Daycare.com ForumDaycare Insurance Daycare Insurance LIST YOUR DAYCARE!

FIND A DAYCARE!

Facebook

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Curriculum

Curriculum Post any curriculum ideas, activites or projects that wouldbe helpful to our Daycare community. What is your teaching philosophy?

Old 03-15-2011, 03:27 PM
Daycare.com Member

Default St. Patrick's Day

What kind of activities and crafts are you doing for St. Patrick's Day?
Thursday we are going to eat lots of green things, have green cupcakes, and drink green milkshakes (tried this last year and they LOVED it!!).
I was just wondering what everyone else does.
Thanks!
Old 03-15-2011, 06:14 PM
Daycare.com Member

I have all young kids so i don't really get to crazy for the holidays but i like to do the crafts part. Today we painted 3 hearts on a peice of white paper.Then i cut them out into a 3 leaf clover.
I also wanted to do this craft but didn't have the right color chalk. Take a yellow and blue chalk to color a white shamrock and then paint with water over it to mix the colors to make green. Didn't get to try it but it seems like it would work.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:41 PM
Child Care Provider

We had clear shammrock shapes pre-cut. Not sure if it was plastic or some other material--I just saw the finished product. The kids all got small green squares of tissue paper to glue on then they got hung up.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:53 AM
Daycare Member

The big project this week for the 3+ age kiddos is to make leprechaun traps

I give them my saved collection of shoe boxes, tissue boxes, oatmeal canisters and paper towel rolls - along with tape, construx paper, glue, markers, paints, etc. and let them go nuts designing and building their own trap to trap a leprechaun. They do need help with cutting the cardboard - but the rest is up to them. Some of the kids get incredibly creative each year.

Then the folk-lore around here is that if they actually are lucky enough to trap a leprechaun in their trap, he has to drop all of the gold coins in his pockets - that he's collected from traveling around the world - before he leaves (leprechauns are very honest)

The dcks will set their traps around my house before they leave today, and hopefully by tomorrow morning, (and thanks to a coin shoppe in my neighborhood that sells bulk coins from foreign countries) the kids will have some foreign coins in their traps tomorrow morning:-))

I've been doing this activity for years now, and it's one of the favorite daycare memories of many of my alumni
Old 03-16-2011, 04:19 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammie View Post
The big project this week for the 3+ age kiddos is to make leprechaun traps

I give them my saved collection of shoe boxes, tissue boxes, oatmeal canisters and paper towel rolls - along with tape, construx paper, glue, markers, paints, etc. and let them go nuts designing and building their own trap to trap a leprechaun. They do need help with cutting the cardboard - but the rest is up to them. Some of the kids get incredibly creative each year.

Then the folk-lore around here is that if they actually are lucky enough to trap a leprechaun in their trap, he has to drop all of the gold coins in his pockets - that he's collected from traveling around the world - before he leaves (leprechauns are very honest)

The dcks will set their traps around my house before they leave today, and hopefully by tomorrow morning, (and thanks to a coin shoppe in my neighborhood that sells bulk coins from foreign countries) the kids will have some foreign coins in their traps tomorrow morning:-))

I've been doing this activity for years now, and it's one of the favorite daycare memories of many of my alumni
What a great idea!! So creative and I bet the kids love it!!

I don't have enough boxes today but maybe I could get the parents to bring some tomorrow morning and I'll head out tonight for coins and we can do this tomorrow as part of our St. Patty's celebration!! Then the leprachauns can leave coins to be found on Friday.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:22 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

We're going to make a little leprechaun handprint crafts and then this is our menu tomorrow. We may also do the leprechaun traps Pammie mentioned!

Breakfast - Green eggs, fruit and shamrock cinnamon rolls http://ptskjohnson.blogspot.com/2011...fast-idea.html

Lunch - Green mac n cheese, veggies, fruit and green milk

Snack - Cut up veggies with green ranch and no bake leprechaun hats http://www.kiboomu.com/2011/03/12/no...hats-for-kids/
Old 03-16-2011, 08:22 AM
New Daycare.com Member

I only have an 11 month old tomorrow so will do either a sticker craft with shamrock stickers, some green finger painting, or a rainbow craft. Anything we do will be working on language skills. We'll have stories and rhymes too. Not sure what else cos I wasn't supposed to be having him at all lol, just mostly playing it by ear.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:16 AM
Daycare.com Member

I have 3 & 4 year olds. Monday we made a rainbow with green shamrocks coming down. It was good to teach the colors of the rainbow and the order. Tuesday we made a shamock out of torn tissue I just cut the chamrock shape for them. Today we made a pot of gold out of black and yellow construction paper and some gold glitter. Tomorrow we are making a paper plate leprechaun. Crafts are a big deal artound here. We will be eating either green cupcakes or brownies and green food all day. Might steal the green mac & cheese idea as well as the green milk

Tags
saint patrick's - activites, saint patrick's day