Daycare.com ForumDaycare Insurance Daycare Insurance LIST YOUR DAYCARE!

FIND A DAYCARE!

Facebook


Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-25-2010, 03:14 PM
marylmr
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Question Licensed DayCare vs. Private DayCare

Do not let the State scare you with their anger talk. As long as you love the children - spend quality time with them - thats all that matters. What can they throw you in jail for? Oh you make MONEY!!? Seriously that's what this world is boiling down too - who makes the most money..

And reading topics before mine - unlicensed daycare is just as better as a licensed daycare?.. Yes I agree! I watch the news every day & hear licensed daycares having their licensed revoke due to neglecting child(s) - physical abuse and so on. I'll tell you this - back in the 1970's before the law past that anyone oroviding care for more than two families are required to be licensed!. WELL watching the news everyday for number of years, I see more & more children being sexually, physically & emotionally abused in a licensed daycare. So in another words - back in the years before the law past to be licensed, children were better off in a private home daycare.Being a licensed daycare is STRESSFUL because they're so many strict regulations & the more money you make - the more taxes you have to pay back to the government! And with a license certificate - the state can come to your home anytime they want & you are not allow to lock them out or you'll have your license revoked.

Being a license family home provider - you have to run the daycare the way the state wants you too. I'm not talking about spanking a child because that is ABUSE!. I'm talking about semi-structure - close to running a preschool some what.Being licensed with the State - The State OWNS YOUR HOME & has access to your home anytime..So with the State being all over you and owning you - it does make it hard to be licensed & its not fair to the children to fear you,(that your nervous). As a mother myself to four beautiful children - a granddaughter, I do not have a record of being a child abuser. I have a CPR certificate in children and adult. I know how to raise children properly. So many, many family home licensed daycares are opening everyday & alot of those licensed daycares are getting their licensed revoked everyday! Your better off running a private home daycare.

I was licensed once and refuse to renew my licensed because it is stressful working with the State and having my family & friends investigated and pissed off about it.The State for one can tell you who can be at your home & who can't. Even when you do not provide weekend Childcare - the State still tells you who can be at your home and who can't. Seriously I do not want anything to do with child abuser or crimmals but when you have your good friends,(like a few of mine that are LPN's investigated by Childcare), I get disturbing phone calls from my friends,questioning why I had to have them investigated by Childcare? So I told my friends that I'm not getting licensed again after my licensed is due for renewal..What a embarraassment to me and my friends.Having to give the State of childcare my family/friends their social security number/age/birth date/complete home adress & place employment. YES the State does own you/your home and you do not have no privacy.The State is your BOSS & you have no control over them.Talk about invasion of privacy to you and your friends. If you suspect your being investigated because your running a daycare - don't fear because your nothing comparing to those licensed daycares that are being shut down everyday!. My yard is protected with safe equipments & I have been running a private daycare for years. Parents that have their children in my daycare prefer a unlicensed daycare anyways and refuse to talk to the state because they know they're out to look for trouble..I except checks to and have cashed them for years. What the State doesn't find - you'll be alright. Like I said - it's all money talk and bull**** walks.

I mention above - I watch the news everyday,(read the newspaper where the Stare has revoked daycares and were cited into court where the Daycares have got their licensed back).YES the state HAS revoked daycares for wrong reasons and have lost court cases and had to give the daycare providers their licensed back... Believe it or not, they're SO MANY, MANY in home daycares licensed with no High School dIploma.Any High School drop out can get licensed with the State to run a daycare. So again, your better off to be private. Its less headaches to deal with the State owning your home & you. I have had suspious vechiles watching me & cops coming to my house. Without a warrant, the cops have to leave. And being watch, I have just as much rights to have them leave.Its Stalking & against the law!. Without evidence and being a proud parent and a Daycare parent - thats all it matters. Your fine & I'm still running a private daycare in my home,(have been for years) & I love it!!. Children have their freedom, especially during the summer vacation when school is out. But being licensed with the State - children have less freedom and have to have semi school all year around with no break!. Is that fair to the children?...My daycare children can not wait to come to my home & believe it or not, the kids actually kick their parents out. LOL

