Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Should I let it be Known to Prospective Families?
momma4many 08:15 AM 06-30-2011
I have been going back and forth deciding if I should let prospective clients or even current clients know that I am working towards my BA in psych with a minor in child development? The reason I go back and forth is b/c a good friend and professor at a nearby university told me to be careful telling clients/prospective clients about this unless I want to play family therapist and/or give diagnosis (which I obviously cannot do, she was just making a point, I think) for free. I know that sounds harsh, but I think she was just speaking out of her own experience.

I don't tell any of them now unless they ask b/c I don't want them to think my studying interferes w/ daycare time or that I will be quitting in a year or two when I have my degree.

What do you all think about this?
Cat Herder 08:18 AM 06-30-2011
I would be so excited I would have T-Shirts made!!!!!!!!

That is so awesome....

Just tell them you legally cannot give advice without them first scheduling an appt. Your insurance wont allow it.

That is what my sons ADD "councelor" told me when I asked if eating more fish would really help me remember things in the parking lot... She's just that cool. I adore her.
laundrymom 08:59 AM 06-30-2011
I would! It's a huge accomplishment!! If they asked me for advice just tell them, sorry, I have my childcare provider hat on right now, and my childcare fees in place, I can change to my dr hat but the fees are a bit higher.
jojosmommy 10:49 AM 06-30-2011
I agree that you should be proud however I think parents may have other ideas. I have my teaching lic and still teach in the evenings for special ed. Every parent I tell this parents get nervous about me quitting daycare and going back to teaching. It seems to become more of a convo piece than it is worth. I casually mention it when I talk about accomodations and curriculum but overall I don't make a big deal about the evening experience b/c parents get overly concerned about what that will mean for their child.
jen 11:05 AM 06-30-2011
I have a degree in Community Psychology and my husband is getting his Master's in Special Education...nobody has tried to have their child diagnosed as of yet! LOL!
AmandasFCC 12:08 PM 06-30-2011
Originally Posted by momma4many:
I have been going back and forth deciding if I should let prospective clients or even current clients know that I am working towards my BA in psych with a minor in child development? The reason I go back and forth is b/c a good friend and professor at a nearby university told me to be careful telling clients/prospective clients about this unless I want to play family therapist and/or give diagnosis (which I obviously cannot do, she was just making a point, I think) for free. I know that sounds harsh, but I think she was just speaking out of her own experience.

I don't tell any of them now unless they ask b/c I don't want them to think my studying interferes w/ daycare time or that I will be quitting in a year or two when I have my degree.

What do you all think about this?

I'll tell you my experience. I have a BA in psych, focused on development .... I advertised this heavily when I first started because I figured as a newbie into daycare and a newbie in town, I needed something to prove I'm not a flake ....

The kids I got from those ads were ATROCIOUS!!! The parents freely admitted that they hoped that because of my degree I'd be able to turn them around. And yes, I DID play family therapist for a lot of them and it was AWFUL.

I tell people when they come for interviews now about my education, but I simply state that I have a BA, as I point to my degree hanging on the wall, and that I complete a lot of professional development and am working on my ECE. It's amazing how leaving out what the BA is in made a difference in the expectations of me.
Blackcat31 12:11 PM 06-30-2011
Originally Posted by AmandasFCC:
I'll tell you my experience. I have a BA in psych, focused on development .... I advertised this heavily when I first started because I figured as a newbie into daycare and a newbie in town, I needed something to prove I'm not a flake ....

The kids I got from those ads were ATROCIOUS!!! The parents freely admitted that they hoped that because of my degree I'd be able to turn them around. And yes, I DID play family therapist for a lot of them and it was AWFUL.

I tell people when they come for interviews now about my education, but I simply state that I have a BA, as I point to my degree hanging on the wall, and that I complete a lot of professional development and am working on my ECE. It's amazing how leaving out what the BA is in made a difference in the expectations of me.
Well thank goodness you aren't a gynecologist then.... sorry, I am only 1.5 days away from my week long vacation so I am feeling a bit lightheaded! LOL!!
momma4many 03:44 PM 06-30-2011
Originally Posted by jojosmommy:
I agree that you should be proud however I think parents may have other ideas. I have my teaching lic and still teach in the evenings for special ed. Every parent I tell this parents get nervous about me quitting daycare and going back to teaching. It seems to become more of a convo piece than it is worth. I casually mention it when I talk about accomodations and curriculum but overall I don't make a big deal about the evening experience b/c parents get overly concerned about what that will mean for their child.
This is what I was concerned about, that they would be hesitant b/c they wonder if I will be quitting soon.
Originally Posted by AmandasFCC:

Yep, this too was my one of my main concerns. Thanks for sharing your experience. I interviewed one mother who was a referral from a friend. This friend I have known since I was a kid, so she obviously knows me well and knows I am getting my BA. The mother I interviewed asked me questions only geared towards her son's "issues" (her words). I told her I was not qualified to give her advice on those things, as I do not yet have my degree...yadda yadda...but it made my other friend's advice about not telling anyone ring much louder in my ears.

Expectations. Yes, that is a good way to put it. The one mother who knew about it thus far seemed to have a lot of expectations of me with her son and his "issues" being helped while he was here. We ended up deciding this would not be a good fit b/c of other things, mainly her erratic work schedule and the fact that I REQUIRE a contract, but I sort of felt like I dodged a bullet there!
momma4many 03:45 PM 06-30-2011
Also, thank you everyone for the encouragement and positive responses to me working towards my BA!! I appreciate it
Reply Up