Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I used to love Halloween...until I started doing daycare.
Soccermom 06:10 AM 10-31-2014
Every year my daycare kids are a complete mess for 2-3 days.

They don't even need to wear costumes because I can't recognize any of them anyway since their behaviors are so horrible!

I had such a terrible day yesterday with kids misbehaving that I told all the parents I want them all picked up before 4pm today.

The kids all wear their costumes to school too and all the little kids came dressed up this morning as well for some strange reason.

When I was a kid, you dressed up just before you went out trick or treating...apparently now it is an entire day event?

I am getting too old for this....
midaycare 06:23 AM 10-31-2014
This is my first year doing dc so I am experiencing Halloween for the first time. My dck's are okay but I'm disappointed only 3 out of 5 showed up today. I have a fun day planned. I'm so glad I baked so many cookies early this morning ... And decorated ... Whatever!
mim 06:37 AM 10-31-2014
I dont let them dress up anymore. I used too and we'd have a party and lots of activities but one year a dcm sent her 18month old in an expensive and uncomfortable witch costume and it got some blue paint/coloring stuff on it that wouldn't come out. I tried to get dkg to take it off first but she screamed bloody murder so I put on a paint shirt and it still got messy. Mom was peeved. Tried making me pay for it even though my policy states play clothes and I'm not responsible if they get send them in nice things that get ruined. I decided. no more.

I'm super glad Halloween is on a Friday. Let the dcp's deal with the cranky exhaustion that comes from late night sugar rush.
Soccermom 06:43 AM 10-31-2014
Originally Posted by mim:
I'm super glad Halloween is on a Friday. Let the dcp's deal with the cranky exhaustion that comes from late night sugar rush.
Me too!!
crazydaycarelady 06:54 AM 10-31-2014
There is a teeny tiny bit of good news though? Tomorrow is Saturday so the sugar high and a good portion of the candy will both be gone before we see the kids again!
KidGrind 07:00 AM 10-31-2014
Originally Posted by Soccermom:
Every year my daycare kids are a complete mess for 2-3 days.

They don't even need to wear costumes because I can't recognize any of them anyway since their behaviors are so horrible!

I had such a terrible day yesterday with kids misbehaving that I told all the parents I want them all picked up before 4pm today.

The kids all wear their costumes to school too and all the little kids came dressed up this morning as well for some strange reason.

When I was a kid, you dressed up just before you went out trick or treating...apparently now it is an entire day event?

I am getting too old for this....
Told all my parents no customs. One DCK came with his in hand. I said, “Nice try! That’s for you and your to put on after daycare. I’ll see you in it with your Mommy & Daddy when you stop by for candy tonight. Give it back to Mommy to take home.”

One of my kids has been acting horrific. I feel like Bernie Mac right now.

Only four today…..YES!
KiddieCahoots 07:25 AM 10-31-2014
I usually go all out on Halloween. Have a haunted house for the kids, we make our own cupcakes, do treasure hunts, blah, blah, blah!
Not this year!
Daycare has put me through so much misery this past year, that I am the version of the Halloween Grinch today..... and embracing it! ..........
Meeko 08:00 AM 10-31-2014
Originally Posted by mim:
I dont let them dress up anymore. I used too and we'd have a party and lots of activities but one year a dcm sent her 18month old in an expensive and uncomfortable witch costume and it got some blue paint/coloring stuff on it that wouldn't come out. I tried to get dkg to take it off first but she screamed bloody murder so I put on a paint shirt and it still got messy. Mom was peeved. Tried making me pay for it even though my policy states play clothes and I'm not responsible if they get send them in nice things that get ruined. I decided. no more.

I don't allow for costumes for the same reason and more.

I had a mom send her daughter in a long princess dress. While she was sitting on the floor, another children stood on the bottom of the dress.....a complete accident......and it ripped. The mom was furious and tried to make me pay for it.

Since then, I don't allow costumes. Some kids don't have one and feel left out. Costumes are not nap friendly, diaper friendly etc and I am NOT going to take 16 costumes on and off throughout the day.

We are doing face painting, a craft and some fun music. They can dress up at home.
Unregistered 08:37 AM 10-31-2014
We did our Halloween party yesterday. Today was lots of outside play, early lunch early nap and kids all gone by 4!! Yay!!
TaylorTots 11:28 AM 10-31-2014
Originally Posted by midaycare:
This is my first year doing dc so I am experiencing Halloween for the first time. My dck's are okay but I'm disappointed only 3 out of 5 showed up today. I have a fun day planned. I'm so glad I baked so many cookies early this morning ... And decorated ... Whatever!
I can send you my address if you need a home for cookies.

Just saying.
ColorfulSunburst 11:45 AM 10-31-2014
it is our letter for parents:

Just a quick note, we are incorporating Halloween into our program this week to add something different to the kids experience. Just a note, we prefer that you not send the kids in costume on Friday. We have many costumes here and masks too. We will use them at various times to make activities fun. Sine your children are all still so young, it is very easy for them to become “tired” of the holiday if it is overdone and we do not want to ruin your personal celebrations at home so we will not have them in costume all day or over treat them with candy. This way the children can enjoy the holiday with their siblings and their parents together!

Happy Halloween!

Unregistered 01:30 PM 10-31-2014
Originally Posted by KiddieCahoots:
I usually go all out on Halloween. Have a haunted house for the kids, we make our own cupcakes, do treasure hunts, blah, blah, blah!
Not this year!
Daycare has put me through so much misery this past year, that I am the version of the Halloween Grinch today..... and embracing it! ..........
I do this stuff with my own children. I've never done with daycare kids. I'm thinking of closing next year. I probably sound like a grinch, but when these kids age out I'm probably going to start saying I'm a Jehovah's witness and get out of all holidays.
Crazy8 04:48 PM 10-31-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
We did our Halloween party yesterday. Today was lots of outside play, early lunch early nap and kids all gone by 4!! Yay!!
same here, except not much outside play (was cold/rainy here!). Yesterday was crazy though. I make kids come in with costumes on so that I don't have to deal with putting them on and I generally take them off by first diaper change (10am-ish). Then we do crafts so that paint wouldn't get on them, and then its lunch and nap so really only crazy half the day!
Reply Up