Daycare.com ForumDaycare Insurance Daycare Insurance LIST YOUR DAYCARE!

FIND A DAYCARE!

Facebook

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:30 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Default Which Topics Are Your Strengths / Weaknesses?

I find that I avoid topics that I haven't had recent experiences with, and prefer to leave it to those of you who do...

At the same time, I know where my strengths are, and reply to those.

I'm asking, sort of a quick reference guide for all of us- What thread topics do you feel most useful in, or avoid?

Me- I can help with contracts, policy enforcement (backbone stuff), and School Age issues. I avoid infant/ toddler stuff because I haven't worked with them in about 10 years.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:44 AM

I have a special ed background, in the areas of learning disabilities, Autism Spectrum Disorders, and Other Health Impairments such as ADHD. I wouldn't say I steer clear of replying to certain areas. If I have something to add, even if I don't have as much experience as others, I'll put in my two cents. I figure people will either agree or disagree with me and that's perfectly fine! Take my suggestions or not! That's okay!
Old 03-15-2011, 09:21 AM
Daycare.com Member

Strengths: different approaches to problems (I like to collaborate and brainstorm with others), products, starting a daycare, some medical questions
Weakness: child development, discipline, baby issues.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:42 AM

Strengths: child development, discipline (although I don't usually respond to those because it's very very hard to get a clear picture from a little snippet on a forum like this), working with parents, curriculum, preschool

Weaknesses: Infant, school age, meals/nutrition
Old 03-15-2011, 10:24 AM
Daycare.com Member

I'm new to all this, so for now I am asking a lot of questions, but I don't have too much to contribute.

I am a trained accountant, so I can answer questions on Canadian taxes and such.

Edit** I meant to add I have a (almost) 5 month old daughter, so I can be helpful with some infant issues, pumping and breast milk storage, and homemade baby food

Last edited by Maddy'sMommy; 03-15-2011 at 10:27 AM. Reason: fogot something
Old 03-15-2011, 10:43 AM

Strengths: I have a bachelors on psych w/ an emphasis in ECE and I've been working in child care for 22 years and have raised 6 children, so I have knowledge and tons of experience

Weakness: Very weak backbone I rarely stand up to parents, and when I have to my voice gets all weird and my face gets all red Sometimes I wonder how old I have to be before I grow up! At times I've posted and felt bullied by responses to what I've said, so often I just read w/out responding. Usually if I respond it's something I feel very strongly about.
I'm also horrible at keeping my paperwork organized...each year I start out great, but by summertime whatever system I'm using is ignored and I'm just stashing reciepts ect. everywhere
Old 03-15-2011, 11:06 AM
Daycare.com Member/Mod

Strengths: I have a good strong backbone and am not afraid to use my voice. I put everything in verbal AND written form. I am bossy and have a tendancy to never settle. I am also great at researching anything...if it is out there; I WILL find it. I am a critical thinker and see every viewpoint from every angle (something that drives my DH batty!)

This helps me in my job as a provider because I can communicate well with my dc parents. Even when I do not agree with them, I can be empathetic and understanding all the while helping them to understand that this is my job and I will not do what works for one at the expense of others.

Weaknesses: Infants. I do not really enjoy them much. I admire those of you who only take the babies (Catherder) because I could NEVER do it...It took me a while to realize that just because I prefer one age over another that it does mean I am not a bad provider. Because of that epiphany, I acted on it and do not take littles under a certain age.

Knowing my weakness helps me in my job because every child deserves the best and if I am not the one to give it, I can contribute to them getting the best by admitting I am not the one.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:18 PM

Strengths: Child development, allergies and dietary concerns, curriculum to some extent, breastfeeding

Weaknesses: backbone.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:03 PM

strengths - backbone in personal situations, health/nutrition, creating policies

weaknesses: backbone in business situations, school-agers, enforcing policies
Old 03-15-2011, 02:10 PM
Daycare.com Member

Weaknesses: Backbone, legalities of DC, disciplining other parents' children (I always feel like I'm going to scare the kids away or step on toes), planning meals, physical activities

Strengths: Many medical related issues, infants, arts/crafts, education, organization
Old 03-15-2011, 06:43 PM
Provider and Parent

Strengths: abuse recognition/investigation, medically challenged infants/toddlers, injury prevention, trauma/cardiac/renal care, advanced life support, fire suppression/prevention, wound/ostomy care, technical equipment

Weaknesses: SA/BA issues, gluten/peanut issues (still have not had), politics makes me crazy, I am a literal "bookworm" type. so look for help in "softly wording" parent issues occasionally

Life is a tragedy for those who feel and a comedy for those who think.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:43 PM
Child Care Provider

Strengths:
*Organization from room setups to paperwork
*Wording, I can re-write a negative into a positive and format papers
*Contracts and Policies
*Cleaning and Sanitizing
*Finding GREAT DEALS on like-new items for daycare
*Details, I'm very detail oriented and look for missing pieces or loop holes
*Being genuine

Weaknesses:
*Food/Nutrition....I'm a fast food junkie myself
*Illnesses....took a two hour class last week and man was I lost!
*Remembering faces....takes me a few times to recognize you by name
Old 03-16-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abigail View Post
*Remembering faces....takes me a few times to recognize you by name
Oh sing it sister, ME TOO! I'm so embarassed, I have grandparents that come twice a year to pick up their grandkid, and walk up to me saying, Hi, Mrs Nikki, it's been a long time, how is your family?" and I have to say "We're great, can you remind me who you are here for?" In a much nicer way, of course...

Tags
strengths, weeknesses