Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Foul Mouths
Unregistered 04:52 PM 06-15-2015
HELP!!! I volunteer at a daycare five days a week forty to fifty hours, we have had a couple of children begin to curse and now some of the other children r beginning to hear it. It started with one of the younger children but now its the older ones. We have to their parents about the issue but feel nothing is being done!!! Do ya'll have ANY suggestions we could use? Its about to drive me crazy and really ticking me off!!! They r using words that r very offensive in my opinion!! Thanks
Blackcat31 08:39 AM 06-16-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
HELP!!! I volunteer at a daycare five days a week forty to fifty hours, we have had a couple of children begin to curse and now some of the other children r beginning to hear it. It started with one of the younger children but now its the older ones. We have to their parents about the issue but feel nothing is being done!!! Do ya'll have ANY suggestions we could use? Its about to drive me crazy and really ticking me off!!! They r using words that r very offensive in my opinion!! Thanks
How old are these kids?

Is the program director aware of the issues?

What is the normal protocol for this type of behavior?
Play Care 09:20 AM 06-16-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
How old are these kids?

Is the program director aware of the issues?

What is the normal protocol for this type of behavior?
This.
As a volunteer you shouldn't have to deal with that AT ALL, IMO. This is the responsibility of the teachers and staff to deal with. What are they doing to address this?

I'm also surprised you are allowed to volunteer that many hours. IMO, that is way too much time to volunteer - and it sounds as if you have more responsibility than a volunteer should. Anytime we had volunteers, they have come in for maybe an hour to read a book, lead a special program, etc. If I was spending that much time at a dc, I'd want a paycheck
Thriftylady 10:28 AM 06-16-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
This.
As a volunteer you shouldn't have to deal with that AT ALL, IMO. This is the responsibility of the teachers and staff to deal with. What are they doing to address this?

I'm also surprised you are allowed to volunteer that many hours. IMO, that is way too much time to volunteer - and it sounds as if you have more responsibility than a volunteer should. Anytime we had volunteers, they have come in for maybe an hour to read a book, lead a special program, etc. If I was spending that much time at a dc, I'd want a paycheck
I agree. Sounds like you are being taken advantage of if you ask me.
Unregistered 04:26 PM 06-16-2015
I'm the one that takes the garbage down. Asvfar as protocol there is none we put them in time out that's about it. One parent asked where one child was going to school because they thought the child was a bad influence. I've told them i want to be payed. Half my family agrees that I should get paid!!
Thriftylady 08:53 PM 06-16-2015
I'm the one that takes the garbage down. Asvfar as protocol there is none we put them in time out that's about it. One parent asked where one child was going to school because they thought the child was a bad influence. I've told them i want to be payed. Half my family agrees that I should get paid!!
Why are you there? If you want to be paid and are not, leave. If you are not paid, you have no reason to stay. Tell them they can pay or you will find a place that will. As far as time out, that is all most places can and will do, short of calling parents and sending kids home, The sending kids home is what will get parents to do something. You need to move on, you are not a slave.
Play Care 03:21 AM 06-17-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Why are you there? If you want to be paid and are not, leave. If you are not paid, you have no reason to stay. Tell them they can pay or you will find a place that will. As far as time out, that is all most places can and will do, short of calling parents and sending kids home, The sending kids home is what will get parents to do something. You need to move on, you are not a slave.

Today, just don't go in. You are not an employee. You are not getting paid. They can't fire you. You can't use volunteer work on most resumes or applications.
Heck, if I were you - today I would sleep in. I would head to the library or the beach or the pool and I'd relax all day long.
I suspect there is more to the story though - are you related to the staff/director? Are you in the country illegally and worried about being turned in? Because I see no reason for loyalty otherwise.
Unregistered 04:08 PM 06-17-2015
No, stepmom got me the job for something for me to do!!! But the owner claims that its impossible to pay me!!!
Unregistered 04:09 PM 06-17-2015
Not related to ANY of the staff or owners!!!
Unregistered 04:19 PM 06-17-2015
@playcare: I'm legal. Stepmom got me the job for something to do!!!
Thriftylady 05:44 PM 06-17-2015
Quit and go get yourself a paying job for something to do!
Play Care 03:04 AM 06-18-2015
If you are not getting paid, it's not a job. Stop going in.

If you are supposed to be getting paid and are not, stop going in and turn them in to your state's Dept. of Labor.

There are other child care centers you could apply to and probably get an actual paying job.
Blackcat31 12:47 PM 06-18-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
If you are not getting paid, it's not a job. Stop going in.

If you are supposed to be getting paid and are not, stop going in and turn them in to your state's Dept. of Labor.

There are other child care centers you could apply to and probably get an actual paying job.

Yes this!
Leigh 04:57 PM 06-18-2015
I'm with everyone else. If you're not being paid, stop going in-you're being taken advantage of. In addition to what others have mentioned, using you as a "volunteer" may not even be legal for them.

I am assuming that you are under 18, since you mention that your step mother got you this awesome gig (). Even if you are, you may be able to find a paid position for the summer in a daycare (I THINK that in my state, helpers only have to be 12!).
Unregistered 02:04 PM 06-19-2015
I'm 27!!!!
Thriftylady 04:35 PM 06-19-2015
I'm 27!!!!
Then why is your step mom finding a job for you? Go out find your own job. Do you still live with them? If so get a job and move out and enjoy your adult life for crying out loud. Why are you in this situation?
Unregistered 02:50 PM 04-23-2017
Hey guys,
I wrote back in 2015 about a problem we were having. I've cut way back on my hours and still enjoying it
LysesKids 04:26 PM 04-23-2017
Hey guys,
I wrote back in 2015 about a problem we were having. I've cut way back on my hours and still enjoying it
And personally, I think the advice given to you 2 years ago still applies... why are you volunteering when you have the skills to do a paying position? And why still be unregistered after all this time
Unregistered 06:33 PM 04-24-2017
Personal reasons
Tags:2015, curse words, foul mouth, innapropriate words, underage
Reply Up