Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do Parents Ask You Anything At Interviews?
Ariana 11:23 AM 04-06-2017
I have had several interviews since January and I have not had one parent ask me anything about myself! They don't know where I am from, where I have worked before, where I went to school, not even if I have a police records check or CPR/First Aid! Is this normal?

They just tell me about their kids, thats it and answer questions I have. Seems super odd to me that they don't care to learn anything about the person taking care of their kids or their qualifications. I guess this is how bad providers get away with what they get away with.
CityGarden 11:27 AM 04-06-2017
Typically I run my tours and in the process I share about my professional background, program goals, flow of the day, etc. plus my degree in on the wall.

I ask them questions... but I am open to them asking me and some have but typically it's a follow up question to something I stated.
Cat Herder 11:33 AM 04-06-2017
Are you over 30?
Blackcat31 11:37 AM 04-06-2017
Most of my clients come from word of mouth so they feel they "know" me that way and the rest come from my website and my website has an "About Me" section. I'll PM you the link if you are interested in seeing/reading it.

I have had prospective clients in past years call and say "hi is this a daycare?" When I respond that it is, I get "Well can I drop Billy off tomorrow at 7:00?"

Parents are weird sometimes...
Ariana 11:40 AM 04-06-2017
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Are you over 30?
Yes by a decade . Is that why? Please don't tell me thats why? Old mother hubbard syndrome?
Ariana 11:40 AM 04-06-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Most of my clients come from word of mouth so they feel they "know" me that way and the rest come from my website and my website has an "About Me" section. I'll PM you the link if you are interested in seeing/reading it.

I have had prospective clients in past years call and say "hi is this a daycare?" When I respond that it is, I get "Well can I drop Billy off tomorrow at 7:00?"

Parents are weird sometimes...
Would love the link! I used to have a website with an about me section but it attracted more crazies! Lol
Cat Herder 11:50 AM 04-06-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Yes by a decade . Is that why? Please don't tell me thats why? Old mother hubbard syndrome?
Do random young children approach you in public? Do strange women with more than one child ask you to watch their child "for a quick sec" in public restrooms?

Some people do, some people are. They sense you are.
thrivingchildcarecom 12:08 PM 04-06-2017
I usually take the lead and open up the interview with information about myself and my family. I talk about my experience and clearances and a few other facts. Then I get into our program and encourage parents to interrupt me with their own questions.

Sometimes I think they don't know what to ask, so I lead with typical questions other parents have asked.
DaveA 12:16 PM 04-06-2017
I'm pretty thorough in my interview and any contact beforehand. What I've noticed is a distinct lack of a middle ground. It's either "Nope- We're good." when I as if they have questions or they have pages of questions ready.
laundrymom 12:23 PM 04-06-2017
My family calls it the Santa syndrome.
Kids just know I'm safe.
Do random young children approach you in public? Do strange women with more than one child ask you to watch their child "for a quick sec" in public restrooms?

daycare 01:29 PM 04-06-2017

OMG is that not the truth.. I swear there is like some sent we give off...
Mom2Two 04:10 PM 04-06-2017
Originally Posted by daycare:

Ariana 07:24 PM 04-06-2017

This is exactly what my husband says! He says when they meet me "they just know"
childcaremom 03:04 AM 04-07-2017
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
My family calls it the Santa syndrome.
Kids just know I'm safe.
I love this.
daycarediva 09:14 AM 04-07-2017
Originally Posted by daycare:
YES! Some little dude (maybe 2-3?) kept trying to hold my hand in the movie theater last week. Then asked to sit on my lap. His Mom kept apologizing but I was cracking up. We shared candy.
Ariana 09:54 AM 04-07-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
YES! Some little dude (maybe 2-3?) kept trying to hold my hand in the movie theater last week. Then asked to sit on my lap. His Mom kept apologizing but I was cracking up. We shared candy.
That is so funny
daycare 01:37 PM 04-07-2017
lol..I always worry that some parent is going to think that I am trying to take their child or something when they are seeking me out.

to answer your question, yes I do ask lots of questions. One of the questions I ask that surprise some parents when we are on our second part of the interview process is, do you feel you will have any problems paying the weekly tuition on time each week? I want to make sure that families are not putting themselves in a huge bind to pay me each week and that it's going to add so much stress to their lives. Some may lie to me, but most will tell me the truth. When parents stress, I feel it rubs off on their children and parents who can't pay are usually the ones who cause a lot of drama. Dram like, I lost my check book, my car was broken into and my wallet was stolen, etc etc...

I also ask if they co-sleep, who will provide back up when I am closed or their child is sick.

What are their expectations of my program

I ask if their child is attending care now and if so where. Ask why they are leaving. red flags are often found with this question. like a parent saying can you believe they expect my 19month old to nap.....lol YES.....

how is their diet and do they have a consistent routine they follow at home, ask them to tell me about it.

where do they work. how far away is it? if it's far, is there someone local who can come get the kid if I have to send home sick or an emergency?

Is your child on a bottle and can they self feed? with our without utensils.

I ask others.....I can't think of them right now
Puddleduck 01:56 PM 04-07-2017
I've talked to a number of friends/clients/interviewees in the past year who believe unlicensed daycare providers legally need to have their first aid/cpr and background checks. This may be why people aren't asking about those things.
Before the interview I send potential clients my handbook and then I ask them to let me know if they have any other questions, so they usually come to the interview prepared with a list of things they didn't understand or want clarified.
Snowmom 02:51 PM 04-07-2017

Lol. So true.
I was at the DMV the other day and a little crawler saw me from the across the room and just started booking those rolled chubby little legs across the room in my direction.

Even the littles sense it.
renodeb 08:09 PM 04-08-2017
For me it's a mixed bag, some ask about and some don't. I can remember having one interview and they just grilled me with questions like how long have a been married, how old am I. etc.
Deb
Reply Up