They are happy- go lucky kids..By the way - think AGAIN if you want to be licensed by the state to become a daycare provider, because Barack Obama is CUTTING ChildCare cost! Putting your child in a licensed DayCare COST ALOT more money & with ChildCare fundings being cutted, childcare providers will still ask parents to pay more out of their pockets to meet their Childcare cost! BUT with private daycare's, it does cost LESS & I go by the parents income. Parents deserve to have spending money to them self. Why in the world do people work? They need money to live and I help them save by deciding to go private. And with the Children in my care, my child care cost went down & parents are very relief and happy that I do not have the State,(boss breathing over my shoulders 24/7). The ChildCare field investigators can & will investigate ChildCare even with no reasons. Investigate to check up on them, even with no complaints. So do you want to still get licensed?

Last edited by Michael; 01-25-2010 at 11:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-30-2010, 06:12 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Smile unlicensed daycare

I agree with you more than ever. So how many kids do you think is too much for my private daycare? I have fourkids of my own and two of them are in school all day and haven't had a daycare in my home before. Could use your help.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-02-2010, 04:50 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Red face unlicensed daycare

I would also like to know how many children are allowed besides your own. I have a 2 year-old. I also homeschool my 15 year-old, and live in the state of Mississippi. So am I thinking this right, you don't have to have a state license if you keep a certain amount of children in your home? I really didn't want to have to do that either. Wasn't sure I had a choice though. Thanks for your help!

Alyssyn
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-04-2010, 11:59 AM
Carole's Daycare's Avatar
Carole's Daycare Carole's Daycare is offline
Daycare Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 232
Default

Wow. That isn't just a defense of unlicensed caregiving, but an attack on licensed caregivers and any state or regulatory process involving childcare. Licensed caregivers found /cited in abuse neglect or injury cases make the news, but that's no excuse to bash all licensed caregivers. You hear about more cases of abuse because the media is now willing to talk about it, and law enforcement and social services do a better job of investigating and prosecuting it. Years ago it was kept "private" and not an issue at all in the public forum. In fact, licensed caregivers GET CAUGHT because of that state interference you are complaining about- which protects children, makes the public aware of potential hazards(which hopefully encourages them to be more involved in their child's care) and lets bad providers know they will be caught. Licensing investigates anyone who spends the night or frequents a daycare home during hours for the protection of the children, including my husband ( deputy sheriff) my teenaged honor student, and any friends that have access to the children. If that makes your friends uncomfortable, too bad.

As for the supposed lack of education- I'm certain just as many unlicensed providers were unsuccessful students or non-graduates as licensed ones. The difference is licensed providers are REQUIRED to participate in further training. Many unlicensed providers are educated and provide quality care, and choose to not license for many reasons. There are also some are blithering idiots that I wouldn't let watch my dog. They do not undergo ongoing training, and, since they are unlicensed, are not required to, nor are they "on the radar" so that anyone knows for certain what their qualifications might be. There are licensed providers that aren't terrific also. Hopefully that is changing, as in Minnesota we are implementing QRS (voluntary at the moment)- which is a quality rating program that allows licensed daycares to have independent observers evaluate their program and rate it on different areas. For example- How does the home/environment measure up based on the environmental rating scale? How much education does the provider have? What type of curriculum or educational opportunity is provided? How is parent communication handled. Etc Etc. Families will be able to get more information prior to enrolling children on how the daycare measures up, and choose caregivers that score higher in areas that are more important to them. A parent may not care if they have bulletin boards or newsletters, but really want a place with a lot of dedicated daycare space. Another parent may not consider separate daycare space as important as the providers education and training.

