Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Interviewing Extravaganza! It's Like A 3 Ring Circus!
wdmmom 08:13 AM 04-06-2011
I am interviewing for a few openings and I have turned down all possible prospects but 2 that I have yet to interview.

Is it me or do you see a whirlwind of problems at interviews like I do?

Here's a brief description of what I've encountered:

Candidate 1: Pre-interviewed on the phone. Her reason for leaving her other provider: SHE GAVE HIM JUICE! He's 2.5 yo and has no diet restrictions (that was obvious by looking at him.) The in-person interview went well but I could clearly tell she was wanting the GRAND tour. I only show the main floor to prospective clients. At a second interview, you will see the lower level as well but I never give the GRAND tour! I wouldn't expect to see someone's bed or dirty clothes in their laundry room and I don't expect them to want to see mine.
FYI...I've never heard back from these people either.

Candidate 2: Girl, age 3. Mom and dad both interview but child was eager to see and talk to dad so I spent the majority of the time conversing with the mom. They are needing a new provider because their provider is closing at the end of the school year. Mom emails me yesterday telling me that they want me to take care of their child BUT (there's always a BUT ) says, she wants to bring the child over for several short times so she can get adjusted. REALLY?! Start her a week early is my thought. LOL I don't allow observation or getting-to-know-you time. It's not like this girl hasn't been in daycare before.

Candidate 3: Shows up 15 minutes late. I tell her that I called but got no reply. I tell her that because she is late, I only have 15 minutes remaining so I hustle and bustle and she had no question except for rate. I quoted her super high. Come in arrogant, rude and unapologetic for being late, here's your sign!

Candidate 4: Twins with special needs. One is on oxygen and they were both born at 2 pounds each. That was a "NO" right off the bat. I only care for 1 infant under 12 months at a time and 2 with special needs. Sounds like the need a nanny more than a daycare.

On a good note: I pre-interviewed a lady a few days ago. The hours are amazing, the child is in the age group I am looking to fill and I WANT THIS JOB! HOPE ALL GOES WELL THIS EVENING!
cheerfuldom 08:56 AM 04-06-2011
That does sound really crazy. It doesn't sound weird to me that the one candidate wants some adjustment time for the kiddo but its up to you if you allow that or not. Good luck!
PeanutsGalore 09:10 AM 04-06-2011
Good luck!
TBird 09:15 AM 04-06-2011
Wow...how did you keep up with making folders and copies? Good luck to you!
DCMom 09:27 AM 04-06-2011
Sounds like my experiences lately...are there any 'normal' families anymore? I actually took the spots off of resource and referral because I was getting such, ummmm, interesting interviews.
daycare 09:58 AM 04-06-2011
I keep getting the can we do a drop in to get adjusted????

I had 3 interviews all great and all 3 asked. I said no and none of them signed...

Why are so many parents asking for this. I know it's a trust thing, but I just dont understand what they are looking for?
MarinaVanessa 12:20 PM 04-06-2011
That's why I have a 2 week trial period. If the family wants to come only a few days for a few short hours to drop DCK off to get adjusted, well that's ok by me but they are paying for it. I don't give out freebies. If DCK doesn't like it within 2 weeks well then they are more than welcome to find care elsewhere.

The only time that I ever allow a child to be here free of charge is when I do the first person to person interview which is after bours and when they come to the second interview during daycare hours so that I can see what the child is like with the kids. Either case the parent is here and I have no responsibility over the child.
wdmmom 12:47 PM 04-06-2011
I have a 2 week trial period also.
daycare 12:57 PM 04-06-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
I have a 2 week trial period also.
I also have a two week trail period. All three of the families wanted to come view my program and see how thier child got along with the other children enrolled. Only one family told me that they would not drop off their child for a paid two week trail, that they didnt know me or trust me enough to do that... They wanted to come with their child..
The other two families did not say anything at all.
Tags:interview - circus, interview gone bad, interviews, interviews - hate it
Reply Up