issues with them. We understand your point of view but every provider (and neighbor in general) is different.

There is a lady on my street (who doesn't have a daycare, just 3 kids) but we always hear her screaming and cursing at her kids (they are all under 10) and they are always riding their bikes in our drive way and in the street blocking our driveway. 2 weeks ago her kids went to our front porch and tried to take a swing at a stray cat with a PVC pipe. I yelled at them to get off our property and said I would call the cops if I saw them try to hurt any more animals, and later that day when I went to get mail I heard the middle one (about 6 or 7) was calling me a "Fat @$$" and then hiding behind another neighbors car. She also swears at my roommates "Slow the *^#! down!" when they are driving down the street at a normal speed (we live at the end of a down slope cul-de-sac) because she is dumb enough to let her kids play in the middle of the street. Today two cars (friends of hers) parked in the middle of the street blocking our drive way when my uncle was trying to back out. She doesn't even own her house, but acts like she owns the neighborhood. In fact, right now I am in my room upstairs and I can hear her yelling from the street at her kids. The point is, its not just child care providers, there are all kinds of people who are disrespectful and rude to their neighbors. When I start my business I plan on having a clause where they must not disrupt my neighbors and have a lot of rules out of respect for my future neighbors (not planning on starting it at my current house with that banshee next door) because I would like the same respect but that doesn't mean that they will give back the same respect and they may still find something to complain about that may or may not relate to my business.

But seriously there should be a limit when certain threads with certain situations that need immediate answers (not including polls or random fun question threads that don't require fast responses) are more than 1 or 2 years old on the public forum they get locked, you can still see them for information purposes but not allowed for people to post and bring up a very old thread that is resolved.
Former Teacher 05:54 PM 06-22-2013
Originally Posted by Starburst:
Okay can someone please lock this already? It's a very old post (over three years old) that keeps getting brought up by unregistered people who have issues with their neighbors and take it out on other providers. Look, we are sorry that you are having issues with your neighbors but we are not your neighbors, talking to us won't resolve the problem- you need to address your issues with them. We understand your point of view but every provider (and neighbor in general) is different.

There is a lady on my street (who doesn't have a daycare, just 3 kids) but we always hear her screaming and cursing at her kids (they are all under 10) and they are always riding their bikes in our drive way and in the street blocking our driveway. 2 weeks ago her kids went at our front porch and tried to take a swing at a stray cat with a PVC pipe. I yelled at them to get off our property and said I would call the cops if I saw them try to hurt any more animals, and later that day when I went to get mail I heard the middle one (about 6 or 7) was calling me a "Fat @$$" and then hiding behind another neighbors car. She also swears at my roommates "Slow the *^#! down!" when they are driving down the street at a normal speed (we live at the end of a down slope cul-de-sac). Today two cars (friends of hers) parked in the middle of the street blocking our drive way when my uncle was trying to back out. She doesn't even own her house, but acts like she owns the neighborhood. In fact, right now I am in my room upstairs and I can hear her yelling from the street at her kids. The point is, its not just child care providers, there are all kinds of people who are disrespectful and rude to their neighbors. When I start my business I plan on having a clause where they must not disrupt my neighbors and have a lot of rules out of respect for my future neighbors (not planning on starting it at my current house) because I would like the same respect but that doesn't mean that they will give back the same respect and they may still find something to complain about that may or may not relate to my business.

But seriously there should be a limit when certain threads with certain situations that need immediate answers (not including polls or random fun question threads that don't require fast responses) are more than 1 or 2 years old on the public forum they get locked, you can still see them for information purposes but not allowed for people to post and bring up a very old thread that is resolved.

I could not agree more!
Hunni Bee 07:03 PM 06-22-2013
I don't think that's fair.

I could see if people were replying to an old thread and were being rude or abusive, or stirring up an old argument.

But if these people are legitimately still having this issue and are seeking advice for it, who are we to say they can't post their opinion? Because they're unregistered and we're not? Because we don't want to see it?

I do get what you are saying, because it does get annoying when people reply arguing in a 5 year old thread. But many people google a phrase, then one of these old threads comes up, they read it and reply, not realizing the last post was 3 years ago.

Plus, there are some new.users that have not read some of these threads and they may be useful.
Tags:business license, daycare vs neighbors, neighbor issue, nuisance, permit
Closed Thread Up