I don't think the "argument" about licensing VS unlicensed care is about whether unlicensed providers can be a good provider. For those of us who license- and I, at least, work in training and on boards related to children's issues, its about safety and consistency and quality- and how much influence and responsibility the state has for ensuring the safety of children in care. In MN over 80% of children under school age are in daycare or preschool programs. Statistics show nationally over 48% of available daycare options ARE NOT GOOD FOR CHILDREN. I promise you there are people who blame the state whenever there is a lack- and if it was totally unregulated and your child was hurt in any daycare, or even if they went to school unprepared, the state would get the blame for not ensuring the safety of a business caring for children. Should childcare providers have fewer requirements than workers caring for our elderly as home care or nursing home workers? Yet they must be licensed, and in fact take and pass a licensing exam, while daycares do not. It really isn't about making life hard for the provider, or the STATE owning your business. It does not require year round preschool, or any curriculum specifically. It requires basic safety and health precautions, and a knowledge and practice of basic quality care in terms of child development and positive discipline. It can be inconvenient- I just had my surprise food program visit this morning. The hope is to find a way to ensure consistent, quality care. No regulatory system can guarantee 100% effectiveness, but the hope is to empower providers to see themselves, and be treated, as professionals, thereby increasing their access to training, grants and professional development, as well as having some oversight as to basic safety and quality.

I respect all of the providers opinions, licensed or not, and have received encouragement, ideas and help from both, so it is not my intent to disparage anyone. I do think the vitriol and animosity towards the state of this original poster, makes me question their motives somewhat. Also, however eloquently they stated their case, it is apparent to me this individual has no business criticizing the education of other providers. Graduate or not I would not have this person as a primary language influence on my child. Also the extreme anti-establishment rhetoric makes me uncomfortable. I'm one of those parents who would choose education and curriculum over other factors. That's just how I am. I try hard to balance what I know they need to learn, and what I know they need for healthy emotional, psychological and social development, which is why I run a home daycare instead of a more institutional center. Another person may be uncomfortable with a childcare run by a geek that focuses on education- preferring a more laissez fare approach. Ultimately the amount of state influence over any business is always up for debate, but the unfortunately as the world changes and the cost of education goes up, and early childhood education is more and more a factor in long term success, there will be ongoing expectations of ensuring quality in the family daycare home.

Last edited by Michael; 01-21-2013 at 12:41 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-11-2013, 08:23 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default license vs private

Bravo!!! I agree 100%
I was licensed through the state and had my license suspended.....why? I was falsely accused of bein on drugs I had 3 different drug test performed and all three came back clean however DHS can't be prevent wrong. I have a case against them not because I want my license back but to clear my name. I Ryan a private daycare and I can finally breathe again and the children have the freedom to be children. My advise is to not get license. My son had to get rid of his lizards he had had for years because the state said no. They tell you and your family members what they can or can't do. I understand them wanting to know who lives in the home so I provide all that for my new parents now with background checks. Oh and if they want they can come in and take your own kids from you if they feel like it. Keep the state out of your house because you will never have a home.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-11-2013, 08:37 AM
Springdaze's Avatar
Springdaze Springdaze is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 526
Default

I know this is old, but in a way I agree. I am licensed, my state gives no benefits to being licensed by way of allowing you to have more kids if you are. I do it because it is really the only way a parent can hope that you are qualified. I know it doesnt take much to be licensed, but at least you have to have a background check and such. If I didnt have to, I probably wouldnt but I feel that it "looks better" to a parent who doesnt know me from the next person.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-20-2013, 10:42 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Childcare question

Hi I would like to help parent out whit there daycare fees can some tell me if I was going to charge a parent by there income how would I charge them and what should be included
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-21-2013, 11:07 AM
mbullette's Avatar
mbullette mbullette is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 130
Default

I am not sure what state you are in but in Wisconsin if you are not licensed you can have 3 kids plus your own.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-28-2013, 11:10 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Smile Licensed Day Care vs. Unlicensed Day Care

