Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Bookshelves into Cubbies
ljohnson81 01:22 PM 04-07-2017
Has anyone ever tried converting bookshelves into cubbies for children personal belongings?? I purchased some $27
5 shelf bookshelves from Wal-Mart and I'm thinking about converting them into cubbies. The cubbies are so expensive so I figured this would be an inexpensive way to start until I can build enough capital and purchase better ones later.
jenboo 02:35 PM 04-07-2017
Originally Posted by ljohnson81:
Has anyone ever tried converting bookshelves into cubbies for children personal belongings?? I purchased some $27
5 shelf bookshelves from Wal-Mart and I'm thinking about converting them into cubbies. The cubbies are so expensive so I figured this would be an inexpensive way to start until I can build enough capital and purchase better ones later.
I used book shelves and just put baskets on them. Each basket was a cubbie.
daycare 02:53 PM 04-07-2017
I have these. I turn it on it's side so that all of the kids can reach them and then have a tub in each one with all of their stuff in them.
Attached: ikea expidite.JPG (180.5 KB) 
ljohnson81 03:46 PM 04-07-2017
Those are some good ideas too, but I'm going more for the cubby/locker look. I'm turning the bookshelf on the side and maybe add cubes are something underneath to make it taller. Below is the look I'm wanting.
Attached: cubbies.jpg (6.9 KB) 
ljohnson81 03:49 PM 04-07-2017
Below is what I purchased.
Attached: mainstay cubbies.jpg (20.1 KB) 
redmaple 04:00 PM 04-07-2017
I use the same as you bought. Turned it on it's side. Added hooks in each section. Put a Dollar store basket on top of each section for mitts, hats, etc. On the bottom of each section I put a square of fake grass from the Dollar store. It works. When the kids hit age 4 the snow pants are a bit tall for it, so I should move one set of hooks up higher.
ljohnson81 06:36 PM 04-07-2017
Originally Posted by redmaple:
I use the same as you bought. Turned it on it's side. Added hooks in each section. Put a Dollar store basket on top of each section for mitts, hats, etc. On the bottom of each section I put a square of fake grass from the Dollar store. It works. When the kids hit age 4 the snow pants are a bit tall for it, so I should move one set of hooks up higher.
Do you mind sharing pics?
redmaple 03:52 AM 04-08-2017
IMG_0004 (800x463).jpg

I've used it for a few years now. I've turned the buckets around, but on each one is a cute word strip with their name.
Attached:
ljohnson81 08:25 AM 04-08-2017
Originally Posted by redmaple:
Attachment 4095

I've used it for a few years now. I've turned the buckets around, but on each one is a cute word strip with their name.
Looks great!
Reply Up