Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>No Show, No Call
DaisyMamma 10:48 AM 05-02-2012
I recently sent home updated policies to all families and a letter highlighting the major offences from all parents lately. One being that parents aren't calling by 8am to let me know a kid isn't coming.
This went home last Wed.
Friday DCG3 mom texts me @ 12:15 to say she isn't coming. (1:00 arrival)
Monday not scheduled.
Tuesday same as Friday. I respond to please tell me earlier as I just made all the kids leave a playplace to get home by 1 for her.
Wednesday, no call, no show. I'm irritated. I feel that her choice to not contact me was to make a point of, 'well, if you are going to reprimand me, I'm not going to even bother calling then.'
How would you take it? And what would you do?
I have no contacted her yet today.
MarinaVanessa 11:05 AM 05-02-2012
If I were in your shoes then I would have one last talk with her and ask her about what the issue is for her and how I can better explain it to her in a way that she understands.

I would also have two letters ready for her. One would be a simple agreement saying that "I ______, understand that I need to call the daycare before 8am if my child ______ is not going to attend the daycare that day." I would also add a consequesnce. "I understand that if I do not call before 8am then payment for the day will still be required as well as having an additional fee of $10 per occurance will be added to my account." I personally already require payment for the days that the children no not attend daycare so if someone did this to me then my consequense would simply say "I understand that this is my written warning and that if this problem persists then the child care provider can terminate my contract".

The second letter would be a simple 2 weeks notice of termination. I'd have both ready and see what her reaction is during our talk. If it looks like she's going to be difficult I'd simply hand her the 2 weeks notice.

I would also have something written up showing her record of what days she called too late and which days she simply didn't call. I'd hand her that no matter which notice I give her.

I'm assuming that she doesn't care to call because she's not paying for the days that her DCK doesn't attend DC. If I am wrong in my assumption then I'm not exactly sure why she wouldn't just call you or why it's happening so often. Usually people that pay for their spots even if their kid doesn't attend tend to want to get their money's worth KWIM?
wdmmom 11:19 AM 05-02-2012
There are a few different ways you can approach this:

1. Update the policy to include a convenience fee. No call by 8am, $10.00 fee in addition to the daily rate. Or, tell them they will be charged regardless of attendance. (If you dont do that already.)

2. Offer the family a full time spot. Or tell them that if they want a variable drop off time, they have to pay the highest daily rate.

3. 3 consecutive no call, no shows is forfeiture of their spot in daycare.

4. Mark your calendar and keep track of the absences and no shows. If it's continuing to happen, term.
DaisyMamma 11:40 AM 05-02-2012
I don't offer drop in care. You pay if you come or if you don't. It's common courtesy to let me know. Quite often I have to take the kids away from something to meet her at 1.
MarinaVanessa 11:48 AM 05-02-2012
Originally Posted by DaisyMamma:
I don't offer drop in care. You pay if you come or if you don't. It's common courtesy to let me know. Quite often I have to take the kids away from something to meet her at 1.
Does she often not show up? I know that you mentioned at least twice that she didn't and a few times where she canceled at the last minute but if it's become a habit of her doing this to you then why not simply tell her that because she has become unreliable in her drop-off times and doesn't call you by the required time that she needs to call you when she is ready to drop DCK off to see where you are and she can drop DCK off there.

This way you're not rushing the kids off and peeling them away from a fun field trip activity away from your daycare only to find out that DCK isn't coming afterall or waiting around for a call that never comes KWIM?
cheerfuldom 12:34 PM 05-02-2012
I would consider care terminated and send her a letter outlining fees due as well as the two weeks paid notice (assuming that is in your contract). i don't do no call/no shows.
DaisyMamma 04:12 AM 05-03-2012
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Does she often not show up? I know that you mentioned at least twice that she didn't and a few times where she canceled at the last minute but if it's become a habit of her doing this to you then why not simply tell her that because she has become unreliable in her drop-off times and doesn't call you by the required time that she needs to call you when she is ready to drop DCK off to see where you are and she can drop DCK off there.
Excellent idea
Reply Up