To me my view is to each his own.
The following is why I just dropped from being a Licensed Family Child Care Center (that's what they call it now a center), that is being forced maintain the same rules that a regular Day Care Center that has multiple employees does. The paperwork is outragious, the background checks now have to be done quarterly for myself and yearly for each member of my family. I have never even had anything on my record. The Licensers that are being sent to each establishment all have their own / interpretation of the Day Care Rules.
I have been providing daycare for over 33 years, my first 20 years I had no idea there was such a thing as being Licensed. At that time I would have up to 12 children including my own 2 boys. My Idea, still to this day is, I want my Family daycare to be "family" based. The children came and still do come and become one of my extended family, never treated any different. We went/go for walks, we made meals and snacks together, we drove to school and such if weather was bad outside. I just installed a child safety alarm in my van that my husband and I didn't want to have to deal with turning off when by ourselves shopping etc., but that was a MAJOR part of my daycare, I actually was becoming depressed in the loss of my idea of daycare. I have always been a semi-structured, learn while playing, learning how to get along in a setting with other kids. My kids have always sang the ABC's while washing their hands, we have always had calender time. My daycare!!! It was the right decision for me!!!! Again to each his own. Just love the children with all your heart!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-23-2013, 10:36 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I am unlicensed and actually had planned to get licensed my first year. But the parents I have been providing care for do not support it. They don't want the state in their business or mine. I live in IL. Two of the parents I have as clients have jobs that you would think they would be more supportive of the state. One is a cook county detective and the other is a lieutenant for the fire department. They both believe the state does anything for money and prefer their children in a privately run home daycare. I'm not against licensed home daycares at all. But I think some people have a point about the state being too involved in our homes and lives.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-11-2014, 05:38 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Seriously? I live in IL and have never had any problems with licensing. It's a lot of work, but what business owner doesn't have a lot on their plate? I honestly feel like a licensed home daycare looks better. I actually think they should raise the standards to become and stay licensed! If you have nothing to hide, what are you worried about?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-11-2014, 05:40 PM
Imagination's Creations's Avatar
Imagination's Creations Imagination's Creations is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Illinois
Posts: 70
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Seriously? I live in IL and have never had any problems with licensing. It's a lot of work, but what business owner doesn't have a lot on their plate? I honestly feel like a licensed home daycare looks better. I actually think they should raise the standards to become and stay licensed! If you have nothing to hide, what are you worried about?
Whoops! I wasnt logged in!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-07-2014, 09:29 PM
ReniaS
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Unhappy Liscensed for 20 years now bullied by the Govt.

I am currently a licensed provider and after 20 years of no complaints social service has me under probation because my daughter-in-law and her child and 2 kids she watches comes to my house to do group activities, storytime crafts ect. Social Service says her kids count in my license when they are present even though they have an adult there responsible for them. I was told it may be silly to not allow 2 people with 9 kids versus 1 with 6 but they don't care it's the rules. I was told I cannot have any visitors period. Now they have come back 3 times in the last month and when I had my normal numbers the social worker said "Well then. let's do another walk-through" and proceeded to write me up for violations such as a baby falling asleep in my swing and me not moving her to a crib and that was only about a 3-4 minute span. I have ran an impeccable childcare for 20 years and now feel like I am being bullied and forced out. What are my rights can anyone tell me?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-08-2014, 04:38 AM
NoMoreJuice!'s Avatar
NoMoreJuice! NoMoreJuice! is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: KS
Posts: 285
Default Annoyed

I am seriously annoyed at anyone who chooses not to follow the rules. In Kansas, it is illegal to watch more than 2 children unrelated to you more than 20 hours a week. On my street alone, there are three unlicensed daycare homes that I know of. It is not that difficult to do the right thing and be licensed, UNLESS you have something to hide. Yes, the state can be a pain, but if you are an honest human being, you shouldn't have a problem with them. By the way, in KS you do have to hold a high school diploma to operate a licensed daycare.

