Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Long Did It Take To Get Your License?
Unregistered 05:48 AM 06-13-2011
I am in Nebraska and I just turned everything in today to get it going. We have to have a fire inspection as well as an inspection by the state. What was your experience dealing with multiple agencies? Any tips on how to make it go faster or information you wish you would have known BEFORE you had your inspections?
boysx5 07:12 AM 06-13-2011
It took me two months once all my paper work was turned in I know it varies from state to state. I wouldn't worry to much about everything I stressed so much and it went very smooth
Michelle 07:24 AM 06-13-2011
be prepared to show the fire department your exits and make sure there's no locking latches or deadbolts with keys for the top lock, they have to have the turning lever . and they will check your fire extinguisher to make sure its the right type.
tulip1969 07:30 AM 06-13-2011
I am in NY. I turned in my paperwork about a week ago and have already received phonecalls from the inspector and fire inspector. We made appointments for next week! It is moving much faster than I had anticipated and I couldn't be happier! Hopefully your state will go quickly as well. Good Luck!
littlemommy 07:32 AM 06-13-2011
Originally Posted by Michelle:
be prepared to show the fire department your exits and make sure there's no locking latches or deadbolts with keys for the top lock, they have to have the turning lever . and they will check your fire extinguisher to make sure its the right type.
Hmm..mine didn't even ask about a fire extinguisher! I do have one, and I know it's the right type. He was only here about 10 minutes. He just looked at and checked that my smoke detectors worked, checked the doors and their locks, and left.

After filling out and turning in paper work, everything is easy from there! Good luck!
Cat Herder 07:40 AM 06-13-2011
About 90 days.

I would download the "Guidance Manual" from the website, if available, it tells you everything they will be looking for and has a check box format so you can check things off as you go.

Time and stress saver.
jojosmommy 10:45 AM 06-13-2011
Over 5 months. Our county has 2 licensors and the one who got my paperwork "forgot it" on his desk for about 3 months or so. Also "forgot" to call me back despite repeated calls/messages. Once I got him to commit to coming to my house it was cake!

Hopefully yours goes much faster than that!
Sugar Magnolia 11:40 AM 06-13-2011
We opened a center...in FL...14 months of pure hell. Mostly zoning dept's fault. Pretty crazy, but to open a daycare center, we had to go through the exact same steps as WALMART does. Ugh! Hope yours is quick and painless.
GotKids 01:52 PM 06-30-2011
I am in Nebraska too. My license came in the mail in under 2 weeks, I do have to redo my fire inspection. Even though I do care on only one level of my home I have to have hardwired interconnected alarms on each floor. Not a big deal though. Also, the state has yet to come inspect. I think it is weird they issue first and inspect last.
sharlan 02:02 PM 06-30-2011
It took me 5 mos from the time I turned in my paperwork. We were told at orientation not to turn in the app until we were ready for inspection because we could possibly be called the following week.

My inspector told me that he was so backlogged that he didn't even look at the apps for 90 days.
MarinaVanessa 02:30 PM 06-30-2011
I'm in CA and I was told by my field office not to send it to the main office (Sacramento) and to mail it directly to the field office that covers my area otherwise it would take the main office days to sort through the mail, then weeks for the mail to get to the department that it needed to get to and opened and reviewed to make sure it was completed, then another few days to get mailed out to the proper field office, another couple of days to get opened, a few more days to get processed and a few more to get a phone call with an appointment for the home inspection that would be set at least for a week later.

Mailing the app directly to the field office closest to me cut my wait time from 2 months down to 2 weeks. After my inspection my paper approval arrived 2 weeks later.
Blackcat31 03:13 PM 06-30-2011
I love where I live.....I applied for my license, turned in my completed paperwork and recieved my actual license to frame and hang all within 45 days.
sharlan 03:21 PM 06-30-2011
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I'm in CA and I was told by my field office not to send it to the main office (Sacramento) and to mail it directly to the field office that covers my area otherwise it would take the main office days to sort through the mail, then weeks for the mail to get to the department that it needed to get to and opened and reviewed to make sure it was completed, then another few days to get mailed out to the proper field office, another couple of days to get opened, a few more days to get processed and a few more to get a phone call with an appointment for the home inspection that would be set at least for a week later.

Mailing the app directly to the field office closest to me cut my wait time from 2 months down to 2 weeks. After my inspection my paper approval arrived 2 weeks later.
How long ago was that? It only took a few weeks when I got my first license 20 yrs ago. But when I reopened it took forever.
familyschoolcare 04:04 PM 06-30-2011
I live in cal and it took a little more than three months

1. had to wait 2 weeks before taking the origination class required to before you could apply. Apparently here in Santa Clara county English is not the most popular language of home day care providers. LOL

2. signed up for CPR/first aid and health and safety (waste of my time did not learn anything my research on the internet did not already tell me) and turned in application saying when i was taking the class was told this was o.k. person call one week before i was taking the asking where the proof was, explained the dates and she said oh yes i see that now i will wait for you to fax me the proof next week then.

3. Faxed the proof. A week later (a week really) she calls and says she can not read the fax so i drive it in to the office in person.

