Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>License Application Denied. How do I Write an Appeal letter? Do I Need an Attorney?
Mariehouse 04:24 PM 09-15-2011
I am certified to operate a family home daycare in WI. I submitted my license application and I received a certified letter from the State saying that my license application was denied because I had falsified information on my Background check form. Licensing said my license application has been denied because I had checked "NO" to question #1 on the Background Disclosure Form, and I was convicted of Obstructing an Officer and charged with a misdemeanor (8 years ago). I had completely forgotten about this incident (I had lied to a police officer). Even if I had remembered this charge, I wouldnt have checked "YES" because this isnt a conviction that's listed on the "List of Child Care Crimes Table" form! This "Crime Table" form lists the crimes that may ban a person from holding a license to operate a child care center in WI.
My denial form also states that because I falsified information on the Background disclosure Form that I am now permanently barred from obtaining a daycare license! I now have 10 days to appeal! Should I appeal on my own? Should I get a lawyer? (I cant afford a lawyer!) Do I have a chance to win this? Someone please help me get my license! This is so unfair!

This is how the background form was laid out:
SECTION A- ACTS, CRIMES AND OFFENSES
THAT MAY ACT AS A BAR OR RESTRICTION YES NO

1. Do you have any criminal charges pending against you or
were you ever convicted of any crime anywhere, including
in federal, state, military and tribal courts? x

...I answered question #1 exactly the same for licensing as I did for certification. My certifier did a background check and I was certified without a problem, but my licensor did the same background check and denied me. I spoke to my certifier and she said that she must have overlooked this conviction and she will probably have to revoke my certification! After my certifier took time to speak with her boss, she informed me that my certification would NOT be revoked, but she cant change the licensing department's decision.
Tags:appeal, license - denied, license - revoked
Up