Several of the posts in this thread make me very suspicious. What are you doing watching other people's children when the parents don't even want the state to get involved?

I've been falsely accused of things before, that's just the nature of doing business with the public. But I am damn sure going to comply with all state rules because, for the most part, they are for the SAFETY of the children in my care. Why on earth would parents trust someone who is never inspected, doesn't have to follow any safety rules, and has no accountability as to the quality of care they provide?

OF COURSE you're going to hear of abuse and neglect in licensed daycare....because they're the ones who are CAUGHT. Are you aware of how many unlicensed daycare home providers abuse and neglect children without ever being caught? It is totally unreasonable to think that licensed providers are the only ones just because you see it on the news.

I will always fight to turn in unlicensed providers, and not only because they are attacking my business. It is for the safety and well being of the kids.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-08-2014, 06:20 AM
MommaB3's Avatar
MommaB3 MommaB3 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Iowa
Posts: 22
Default

I have been both a licensed and unlicensed home provider. When I was licensed I felt everyone should be licensed or be shut down because I felt if I had to follow certain standards then everyone should. Currently I am not licensed. I run the same daycare that I did when I was licensed just without the license.

The biggest reason I didn't want to be licensed anymore was due to being told the things I needed to do to my home. This is my HOME, yes I run a business out of it. The children are safe here. I raised my kids here. I'm not going to have anything that would be unsafe for a child. I still have my CPR certification and do ongoing trainings. I have a degree in ECE. I totally understand all the rules for a center. That is a business that is run at a business not someone's home. I just feel some of the things that they require for a home provider is ridiculous. I don't want my home to look like a daycare center anymore than it already does. If that makes me a bad provider then I guess I am.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-08-2014, 06:26 AM
Wednesday's Avatar
Wednesday Wednesday is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,614
Default

This is the most ridiculous post i have ever read. I also turn in unlicensed providers. And who is she to talk about not having an education when she apparently doesn't herself? Her grammar is deplorable. I hope someone can find out who this person is and put her out of "business". There is definitely something wrong if parents seek out unlicensed providers. They must have something to hide, just like the provider. I have way more pride in my work than to be unlicensed. And I'm sure she's also uninsured. A real winner.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-08-2014, 06:31 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
Daycare.com Member/Mod
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 13,501
Default

OLD thread... 2010

The info may still be relevant but I doubt any of the unregistered posters have returned.

In response to the newest unregistered poster.... following the state rules is something you agreed to do when you applied for and received a license.

It doesn't mean you get to pick and choose which rules you follow and don't follow. If the state says you cannot have visitors when you are working, then you can't have visitors while working. Just like any other job!

Also the fact that you KNOW you aren't suppose to allow an infant to sleep in a swing and did and are complaining about the fact that you got written up for it verses acknowledging that you deserved the citation (because you did) says that it is a good thing that the state has been visiting you.

I read updates from my state DHS website every.single day about citations given to providers who don't follow SUID guidelines and safe sleep practices (even after taking regular trainings) and it literally makes me sick that so many providers take a KNOWN risk with someone else's child!

Then when it ends badly, we all look bad.

My advice to you is stop complaining about what you can't do and do what you are suppose to do and that is care for the children in your care. Visit with your daughter-in-law and grand children on YOUR time, not time your clients are paying you to care for their child according to the state's guidelines.