4. A week and half later i get a letter in the mail saying that i forgot to put the name of the major cross street on my application. Why thy need that and direction and the exact address I do not know. (you could not have look at that 3 weeks ago when you first got the paper work really)

5. filled out and turned back in, in person then 2 more weeks and my rep called and said hi I am calling to let you know that I will be at your house in two days at 9:00 but i might be late so wait for me (really I do not get a say in when you set an appointment with me, at this point I just wanted the process over so arranged my schedule to fit hers)

6. Then when the rep did show up she was late because she could not find my house. She put San Jose in her GPS, I have a Los Gatos address. Why does the application ask for an exact address, a zip code and the major cross streets if the reps are not going to read that apart)

7. Then the rep tells me my house is too cluttered looking around trying to see what she could be referring to she points out that the recycle been in the kitchen is almost full, and the neatly stacked water bottles that my family washes and reuse are almost falling over because they barely fit where they are at. The she says this would be o.K. if you did not know I was coming but when you know we are coming we expect the house to be perfectly clean.

8. Had to wait for her to come back a week later. (She could not come sooner because her calendar was already full of appointment)

Any way my advice is ....
1. triple check the application
2. do not turn it in until you have proof of taking all the class they need you to.
3. Do not fax anything
4.make sure your house sparkles when the rep comes

Was told at origination that the process could be as short as 3 weeks from the time you turn in the paper work.

Best of luck to you
MarinaVanessa 04:34 PM 06-30-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:
How long ago was that? It only took a few weeks when I got my first license 20 yrs ago. But when I reopened it took forever.
Did you mail it to Sacramento? Or maybe did it last year? I heard people that did it 3 years ago or less had problems because of the budget cuts and especially last year because the budget didn't pass in July like it should have. For example 4 years ago when I would call licensing (my local office down in Santa Barbara) the officer of the day would answer within three rings. Now I call and I can guarantee that I'll get voicemail, leave a message and get a call the next day or even 2 days later. Things are just not the same anymore.
sharlan 05:06 PM 06-30-2011
I turned in my app 4/10 to my local office.
Unregistered 02:49 PM 10-16-2012
Originally Posted by Michelle:
When do I have the fire inspection? Do I set up appt. before the agency come out.. or the agency tell me when.
Willow 04:51 PM 10-16-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I love where I live.....I applied for my license, turned in my completed paperwork and recieved my actual license to frame and hang all within 45 days.
The county I originally got licensed in took less than a month start to finish too. I had no idea how good I had it lol

When I moved, new county licensor was clueless and it took nearly 6 MONTHS. I knew more about the process and what needed to be completed than she did.

If I were you OP I'd do everything possible before the county comes out. If you know you're going to need a fire inspection and can set it up on your own accord go ahead and knock it out.

Most counties have licensing checklists available online so you can see what you're going to need to have done ahead of time. I'd knock out everything you possibly could based on that before you even contact the licensor.
Countrygal 04:49 AM 10-17-2012
I can't believe so many of you get yours so fast. From all reports I've received here in Wisconsin it is six months. Period. No matter how prepared you are or how little or how much you need to change or educate. Six months...... It's one of the things that has held me back.
daycarediva 06:41 AM 10-17-2012
Originally Posted by tulip1969:
I am in NY. I turned in my paperwork about a week ago and have already received phonecalls from the inspector and fire inspector. We made appointments for next week! It is moving much faster than I had anticipated and I couldn't be happier! Hopefully your state will go quickly as well. Good Luck!
Did you already take your classes?

My classes were 6 weeks, I turned in my paperwork the first class and had my fire & final inspection the day before my 90 days were up. So yep, it took me 6 weeks!
Brooksie 11:18 AM 10-17-2012
Once I turned my paper work in I was licensed within 2 weeks. I love MSDE! They said I'd have my license by September and I was worried bc the Fire Marshal was out sick. Once he came in, I took his approval over to MSDE and she said she'd have my license in the mail at the end of the day. Received it the next day.
Unregistered 08:00 AM 11-08-2012
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Did you already take your classes?

My classes were 6 weeks, I turned in my paperwork the first class and had my fire & final inspection the day before my 90 days were up. So yep, it took me 6 weeks!
I have my inspection this friday- what should i expect? I am so nervous? Pls let me know.. Thank you..
Unregistered 10:40 AM 01-28-2013
How long does it take to receive home daycare license in Chicago, IL?
Patches 12:40 PM 01-28-2013
Took about a month from the day I turned in my completed paperwork to the day I was licensed. And about 2 weeks after that I received my copy of my license in the mail.
proudmommyofthree 02:16 PM 01-28-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Did you mail it to Sacramento? Or maybe did it last year? I heard people that did it 3 years ago or less had problems because of the budget cuts and especially last year because the budget didn't pass in July like it should have. For example 4 years ago when I would call licensing (my local office down in Santa Barbara) the officer of the day would answer within three rings. Now I call and I can guarantee that I'll get voicemail, leave a message and get a call the next day or even 2 days later. Things are just not the same anymore.
I got licensed both time (first time and then updgrad) within 2 weeks of turning in my application. My first one was dec of 08 the second one was this past August. I guess it depends how busy they are. I was pretty lucky and got my license quick.
mrsmartin2007 04:43 AM 08-22-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
How long does it take to receive home daycare license in Chicago, IL?
Chicago seems to take forever!! I turned in my paperwork in April of 2013 and currently still waiting for my inspection!!! I was told it depends on me but obviously that's not true, or I would not have quit my full time job!
Sunnyyy1 02:34 PM 08-26-2013
Originally Posted by Brooksie:
Once I turned my paper work in I was licensed within 2 weeks. I love MSDE! They said I'd have my license by September and I was worried bc the Fire Marshal was out sick. Once he came in, I took his approval over to MSDE and she said she'd have my license in the mail at the end of the day. Received it the next day.
Brooksie, How long ago was this? I am in MD also, I am just asking because all of my required inspections were done and my paperwork has been turned in and I am just curious of how fast OCC come out for there home inspection, and how long after that does it take to receive your CC licensing.
Reply Up