Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Desperate, but is this worth it?
DaisyMamma 03:55 AM 07-23-2012
I have 3 out of 6 openings available
Things are quiet. No calls.

One lady emails me this AM and has 2 kids who need only 2 days a week. So that would take away 2 of my FT spots. Not only that but they would leave a 1/2 hour after close.

I was thinking of letting her know that she could use the spaces, but ONLY as drop in, since she isn't full time. That way after I get the second full time kid I would bump her....
What do you think?
Crazy8 04:35 AM 07-23-2012
I am in the same boat as you with having more than HALF my openings available come September - so while I'd like to say no, it isn't worth it, I know the reality of staring at an empty enrollment and IF you can accommodate the extra half hour then I taking them on as drop ins is a good idea. Will the mom go for it though knowing they don't have a "real" spot?? My contract even states full time takes priority over part time so I could even take them on as "permanent" part timers and just do it as long as my schedule allowed. The half hour would actually be the deal breaker for me - I have to get my own kids out the door for activities the minute kids leave so I couldn't do that.

Good luck!!
cheerfuldom 05:26 AM 07-23-2012
If the mom is up for the temporary status of the kids then why not try it out?
Blackcat31 06:25 AM 07-23-2012
I agree with Cheer, if mom is open to temp status, then I would try it but I would definitley make sure she pays a bit more though for the after-hours care since you have to work longer in the day now. Drop in/part time kids are always tougher IMPO then full timers.
DaisyMamma 07:41 AM 07-23-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I agree with Cheer, if mom is open to temp status, then I would try it but I would definitley make sure she pays a bit more though for the after-hours care since you have to work longer in the day now. Drop in/part time kids are always tougher IMPO then full timers.
That's what I did. I told her it would be $10 more per day, hopefully it will encourage her to have someone else pickup at regular time. I told her I can offer her drop in spots, but if she comes for an interview I will explain more thoroughly that it is part time spots, but a full time child looking to enroll would take priority.
Blackcat31 07:50 AM 07-23-2012
Originally Posted by DaisyMamma:
That's what I did. I told her it would be $10 more per day, hopefully it will encourage her to have someone else pickup at regular time. I told her I can offer her drop in spots, but if she comes for an interview I will explain more thoroughly that it is part time spots, but a full time child looking to enroll would take priority.
I have actually had this happen before (NOT the later hours as I never do that) but a drop in mom who fully understood that if a full time family was interested in the space, she would lose it and when that issue came up the drop in mom opted to take the full time space so she wouldn't lose out.

So maybe offer her the opportunity to take the full time spaces first if another interested family calls.....

...good things can come from temporary situations
DaisyMamma 08:34 AM 07-23-2012
Good idea.
Tags:drop in kids, temporary spaces
Reply Up