I don't mean to sound so harsh but I'm tired of reading about dead babies because provider's think they should be able to do whatever they want in their homes without understanding or recognizing that you agreed to follow these rules when you applied for your license.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReniaS View Post
I am currently a licensed provider and after 20 years of no complaints social service has me under probation because my daughter-in-law and her child and 2 kids she watches comes to my house to do group activities, storytime crafts ect. Social Service says her kids count in my license when they are present even though they have an adult there responsible for them. I was told it may be silly to not allow 2 people with 9 kids versus 1 with 6 but they don't care it's the rules. I was told I cannot have any visitors period. Now they have come back 3 times in the last month and when I had my normal numbers the social worker said "Well then. let's do another walk-through" and proceeded to write me up for violations such as a baby falling asleep in my swing and me not moving her to a crib and that was only about a 3-4 minute span. I have ran an impeccable childcare for 20 years and now feel like I am being bullied and forced out. What are my rights can anyone tell me?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-08-2014, 06:32 AM
Michelle's Avatar
Michelle Michelle is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,640
Default

a licensed daycare is good for everyone
it protects kids, gives parents some peace of mind, keeps providers on their toes, and is the only situation I would ever place my own kid if I had to put my kids in daycare.
Not every daycare is perfect (licensed or unlicensed) but the rules are in place so that kids are safe.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-08-2014, 07:24 AM
MarinaVanessa's Avatar
MarinaVanessa MarinaVanessa is offline
Family Childcare Home
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ventura County, CA
Posts: 5,972
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
OLD thread... 2010

The info may still be relevant but I doubt any of the unregistered posters have returned.

In response to the newest unregistered poster.... following the state rules is something you agreed to do when you applied for and received a license.

It doesn't mean you get to pick and choose which rules you follow and don't follow. If the state says you cannot have visitors when you are working, then you can't have visitors while working. Just like any other job!

Also the fact that you KNOW you aren't suppose to allow an infant to sleep in a swing and did and are complaining about the fact that you got written up for it verses acknowledging that you deserved the citation (because you did) says that it is a good thing that the state has been visiting you.

I read updates from my state DHS website every.single day about citations given to providers who don't follow SUID guidelines and safe sleep practices (even after taking regular trainings) and it literally makes me sick that so many providers take a KNOWN risk with someone else's child!

Then when it ends badly, we all look bad.

My advice to you is stop complaining about what you can't do and do what you are suppose to do and that is care for the children in your care. Visit with your daughter-in-law and grand children on YOUR time, not time your clients are paying you to care for their child according to the state's guidelines.

I don't mean to sound so harsh but I'm tired of reading about dead babies because provider's think they should be able to do whatever they want in their homes without understanding or recognizing that you agreed to follow these rules when you applied for your license.
Thank you BC. I couldn't have said it better.
__________________
Licensed Family Child Care Home - California
Blog: HelpingHands
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-08-2014, 09:15 AM
Starburst's Avatar
Starburst Starburst is offline
Provider in Training
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: California
Posts: 1,307
Default

For the record, I have heard of both licensed and unlicensed providers scandals. Does that mean that all licensed daycares are bad? No. Does that mean all unlicensed daycares are bad? No. The reason why licensed is more reported is because the licensing agency usually does unannounced drop-ins and they get caught; that doesn't necessarily mean that unlicensed daycares never harm children. Ever heard of the movie Unspeakable Acts (1990)? It's based on a true event in the 1980s where a couple ran an unlicensed daycare; and the wife was actually still considered minor at the time (17; but she told the parents she was 23). They allegedly sexually abused children and even preformed satanic rituals (such as animal sacrifices and chanting demonic curses) in front of the children. No one had a clue until one of the older children finally spoke up and told his parents about something he saw her doing. http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/198...buse-probation. In my Child, Family, And Community class the teacher told us about 2 women from a near by city that ran an unlicensed daycare in a small 1 bedroom apartment, they had 22 infants (even with a large FCC licence in this state you can't have more than 3 or 4 under 2 and a minimum of 35 sq per child inside is required). Infant care is really hard to find and it is a low income city (poor, desperate, and most likely uneducated/uninformed parents; maybe even some without papers trying to hide out). They only charged $10 a day ($10 x 5= $50/week and $50 x 22=$1100/week). They had all the children in high chairs (which they were pretty much placed in all day) that were lined up side by side set in front of TVs and would just go down the line to feed them or change them every so often. Yes, they weren't purposely abusing the children and were providing a much needed service and just 'making money', but at the expense of the children not getting the attention or even interactions that they need and deserve.

