Daycare.com ForumDaycare Insurance American Web Loan LIST YOUR DAYCARE!

FIND A DAYCARE!

Facebook

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Curriculum

Curriculum Post any curriculum ideas, activites or projects that wouldbe helpful to our Daycare community. What is your teaching philosophy?

Old 05-20-2011, 02:12 PM
New Daycare.com Member

Question Space Theme Help

Hello, I'm still pretty new to home child care. Last summer I did a space theme and am wanting to do it again this year. I would love some ideas on how to make it more hands on/interactive. I only three children two of my own 15 months and 8 years and one dck who is 4. As you can tell I am limited on budget. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!! . Thanks!
Old 05-21-2011, 07:22 AM
Unregistered

Default space theme

Hi, my kids the space theme! We have collected small rocks and painted them silver for "moon rocks". also, decorate two paper bowls[like paper plates, but bowls, not the shiny kids, more like cardboard] with markers stickers etc. glue together to make a space ship. then glue a pom pom with googly eyes on top and cover with a small applesauce[clear] container so it looks like the "alien" is flying the ship. that one came from Mr Maker!
We have drawn our own space ships and planned our own planets with everything we would want in our world. Hope that helps!
Old 05-21-2011, 01:00 PM
New Daycare.com Member

Thanks so much!! It does help alot.
Old 05-21-2011, 04:05 PM
Child Care Provider

For a Space Theme....what do you want to focus it on?

Aliens?
Space Ships?
Space Shuttles?
Moon/Stars?
Old 05-23-2011, 03:21 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

we paper maiche'd balloons and painted them to look like planets. we even paper maiche'd a huge punching balloon to be the sun, and then hung them all up in the DC room.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:13 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Make your own moon sand

A sensory tub (here's an example but you may need to adjust for age appropriateness)

http://countingcoconuts.blogspot.com...playdough.html

The playdoh in the above example

Sponge painted "stars" on black paper (cut sponges to shape, use silver, white, and yellow paint)

Get a large cardboard box, pretend it's a rocket, and play "blast off"

Space story books
Old 05-24-2011, 07:52 AM
New Daycare.com Member

Good question. Last year we talked about the planets, stars (contilations) how they are born and "die". My (then) three year learned how many planets. My son learned the names. I really not sure what I want to focus on.

Tags
theme - space, themes