Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Well Do You Know Your States Handbook
Country Kids 08:03 AM 06-30-2011
I love the discussions we have here. Very insightful and I'm always learning something new. What I'm wondering though is how many of you know exactly what your state requires and do you see any of the rules contradicting each other?

We have had discussions in the past on supervision of the children and when looking through my book I came across our rules but they seem to contradict each other. See what you think.

Be within sight and/or sound of all children at all times;

Be aware of what each child is doing at all times; and

Be physically present when preschool age or younger children are playing outside unless the outside play area is fully fenced and hazard free. If the outside play area is fully fenced and hazard free, the provider must be within sight and/or sound of the children.

So I can legally be in another part of my house as long as I can hear them according to this but I won't be aware of what each child is doing. I see this as a very scary thing because you can be following the rules but if something happens to little Suzy the state/parents could come back on you and say but did you know what she was doing?

Someone asked during a discussion if providers knew what their dck were doing 100% of the time. It looks to me that according to our rules that we are suppose to know what they are doing 100% of the time.

I cannot in humanly possible ways be with in sound (out of the room) all children and know what each child is doing during that time. Also if they are outside playing I can hear them but wouldn't know what each individual child is doing.

This is another reason I don't do any housecleaning during the day or go in other parts of my house.

Does anyone else have these types of rules?
Cat Herder 08:44 AM 06-30-2011
I know mine TOO well.

Some of the written rules are hilarious...usually due to someone, at some time, doing something stupid.

When pressed the verbal answer is always "Use sound judgement with due regard for the safety and well being of the majority of children in care..."

I think this is from a sticker on their phones
TBird 08:53 AM 06-30-2011
Originally Posted by catherder:
i know mine too well.

Some of the written rules are hilarious...usually due to someone, at some time, doing something stupid.

When pressed the verbal answer is always "use sound judgement with due regard for the safety and well being of the majority of children in care..."

i think this is from a sticker on their phones
ditto!!!
nannyde 09:02 AM 06-30-2011
Well I've had three unnanounced inspections in the last 3.5 years and I've aced every one of them so I must be doing something right!!!

I've read my regs six thousand times. I don't read the sections that don't apply to my business though so I can run into stuff I haven't heard before... like well water rules or pool rules.

My State pretty much says "careful supervision at all times". It's actually brilliant if you think about it.

I never allow kids UP in a room without an adult within a few feet of them at ALL times. They are never outside without an adult within a few feet of them.

The only time the kids are in the house without an adult within a few feet of them with full visual and hearing is when they are napping. I have cameras for that. I don't watch the kids sleep but I do check on them every ten minutes or so and I have the cameras for them that are see in the dark cameras.

My parents pay for a second person to be here whenever there are kids up in the house. It's hard to find parents who will pay for a one to four ratio though. It makes getting clients a lot harder. Supervision is EXPENSIVE
Reply Up