At the state I am currently in, you can only watch for one family other than your own without a license. At the state I am moving to, the rule is up to 3 children at a time from different families; not including your own. I have considered lately trying to see if I can watch a few children with in that legal limit while I am in the process of getting licensed, but I wouldn't just let a DC parent 'talk me out of getting licensed' because they are only going to be there for a few years at most; I would be the one who has to live with the choice for the rest of my career/life. I want my business to be up to my standards and want to do everything in my power to make me feel 'official' and accomplished and that includes getting licensed. Yes, it may just be a piece of paper to some (that's also what my ex-fiance said about getting married); but it's what it stands for that gives me the confidence of a professional business owner, just as any other business would require some type of business license.

Plus, I went to an FCC orientation meeting when I went out of state for my spring break and found at they offer some grants and other incentives for becoming a registered/ certified home care, joining the quality care program (available only after being a registered provider for 2 years), and even acquiring a certain level of education and/or continuing your education. At first I was nervous about getting licensed, now I'm excited! I see my business as my baby and just like the babies I would care for, I want it to thrive to it's full potential.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-19-2014, 01:36 PM
Vanessa_in_Babyland's Avatar
Vanessa_in_Babyland Vanessa_in_Babyland is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: SW Virginia
Posts: 13
Question Good information! Thank you all

After reading these posts there is so much great information and a lot to think about. Now, you can be unlicensed and be compliantů. Correct. For example, if your state allows you to care for up to four children ect. ect. If you are compliant and not breaking the law then how about doing volunteer inspections or taking classes on health and children's safety? I know I've heard your responses but I STILL don't see why everyone should be licensed. I see why it might make your quality better, but....I am coming from a Montessori school background and I think the parents are already seeing quality from my services. If I volunteer and continue my personal education would you say that is a great start. If I suddenly want to teach 6 kiddos then that seems like it's time to get licensed. Just thinking out loud here....thoughts?!?
__________________
"Education is not something which the teacher does, but....is a natural process which develops spontaneously in the human being" -Maria Montessori
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-19-2014, 05:10 PM
LysesKids's Avatar
LysesKids LysesKids is online now
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 289
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa_in_Babyland View Post
After reading these posts there is so much great information and a lot to think about. Now, you can be unlicensed and be compliant…. Correct. For example, if your state allows you to care for up to four children ect. ect. If you are compliant and not breaking the law then how about doing volunteer inspections or taking classes on health and children's safety? I know I've heard your responses but I STILL don't see why everyone should be licensed. I see why it might make your quality better, but....I am coming from a Montessori school background and I think the parents are already seeing quality from my services. If I volunteer and continue my personal education would you say that is a great start. If I suddenly want to teach 6 kiddos then that seems like it's time to get licensed. Just thinking out loud here....thoughts?!?
Yes, it's called being legally, license exempt… I am in a state that also allows up to 4 unrelated; and for the record I have done licensed, registered and license exempt care in a total of 6 states over 14 years and have classes out the ying yang under my belt, plus I have an A.A .S in Criminal Law & am a Postpartum Doula.

TN no longer offers registration for 4 or less kids… it's either license exempt or licensed… can't get licensed with 4 kids for one reason (BTW, my house is only 6 months old literally) - because its 784 sq ft instead of a doublewide over 1000 sq ft… I passed bacgkround and all that, but they said my house, even having the required indoor space & outdoor gated off play area, does not qualify.

I also do infant Montessori and will never have more than 4 babies under 2 years old… are they kidding? And yes, I can take the subsidy just as I did in MO as a registered provider, I just don't get as much as licensed people.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-15-2014, 09:23 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Cool Why some providers aren't licensed.

I have been in business for almost 15 years. Not all of them licensed. In my state it's about having things done to your house for approval. It took me 5 years before I could afford a house of my own which i could get licensed. Before i rented where many landlords didn't wan me to license the home because they feared the state coming in to tell them what is wrong with the house or feared being sued because a child died in the house. All of which is crazy and laws do protect the landlords form that happening.
I honestly have to say that I didn't always follow the rules. There is no way I can pay my bills on just a few dcks. I loved being licensed. I lost my house because my husband lost his job and I couldn't charge much being that too many daycares where spouting up after the many layoffs in my state. Once you move, the license is canceled. i'm trying to buy a home again but lenders need me to make triple what I actually do inorder to qualify for a home big enough to hold a decent daycare. I once closed my daycare so I could work. My first check was a 3rd of what I make in a weeks pay with daycare. My current landlord doesn't want me to get licensed, raised my rent, and is giving me 6 months to move because she wants to use the house for a 24 hour daycare. So yes, I have to break the rules. There is no way i can afford to do anything charging competing prices and keep only a handful of dcks. The parents i currently have, don't care about me being licensed anyway. ass long as i take good care of their children. i will become licensed again once I save enough money to move into my own house that i can freely license.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-16-2014, 07:14 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
Daycare.com Member/Mod
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 13,501
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I have been in business for almost 15 years. Not all of them licensed. In my state it's about having things done to your house for approval. It took me 5 years before I could afford a house of my own which i could get licensed. Before i rented where many landlords didn't wan me to license the home because they feared the state coming in to tell them what is wrong with the house or feared being sued because a child died in the house. All of which is crazy and laws do protect the landlords form that happening.
I honestly have to say that I didn't always follow the rules. There is no way I can pay my bills on just a few dcks. I loved being licensed. I lost my house because my husband lost his job and I couldn't charge much being that too many daycares where spouting up after the many layoffs in my state. Once you move, the license is canceled. i'm trying to buy a home again but lenders need me to make triple what I actually do inorder to qualify for a home big enough to hold a decent daycare. I once closed my daycare so I could work. My first check was a 3rd of what I make in a weeks pay with daycare. My current landlord doesn't want me to get licensed, raised my rent, and is giving me 6 months to move because she wants to use the house for a 24 hour daycare. So yes, I have to break the rules. There is no way i can afford to do anything charging competing prices and keep only a handful of dcks. The parents i currently have, don't care about me being licensed anyway. ass long as i take good care of their children. i will become licensed again once I save enough money to move into my own house that i can freely license.


Seriously? There is NEVER a good reason to break rules/laws.

If you don't like them or feel they are unfair than fight to change them but making an excuse to justify your reason for breaking the rules only makes you sound worse.

NONE of the excuses you used are valid reasons for breaking rules.

It's providers like you that make us all look bad.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-16-2014, 09:14 AM
LysesKids's Avatar
LysesKids LysesKids is online now
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 289
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post


Seriously? There is NEVER a good reason to break rules/laws.

If you don't like them or feel they are unfair than fight to change them but making an excuse to justify your reason for breaking the rules only makes you sound worse.

NONE of the excuses you used are valid reasons for breaking rules.

It's providers like you that make us all look bad.
THIS is so spot on... it's because of the rule breakers that many areas are starting to tighten the screws on everyone.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
illegal, illegal daycare, illegal providers, licensed, licensed vs private daycare, unlicensed daycare

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How Long Should 4 Year Old Nap Unregistered Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 313 04-05-2014 06:53 PM
Termination Gone Wrong MsKara Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 106 10-08-2013 11:37 AM
Daycare in your Basement JeepGirl6 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 14 12-05-2012 04:06 PM
Daycare Parents Handbook DancingQueen Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 24 12-04-2010 12:35 AM
Opening a 2nd daycare Unregistered Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 1 11-27-2010 07:17 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:29 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming